How can I find the best option for me? Exploring Opportunities: Self-Assessment
As you explore the world of Gap Year Options and Year of Service opportunities, here are some things you will want to consider a thorough self-assessment. Begin by thinking through your motivations. Why are you considering a year of service option? Do you have a genuine desire to serve and learn or are you just not really sure what you want to do or have concerns about the job market?
Think through and begin to answer for yourself the following types of questions:
- Why are you considering this and what do you hope to gain?
- When would you like to go and for how long?
- Where would you like to serve? (e.g. U.S. or overseas)
- What would you like to do, in what capacity?
- What do you have an interest or passion for?
- Whom do you want to serve? What population do you want to work with?
- How do you see a year of service fitting into future career goals?
Note: Many of the above resources were adapted from an article written by Jon McConnell, Student Development Programs Director, Haas Center for Public Service, Stanford University and Alice Bergman, Former Director, Reed College Career Center.