What can I do with a major in Consumer Journalism ?
UGA Specific Information for Consumer Journalism
The Consumer Journalism major at the University of Georgia is a high-demand major that provides the opportunity to combine interests in family and consumer sciences with advertising, public relations, journalism, entertainment & media studies, and new media. Students have flexibility to take courses in both the College of Family and Consumer Sciences and the Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication.
Graduates pursue a variety of careers in media, publishing, and non-profit agencies.
Class of 2018 Career Outcomes for Consumer Journalism *
** Includes Self-Employed
- Department of Financial Planning, Housing, and Consumer Economics
- Grady College Academic Programs
- The Red and Black
- Grady Newsource
- infUSion magazine
- HerCampus at UGA
- UGA PreMed Magazine
- WUOG 90.5
- University of Georgia's Online News Association/Society of Professional Journalists
- UGA's National Association of Black Journalists
- Ad Club at UGA
- PR Student Society of America - UGA
- Association for Women in Sports Media at UGA
- National Press Photographer's Association Student Chapter at UGA
- UGA Filmmaking Union
- DiGamma Kappa Professional Broadcast Society
- Study Away and International Internship in London
- Summer Study in Washington, DC
- Go Global with Grady
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
- Participate in the Career Center's Intern for a Day program to explore career fields of interest.
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- Utilize Handshake to find internship, part-time job, or volunteer opportunities related to your career fields of interest.
- Conduct informational interviews. Build your network through brief one-on-one conversations with professionals in your career fields of interest. Speak to your Career Consultant to discuss how to set up and prepare for informational interviews.
- Join a student organization related to your interests and goals. Get active and taken on leadership roles in professional, service, social, advocacy, and/or honor organizations to gain valuable experience.
- Look for student-specific and career resources from professional associations affiliated with your career fields of interest.
- Seek research, presentation, and writing opportunities.
- Explore and discuss graduate school options and resources early.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career One Stop
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Use your 810/811 number to access Online Resources and select "Career Insider". Select "Industries and Professions".)
- Candid Career (Use your 810/811 number to access Online Resources and select "CandidCareer.com". View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Guide to Careers in Advertising
- Funds for Writers
- 10 Surprising Pieces of Career Advice from the Editors of Elle, InStyle, & Teen Vogue via Fashionista
- Georgia Press Association Job Bank
- Society of Professional Journalists Career Center
- Association for Women in Communications Career Center
- National Association of Black Journalists Career Center
- South Asian Journalists Association Job Bank
- Investigative Reporters and Editors Job Center
- American Marketing Association Job Board
- American Marketing Association Atlanta Jobs and Careers
- New York American Marketing Association Career Center
- Opportunities in Public Affairs (Research, Writing, and Journalism Jobs)
- The Creative Ham
- PRSA Job Center
- Association of Alternative Newsmedia Jobs/Careers
- News Media Alliance Career Center
- Education Writers Association Career Center
- Digital Media Jobs Network
- FlexJobs - News and Journalism
- Ed2010 "Whisper Jobs"
- Corporation for Public Broadcasting JobLine
- Broadcast Career Link
- FashionWorkie (UK Fashion Jobs)
- Society of Professional Journalists
- Specialized Journalism Professional Associations
- American Advertising Federation
- Specialized Advertising Professional Associations
- American Marketing Association
- Specialized Marketing Professional Associations
- Public Relations Society of America
- Specialized PR Professional Associations
- Entertainment Professional Associations
- The Association of Magazine Media