What can I do with a major in Criminal Justice?
UGA Specific Information for Criminal Justice
At The University of Georgia, Criminal Justice (CJ) operates as an interdisciplinary program that draws its courses primarily from the social sciences and humanities in Arts and Sciences. A CJ major leads to a Bachelor of Arts Degree and offers undergraduate students the opportunity to pursue studies leading to a career in administration of justice, related fields, or select professional and graduate programs. Career opportunities for students who study CJ are vast. In fact, those who seek employment immediately after completing their degree generally have good prospects in such areas as local, state, and some federal law enforcement, state and federal probation and parole, correctional counseling, court services and administration, juvenile justice and family services, and private security.
Employers Hiring UGA Criminal Justice for the Class of 2016*
Athens-Clarke County Police Department | Braydon Anderson Photography | Clark & Washington, LLC | Clarke County Division of Family and Children’s Services | Cobb County Police Department | Georgia Department of Community Supervision | Gilmer Christian Learning Center | Governor Nathan Deal Office of the Governor | Gwinnett County Police Department | Hall Booth Smith, PC | Johnson Marlowe LLP | Kennesaw State University | Landmark Hospitals | Mark Spain Real Estate | MATRIX Resources | Northside Psychological Services | Publix Super Markets, Inc. | Recreation After School Program | Reid Meloy | Securitas Security Services USA, Inc. | Southeastern Freight Lines | Strong & Hanni Law Firm PC | The University of Georgia | TruGreen Limited Partnership | United Airlines, Inc.
Job Titles of UGA Criminal Justice Majors for the Class of 2016*
Assistant Paralegal | Child Development Specialist | Community Supervision Officer | Community Supervision Officer/Probation Officer | Customer Care Analyst | Deli Clerk | Document Management Clerk | File Clerk | Flight Attendant | Freight Handler | Government Relations Assistant | Investigations Case Manager | Listing Agent | Ministry Assistant | Photographer & Videographer | Planner | Police Officer | Police Trainee | Public Safety Specialist | Quality Assurance Analyst | Recreational Sports Utility Worker | Research Assistant | Security Officer | Territory Service Representative | Unit Tech
Graduate/Professional Schools Attended by UGA Criminal Justice Majors for the Class of 2016*
Georgia Highlands College | Georgia State University | Mercer University | The Ohio State University | The University of Georgia | The University of Mississippi | The University of Texas at Austin | The University of West Georgia
UGA Criminal Justice Career Outcomes for the Class of 2016*
** Includes Self-Employed
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Researching Careers: Regardless of the career that you desire to pursue, talking with professionals in that field is essential and can help validate your decisions. Use the Informational Interview guidelines in the UGA Career Guide to learn more about how to connect with individuals in your areas of interest.
Graduate School: If you are interested in going to graduate school, check out these graduate school prep resources on the UGA Career Center’s website
For additional graduate school help, meet with your Career Consultant at the UGA Career Center.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Georgia Career Information Center (accessible only on campus computers)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- American Bar Association
- American Criminal Justice Assoc.
- American Society of Criminology
- Archive of Criminal Justice Data
- Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms, and Explosives
- Bureau of Justice Statistics
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Law Enforcement Agencies & Careers/Job Postings
- National Assoc. of Legal Assistants
- National Criminal Justice Assoc.
- National Criminal Justice Service
- National Federation of Paralegal Assoc
- National Narcotic Officers Association
- National Security Agency
- The Connection Corrections Network News
- The Justice Research and Statistics Association
- The American Parole and Probation Association
- United States Department of Justice