Major Choice Resources
Access Online and Print Resources
- Fill out the Majors Checklist.
- Ask yourself what you need to know about yourself before you choose a major.
- Use the online course catalog, the UGA Bulletin, to view major requirements, course descriptions, course syllabi, college-wide requirements, and information on minors and certificates. Direct links to departmental websites are also provided here.
- Identify recommended prerequisites if you intend to go to med school or law school.
Take Career Tests
Talk to Others
- Make an appointment with the Career Consultant who assists undecided/undeclared students.
- Attend "Careers in…" panels and Choosing a Major workshops.
- Join the Student Alumni Association and connect with alums who have taken their majors and turn them into careers in a wide variety of areas.
- Talk to professors and academic advisors.
- Ask family and friends how they chose their majors.
Enroll in a Class
- Take the ECHD 2050: Academic and Career Planning class. This 2-credit class is designed for first- and second- year students to assist you in selecting a major and researching careers. Explore options through self-exploration, assessment of career and academic interests, and gain an understanding of the work world.
Ask Yourself a Few Questions
- What pre-requisites are required to enter or complete this major? See the UGA Bulletin.
- Is it possible to minor or complete a certificate in this area? View minor and certificate options in the UGA Bulletin.
- Which courses within this major do I find interesting?
- What are examples of career opportunities for this major?