Alumni Career Services: Sample Interview Questions
Sample Interview Questions
You can schedule a mock interview with your career consultant to practice your responses to any type of interview question.
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why are you interested in this position?
- What do you know about our company/ organization/school?
- What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
- What two or three accomplishments have given you the most satisfaction? Why?
- How would a friend or professor describe you?
- What was your thought process when selecting your college/university/major?
- What are your future career goals? Where would you like to be in 10 years?
- Why should I hire you over any other candidate?
- Tell me about a time when you had to resolve a difference of opinion with a co-worker, customer, or supervisor. How do you feel you showed respect?
- Tell me about a time you failed at something.
- Give me an example of a time when you did not meet a deadline. How did you handle it?
- Describe the most creative presentation or idea that you developed or implemented.
- Tell me about a tough decision you made. What steps and considerations did you take to make that decision?
- What have you done in your present or previous job that goes beyond what was required?
- Describe a situation in which you were able to use persuasion to successfully convince someone to approach things your way.
- Tell me about a time when you faced an ethical dilemma and how you handled it.
- What are three effective leadership qualities you think are important? How have you demonstrated these qualities in your past or current position?
- Give me a specific example of a time when you had to address an angry customer. What was the problem and what was the outcome?
- Tell me about a time when you demonstrated excellent communication skills. What did you need to communicate, and how did you communicate the information clearly?
- How many pennies would it take to reach from the ground to the top of the Empire State Building?
- How many telephones are there in the U.S.?
- How would you redesign an ATM machine to make it more user-friendly?
- How many gallons of gasoline does an average gas station is America sell on an average day?
- What would you do if the priorities suddenly changed on a project you were working on?
- What would you do if a team member was not meeting your expectations?
Questions To Ask Employers
- Click “Jobs” along the top menu.
- Select “Full-Time Job,” “Part-Time,” “Internship,” or “On-Campus” along the top, or use the search bar to search for specific employers, job titles, or locations.
- How much travel will be involved in the position?
- How would you describe the work environment? Company culture?
- What type of training program or orientation does a new employee receive?
- What is the typical career path of someone in this position?
- What are the next steps in your search process, and what is your hiring timeline for this position?
When asking questions, state your company research and then ask a question. For example: "I saw in the job description that I would be working on A, B & C. How much time will I spend on each area in a typical day?"