UGA Student Employee of the Year: FAQ
What is National Student Employment Week?
Working students and their employers provide immeasurable contributions to their universities and to their community. This week was established to honor these students working on campus and their employers.
Why celebrate National Student Employment Week?
It is a special week set aside to draw awareness to the contributions student employees make in the day to day operations of the university.
What is the National Student Employee of the Year Award?
Each spring, the National Student Employment Association coordinates a selection process and chooses the National Student Employee of the Year to recognize the outstanding contributions and achievements of students.
Who is Eligible?
• All undergraduate students enrolled at The University of Georgia and are employed on-campus.
• All graduate students who are on the student employee payroll and are performing student employee jobs. Graduate Administrative, Research or Teaching Assistants are NOT eligible.
What are the eligible terms of employment?
Students must have been employed for a minimum of 6 months part-time between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017 (anticipated). This is equivalent to 240 working hours during the year period.
How many students can I nominate?
Each direct supervisor can nominate one student employee.
How do I nominate a student?
You may click here to nominate a student worker by filling out and submitting the on-line nomination form.
What criteria will be used for SEOTY selection?
Students will be evaluated on the following, equally weighed qualities:
- Quality of Work
- Uniqueness of Contribution
When are nominations due?
UGA's campus nominations are to be submitted on-line by February 7, 2017.
When is The University of Georgia Student Employee of the Year announced?
The University of Georgia Fifth Annual Student Employee of the Year will be announced April 12, 2017 during the recognition luncheon at the Tate Student Center.
Who is invited to the recognition luncheon?
There will be a luncheon honoring the top 100 nominees and their nominating supervisors on April 12, 2017. Invitations will be sent on Friday, March 17, 2017.
What is the process for selecting a National Student Employee of the Year?
After The University of Georgia selects its campus winner, UGA will submit that student's application to the regional competition by March 1, 2017.
The regional winner will be submitted to the National Student Employment Association to compete on the national level.
The National Student Employee of the Year is selected and the winner's school is notified by April 4, 2017.
What will student nominees receive?
- Campus: Top 100 nominees will receive a certificate plus an invitation to the recognition luncheon. The campus winner will have his/her name engraved on a plaque that is housed in the Career Center's Student Employment Office.
- Regional: Winner will receive a plaque from the Southern Association of Student Employment Administrators (SASEA). The nominating office will also receive a certificate acknowledging their nominee's selection as SASEA's Student Employee of the Year.
- National: NSEA's National Student Employee of the Year will receive a $1,000 cash award presented by NSEA at the student's home campus.
How can I show appreciation to my student employee during Student Employment Week?
• Provide lunch to your student employee one day.
• Reward them with gift certificates.
• Post their picture on a bulletin board or webpage.
• Give a card, flowers, or candy.
• Make a care package.
• Be creative!