What can I do with a major in Music Theory?
UGA Specific Information for Music Theory
The program of study leading to the degree Bachelor of Music with a major in Music Theory is structured to give a strong foundation in the academic study of music theory with concentrations in music history, performance, and an introduction to composition. The course of study in music theory includes the areas of form and analysis, counterpoint, and compositional techniques, and culminates in a research project which demonstrates the student's knowledge and abilities in the field.
The rigor of coursework students to pursue graduate studies in research-oriented music programs and other programs that do not require a related undergraduate major. Other careers open to the graduate include studio teaching, church music, music editing and publishing, and performance.
Employers Hiring UGA Music Theory for the Class of 2016*
N3 | St John’s Episcopal Church | The Home Depot
Possible Employers Who May Hire UGA Music Theory Majors
Entertainment Companies | Festival Organizations | Media Firms | Music and Film Studios | Music Industry Associations | Orchestras and Bands | Performing Arts Centers | Production Companies | Various School Districts
Job Titles of UGA Music Theory Majors for the Class of 2016*
Business Development Representative | Staff Singer | TA Coordinator
Possible Job Titles for UGA Music Theory Majors
Band Director | Composer/Arranger | Film Music Director/Editor | Music Publicist | Music Teacher | Orchestra Librarian | Talent Agent
Graduate/Professional Schools Attended by UGA Music Theory Majors for the Class of 2016*
San Francisco Conservatory of Music | The University of Georgia
UGA Music Theory Career Outcomes for the Class of 2016*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Hugh Hodgson School of Music Website
- HHSOM Student Organizations
- Collegium Musicum
- Music Teachers National Association Collegiate Chapter: T.O.N.I.C.
- UGA American Choral Directors Association
- UGA Music Therapy Student Association
- UGA's Chapter of the Collegiate National Association of Music Education (CNAfME)
- Musicology Ethnomusicology Student Association
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (Men's Social Fraternity)
- Sigma Alpha Iota (Women's Professional Music Fraternity)
- Kappa Kappa Psi (Coed Professional Band Fraternity)
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the UGA Involvement Network
- Connect with your Career Consultant
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
- Get involved and build your resume early.
- Consider internships and volunteer opportunities to demonstrate work ethic and experience through-out your resume.
- Join student organizations that fit your interests and career goals.
- Consider informational interviews of professionals within your field.
- Visit the career center website or career guide for more information about informational interviewing including questions to ask and a cold calling script.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Georgia Career Information Center (accessible only on campus computers)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- LinkedIn Career Insights Tool (search what uga alumni do, what they studied, what they are skilled at, where they live, where they work and what they are skilled at)
Job Search Resources
- Music Jobs
- Production Hub
- ShowBizJobs (mostly LA & NY)
- MediaBiz Jobs
- Entertainment Careers
- My Music Job
- Musicians Contact
- Careers in Music
- Music Online: Orchestras in the U.S.