Career Events & Arch Ready Programs
UGA VIRTUAL Engineering and Computer Science Career & Internship Fair - Fall 2020
Date: October 1, 2020
Time: 1:00 pm until 5:00 pm
Location: Virtual Venue (Online) - Handshake
The UGA VIRTUAL Engineering and Computer Science Career & Internship Fair event will be held on Handshake.
This event provides an opportunity for students to connect with employers who are seeking candidates for internships, co-ops, and/or full-time positions. Freshman, Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors and Graduate Students are all encouraged to attend.
To register for the UGA VIRTUAL Engineering and Computer Science Career & Internship Fair:
- Log in to your Handshake account, click on Events, and select the “virtual” and “career fairs” filters.
- Register for the fair. Your registration is required to sign up for group sessions (30 minutes) and 1:1 sessions (10 minutes) with employers.
- Set your Handshake account privacy settings to “COMMUNITY” to sign up for group and 1:1 sessions with employers. You can do this by clicking on your photo or initials in the top right corner of Handshake and selecting “Settings & Privacy”.
Create your schedule to connect with employers:
- Once registered, check out “Available sessions” for employers attending the fair.
Should you notice a large number of "Employer has no sessions available.", please check back to review available sessions since employers may still be in the process of posting their group and 1:1 sessions to Handshake.
- To narrow your search, click on “All filters”.
Strategy: Consider finding those employers of most interest to you first to schedule 1:1 sessions (1:1 sessions last 10 minutes).
FYI: You may sign up for group sessions or 1:1 sessions with employers up to one minute before the session on the day of the fair, but we encourage you to plan ahead to ensure that there are open slots
** For a 4-minute video on how to register and sign up for sessions, watch the Handshake video here
How to Prepare:
- Update your Handshake Profile
- You can do this by clicking on your photo or initials in the top right corner of Handshake and selecting “My Profile”
- Be sure to update your GPA, Major, Preferred Name, Work Experience, Projects, and more!
- In your Documents section, click on your preferred resume, select “Edit Document” and set it to “Public” for employers to review during the Career Fair
- Check your technical requirements (required browsers: Chrome and Firefox). Text-based chat will be an option if you do not have access to a webcam. Students can access sessions 5 minutes early to test audio and video.
- Check out this blog for Handshake’s Top 10 Tips!
- Handshake Virtual Fairs: Accessibility
- Handshake Virtual Fairs: Trust & Safety
- Plan what to wear
- Research employers attending
- Practice your pitch
On the day of the fair, you will be able to access the fair online and through your Handshake App. Keep an eye on your email and follow us on social media @UGACareerCenter, as we will continue sharing resources and tips to help you prepare for and navigate the virtual fair platform.
Recommended dress for this event: Business Professional
More information: (706) 542-3375
This event is sponsored by the University of Georgia
*Unless otherwise noted, all University of Georgia Career Center events are for University of Georgia students and University of Georgia alumni only. Some employer information sessions are conducted by invitation only. Before attending an employer information session, please check the event details in Handshake to determine any attendance eligibility requirements.The Career Center is committed to providing access for all people. If you have accessibility concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 2 weeks prior to the event to arrange reasonable accommodations.