In our world today, it is not atypical for the entire recruitment process to be conducted virtually. Navigating the job interview process can be intimidating for anyone –particularly a recent graduate starting out in their professional career—and the transition to virtual can make the process a bit trickier. We’ve added some tips and tricks, from the employer’s perspective, that we hope will help you show off your skills in a virtual interview.
General Tips and Tricks
- The interview is the chance to sell yourself
- Always be prepared to be on video and look professional
- Make sure the recruiter knows you are passionate about the position
- Connect your past experience to why you feel you would be a good fit for the role
Do’s and Don’ts
- Speak clearly and at a normal volume
- Frame your past experience in a positive light
- Troubleshoot potential tech issues ahead of time
- Use action verbs
- Yell into the microphone/phone speaker
- Negatively reflect upon past experiences
- Wait until the time of the interview to check out the platform
- Use filler words
Environment and Surroundings
- Conduct interview in a well-lit, quiet area
- Somewhere where you will not be disturbed for the duration of the meeting
- Be sure to be camera-ready
- Make sure your surroundings look decently-professional
- Be mindful of your facial expressions
- Be aware of your surroundings and background
- Be proactive and test the platform prior to the interview.
- Can you see?
- Can you hear?
- Can you be heard?
- Utilize the chat function if you are having difficulties.
- Check that your settings have the correct input and output device, some platforms will default to computer when you are trying to speak into headphones
- No audio still? Give the interviewer your number via the chat in the interview platform
- You can even use your phone for audio and your computer for video if needed
- If you do have tech issues, the most important thing is to apologize and move on.
- Don’t make the issues the focus of your interview
- Constant apologizing detracts from the real purpose of the interview, focus instead on showcasing your skills
If you are interested in a Future in Technology Sales, N3 might be the right FIT for you! Check out our open positions at careers.n3results.com
N3 is a global Inside Sales firm headquartered in Atlanta. A proven leader in the technology industry, N3 delivers revenue generating opportunities for market leaders like Microsoft, Cisco, SAP, and others.