What Can I Do With a Major In Accounting?
UGA Specific Information for Accounting
The J. M. Tull School of Accounting prepares students for careers as professional accountants, whether as tax experts, members of management, computer systems specialists, or as certified public accountants. The curriculum acknowledges that accountants also need to be competent business people. Thus, the academic program includes a significant exposure to courses in business, economics, and management and is designed to give the student an understanding of the theory of accounting as it is used in our society. An accounting education provides an excellent background for non-business professions, such as law, and is helpful for advancement to top-level management positions. Because of the various areas within accounting, BBA students are given a broad background of accounting classes to provide the basic tools to enter an accounting position. Should a student wish to specialize in a specific area, he or she would need to pursue the Master of Accountancy that allows specializations in Audit, Taxation, or Systems.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Accounting*
** Includes Self-Employed
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
POTENTIAL CAREER PATHS
- Auditor: Examine and analyze accounting records to determine financial status of establishment and prepare financial reports concerning operating procedures.
- Budget Analyst: Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports.
- Staff Accountant: Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain record of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Tax Consultant: Prepare tax returns for individuals or businesses.
- Maintain a competitive overall and major GPA, ideally a 3.4 GPA or higher. Your ability to excel in the classroom is an indication that you have an understanding of accounting principles and rules that must be applied when performing your job as an accountant.
- Participate in leadership development programs sponsored by larger public accounting firms. Many students are offered internships as a result of participating in the leadership development programs
- Attend “socials” hosted by employers. Many “socials” are invitation only events.
- Develop strong leadership, communication, and team work skills by getting involved in clubs and student organizations.
- Participate in an internship to gain real experience as an accountant.
- When eligible, join Beta Alpha Psi, an honor society for accounting majors.
- Accept constructive criticism on how to improve your skills and abilities.
- The accounting recruiting season occurs in the fall semester; therefore, conducting your job or internship search in the fall semester is crucial.
COMPANY & SALARY RESEARCH
- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords.
- Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well.
- To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- GoinGlobal - View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides (Login using your 810/811)
- Glassdoor - Glassdoor is a free jobs and career community that offers the world an inside look at jobs and companies. What sets us apart is our "employee generated content" – anonymous salaries, company reviews, interview questions, and more – all posted by employees, job seekers, and sometimes the companies themselves. Now with nearly 3 million salaries and reviews, you have all the information you might need to make your next career decision.
- Portfolium - Your work and projects are undeniable proof of your skills – Portfolium will help you learn and allow you to display the top skills graduate schools and employers want. Portfolium is where you’ll upload your work, projects, presentations and more. The UGA Career Center has pre-loaded your profile to include the top skills graduate schools and employers seek in their candidates. Log-in to your profile to see how you can build your skills
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Terry Connect - Terry's online mentorship platform. By creating an online profile during the active enrollment period (mid-late August) students will be matched with a mentor in their prospective industry for advice on job/internship searches, interview skills, and professional development. Students are also able to engage with alumni and each other on discussion boards and in special interest groups.
- Handshake (scroll down to the bottom of the page; login with your UGA MyID and password)
- Idealist (nonprofit jobs)
- USAJobs (federal jobs)
- American Accounting Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Georgia Society of CPAs
- Institute of Internal Auditors
- Association of Government Accountants
- National Association of Black Accountants
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Accenture||Consulting Assistant||BDO||Assurance Intern||Bennett Thrasher||Accountant, Tax Associate||Bone Dry Roofing Company||Accounting Clerk||Cadence Bank||Portfolio Analyst||Centerview Partners||Investment Banking Analyst||Crowe LLP||Not Specified||Deloitte||Audit and Assurance Staff, Audit Associate, Audit Intern, Consultant - Business Valuation, Intern, International Tax Intern, Tax Consultant I, Tax Intern||Dixon Hughes Goodman||Audit Associate, Audit Intern||Eaton||Financial Analyst||Ernst & Young||Audit Staff I, Risk Advisory Staff, Staff, Staff Accountant, Tax Associate, Tax Staff, Valuation and Business Modeling Staff||Frazier & Deeter, LLC||Intern, PRG Associate, Tax Intern||Grant Thornton||Associate||Greener Accounting & Tax Service LLC||President||Hancock Askew & Co.||Staff Accountant||Hicks Roofing||Accounting Clerk||JPMorgan Chase & Co.||Investment Banking Analyst||KPMG||Associate, Deal Advisory & Strategy, Audit, Audit Staff, Auditor, Experienced Audit Associate, Experienced Tax Associate, Intern||Mauldin & Jenkins, LLC||Intern||Moore Colson||Audit Accounting Associate||NCR Corporation||Global PS Engineer||Performance Trust Capital Partners||Investment Banking Analyst||Porter Keadle Moore||Staff Accountant||PwC||Associate, Assurance Associate, Assurance Intern, Audit Associate, Deals Associate, Intern, International Tax Services Intern, Risk Assurance Associate, Tax Accountant, Transaction Services FDD Intern||Red Ventures||Strategic Analyst||RSM US LLP||Assurance Associate, Intern, Tax Associate||Smith & Howard||Intern||State Farm||Agent Aspirant||SunTrust Bank||Analyst||Trinity Accounting Group||Intern||Wells Fargo||Financial Analyst||William Blair||Investment Banking Analyst||Windham Brannon||Tax Associate|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Accounting - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|American University||Law and Public Policy, JD/MPP||Emory University||Public Health, MPH||Georgia College & State University||Accounting, MAcc||Georgia State University||Accounting, MAcc; Professional Accounting, MPAcc||University of Colorado Denver||Accounting, MAcc||University of Connecticut||Accounting, MAcc||University of Georgia||Accounting, MAcc; Business Analytics, MSBA; Fashion Merchandising, BSFCS; Finance, BBA||University of Pennsylvania||Law, JD||University of South Carolina||Human Resources, MHR||University of Southern California||Accounting, MAcc|