What Can I Do With a Major In Applied Biotechnology?
UGA Specific Information for Applied Biotechnology
The applied biotechnology major provides students with the scientific background and laboratory experience necessary for employment in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries, or for advanced study in the applications of biotechnology and molecular biology for the use and improvement of plants, animals, and micro-organisms. Students should possess a strong interest in the sciences and an interest in chemistry, biotechnology, microbiology. This interdisciplinary major brings together areas of study such as animals, food science, forestry, entomology, and plants to educate students with the knowledge and skills necessary to use biotechnology for the improvement of plants, animals, and microorganisms.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Applied Biotechnology*
** Includes Self-Employed
- College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Clubs and Organizations
- Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS)
- Alpha Gamma Rho (Men pursuing careers in agriculture)
- Sigma Alpha (Women pursuing careers in agriculture)
- The Georgia BioBusiness Center
- UGA Mentor Program
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Why Choose a Career in Biotechnology?
Because you can help save lives, cure diseases, help feed the hungry, help create a substitute for oil energy use, and be a pioneer in green technology.
The people who work in biotechnology make discoveries at the forefront of science in the areas of:
- drug discovery
- food and fiber crop improvement
- environmental protection
- manufacturing (medical devices, biotech drugs and other bioscience products)
*Taken from Careers in Biotechnology by Gina Frierman-Hunt and Julie Solberg
If you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree, check out our website for assistance with this process.
If you are interested in Medical School, check out this site for details about the application process.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Georgia Career Information Center (accessible only on campus computers)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- My Next Move (search careers with key words)
- ScienceCareers Job Board
- BioSpace-Pharmaceutical Biotechnology Jobs
- Biotechnology]https://www.indeed.com/q-Biotechnology-Industry-Organization-jobs.html">Biotechnology[/url] Industry Organization Job Board
- Careers in Biotechnology and Molecular Biology
- National Human Genome Research Institute
- Bio Online Career Center
- Professional Science Masters
- Medzilla: Jobs in Healthcare, Pharma, and Science
- Biotech Companies in Georgia
- Info About Biotech Careers
- Agricultural Biotechnology Communicators
- The American Institute of Biological Sciences: Careers
- Biotechnology Industry Organization
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Arylessence, Inc.||Quality Control Technician||Emory Healthcare||Not Specified||Merieux NutriSciences||Microbiology Technician||U.S. Department of Agriculture||Biological Science Technician|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Applied Biotechnology - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|Duke University||Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, PhD||Michigan State University||Biotechnology, PhD||North Carolina State University||Microbial Biotechnology, MMB||Texas A&M University||Biomedical Sciences, Degree Not Specified||University of Georgia||Comparative Biomedical Science, MS|