What Can I Do With a Major In Art History?
UGA Specific Information for Art History
The objective of a concentration in Art History is the development of a basic knowledge of the history of art within the broader context of social, intellectual and cultural history. Some students want to pursue careers as curators or archivists at museums and galleries across the country. Others, knowing they have an eye for art and design, but lack the interest in pursuing a career as an artist, use Art History to hone their intellectual abilities in art for careers in media, advertising, publishing, fashion or design. Another path for historians is art therapy, working with people with disabilities. There is a trend toward providing additional training and certification for this specialty. Others move into careers in business, government and other non-profit organizations. With advanced degrees, professional employment opportunities include college and university teaching, museum and research positions, as well as careers in restoration and conservation.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Art History*
** Includes Self-Employed
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Get involved and build your resume early. Consider internships and volunteer opportunities to demonstrate work ethic and experience through-out your resume. Join student organizations that fit your interests and career goals. Also, consider informational interviews of professionals within your field. Visit the career center website or career guide for more information about informational interviewing including questions to ask.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- LinkedIn Career Insights Tool (search what uga alumni do, what they studied, what they are skilled at, where they live, where they work and what they are skilled at
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- Georgia Archives
- Museum Employment Resource
- Museum Jobs
- New York Foundation for the Arts
- World Wide Art Resources
- American Association of Museums
- American Society For Aesthetics
- Art History Network
- Association of Art Historians
- Society of American Archivists
- The College Art Association
- The Society of Architectural Historians
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Copytalk||Scribe - Mobile Transcription Services||Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art||Havner Curatorial Intern||Georgia Museum of Art||Assistant Registrar||High Museum of Art||Office Coordinator-Education Department||National Museum of Women in the Arts||Publications/Marketing Intern||Sperone Westwater||Gallery Assistant||Wake Forest University||Fellow|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Art History - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|University of Georgia||Art History, MA|