What Can I Do With a Major In Cellular Biology?
UGA Specific Information for Cellular Biology
Cell biologists are scientists who try to understand how cells function and interact at the molecular level and extrapolate this knowledge to explain the biology of whole organisms. The major is built on a curriculum of didactic and laboratory classes. These courses provide a solid grounding in general molecular biology as well as deeper insights into cell and developmental biology, infection and immunity, and the molecular mechanisms of disease. Rooted in basic science Cellular Biology classes often explore important new discoveries and concepts in medicine, biotechnology and veterinary sciences.
Approximately half of the Cellular Biology majors are members of a laboratory and conduct their own research. They work side by side with faculty, graduate students and research fellows from all over the world. Cellular Biology students make important discoveries and present their research at regional and national conferences and publish in international science journals. Undergraduate research is an exciting way to learn and understand science first hand and an important asset for application to graduate or medical school. A bachelor’s degree in Cellular Biology prepares students for entry into graduate programs in cell and molecular biology, genetics and biochemistry as well as other areas of modern biology. Cellular Biology majors are also well prepared to enter medical, veterinary, or pharmacy school. Other students may enter a professional career immediately after graduation working as laboratory technicians in the biotechnology industry or in Academia. In addition, other Cellular Biology graduates may pursue careers in teaching, forensic biology, technical writing, sales, or product development for the pharmaceutical industry.
Class of 2022 Career Outcomes for Cellular Biology*
** Includes Self-Employed
- UGA Department of Cellular Biology Homepage
- Student Organizations through Involvement Network (try Cellular Biology Graduate Student Association)
- Connect with your Career Consultant for help with job searching, resumes, interviewing skills, career options, applying to grad school, and much more
- Connect with your Academic Advisor
- Find research opportunities by reaching out via email to faculty in your department or outside of it based on your research interests; Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities (CURO) at UGA can help support you (off campus research opportunities: Research Experiences for Undergraduates)
- If you're interested in a healthcare career, connect with the UGA Pre-Health Advising Office to meet your pre-health advisor and for more information
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
POSSIBLE CAREER PATHS IN CELLULAR BIOLOGY
Agricultural scientist | Beer and wine maker | Bio-animator and filmmaker | Bioethicist | Bioinformatician | Biological and medical illustrator | Biomedical engineer | Biomedical researcher | Bioremediator | Biostatistician | Biotechnology researcher | Bioterrorism expert | Business administrator | Clinical researcher | Conservation biologist | Criminal investigator | Dietician | Entrepreneur | Environmental attorney | Environmental scientist | Epidemiologist | Food safety expert | Forensic scientist | Genetic counselor | Government health official | Grant administrator | Grant writer | High school teacher | Marine biologist | Museum curator | Museum exhibit preparer | Nurse | Occupational therapist | Optometrist | Patent agent | Patent attorney | Pharmaceutical researcher | Professor | Public health administrator | Public information officer | Public outreach expert | Regulatory affairs expert | Sales and marketing professional | Science policy expert | Science reporter | Science writer/editor | Toxicologist | Veterinarian | Zookeeper
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Firsthand (Explore a library of guides, articles, and other resources to help you explore careers, plan your job search, and learn about different work environments. Create a free account with your UGA email.)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- GoinGlobal - View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides (Login using your 810/811)
- UGA Mentor Program- Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Glassdoor - Glassdoor is a free jobs and career community that offers the world an inside look at jobs and companies. What sets us apart is our "employee generated content" – anonymous salaries, company reviews, interview questions, and more – all posted by employees, job seekers, and sometimes the companies themselves. Now with nearly 3 million salaries and reviews, you have all the information you might need to make your next career decision.
- Portfolium - Your work and projects are undeniable proof of your skills – Portfolium will help you learn and allow you to display the top skills graduate schools and employers want. Portfolium is where you’ll upload your work, projects, presentations and more. The UGA Career Center has pre-loaded your profile to include the top skills graduate schools and employers seek in their candidates. Log-in to your profile to see how you can build your skills!
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Career Cornerstone Center - Career planning resources for STEM fields
- "Learn How to Become" Job Search and Career Resource Center- this source provides advice for the job search, networking, interviews, salary negotiation, tips for starting the position, and more!
- Handshake - Login with your UGA myID and password to view thousands of jobs/internships from employers looking for UGA students
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- GoinGlobal - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Idealist - Nonprofit Jobs
- Indeed - General job search engine
- USAJobs - Federal Jobs
- Firsthand - Industry guides and resources
- The American Society for Cell Biology
- American Institute of Biological Science
- Society of Integrative & Comparative Biology
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- Candid Career (view professionals speaking about their careers under the "Resources" tab and select "Online Resources")
- My Next Move (search careers with key words)
- ExploreHealthCareers.org (great overview of healthcare-related career fields)
- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords.
- Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well.
- To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2022 Cellular Biology majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Business Technology Analyst
|Obstetrics and Gynecology of Atlanta
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2022 Cellular Biology majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Agnes Scott College
|Medical Sciences, Not Specified
|Georgia School of Phlebotomy
|Certified Clinical Medical Assistant, Certificate
|The University of Tennessee
|University of Georgia
|Integrative Physio and Pharm, JD/PhD
|University of Georgia
|Psychology, Not Specified
|University of North Carolina At Chapel Hill
|University of South Florida
|Medical Sciences, Not Specified
|University of South Florida