What Can I Do With a Major In Computer Science?
UGA Specific Information for Computer Science
Computer Science deals with the logical and mathematical foundations of computing and how to implement problem solutions as programs in a computer language. The computer science curriculum covers the design principles of key computing technologies such as hardware, operating systems, database systems, networks, graphics, and artificial intelligence.This major prepares its graduates to provide technical support for computer operations and to develop new computer hardware and software systems. With this major, students can look forward to working with major computer manufacturers, software development corporations, the communications industry, and consulting firms.
Class of 2022 Career Outcomes for Computer Science*
** Includes Self-Employed
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) • Minorities in Tech (MIT) • Girls.Code() • Women in Tech (WIT) • Biotechnology Club • Blockchain at UGA • Classic Hackers UGA Linux Users' Group • UGAHacks • CodeHub • Computer Science Career Initiative • Game Builders Club • Hats on Cybersecurity • Society for Cybersecurity • Robotics Club • Society for Business Intelligence
- Find additional clubs and organizations at the Involvement Network
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Potential Career Paths in Computer Science
- Application Analyst - As an application analyst you'll combine the maintenance of IT services with working face-to-face users who need your technical support. Application analysts administrate, monitor, and maintain software infrastructures and applications.
- Computer Programmer - Computer programmers write the code that allows all computer applications to run. They are responsible for the millions of lines of code it takes to run everything from our phones to satellites to EKG machines.
- Computer Support Specialist - Support specialists analyze, test, troubleshoot, and evaluate existing network systems, such as local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), and Internet systems or a segment of a network system. Perform network maintenance to ensure networks operate correctly with minimal interruption.
- Data Analyst - Data analysts are in charge of producing and tracking key performance indicators. Additionally, they gather, understand, and document business requirements using a variety of tools and techniques. Additionally, data analysts manipulate, analyze, and interpret complex datasets relating to the business they work for.
- Data Scientist- Utilize a combination of analytic, machine learning, data mining, coding, and statistical skills to explain the significance and understanding of large amounts of data.
- Database Administrator - Database administrators oversee an organization's information, and walk the fine line between optimizing data accessibility for the firm and defending digital property from hackers. Generally speaking, they protect existing databases by backing them up and developing airtight internal security measures.
- Hardware Engineer - Computer hardware engineers design, implement, and test the hardware and systems that optimize a computer's performance. Through their vision and work, they influence the direction of computer technology development.
- IT Architect - IT architects are highly skilled developers who envision, design, and provide the foundation for new and improved information management and communication networks. They lead teams and work with designers and developers to create organizational systems that make information retrieval and use simple.
- IT Consultant- Consultants work with a variety of clients and advise them on how to best use information technology to meet their business objectives and overcome obstacles. Consultants meet with clients, define project scopes, travel to customer sites, analyze IT requirements, and develop solutions to problems. Additionally, consultants help with the implementation of new systems in a business.
- Machine Learning Engineer (Artificial Intelligence)- is a method of data analysis that automates analytical model building. A branch of AI, it is based on the idea that systems can learn from code and data, identify patterns, and make decisions with minimal human intervention.
- Network Administrator - Network administrators act as the chief operating officers of computer networks. They play a pivotal role within companies and organizations, handling day-to-day operations while monitoring both local area networks and wide area networks and their related equipment.
- Security Analyst - Security analysts protect an organization's computer network from cyber threats and security breaches through defense planning and incident response.
- Software Developer/Engineer - Software developers create and maintain computer programs. They are the creative masterminds that give us systems to run devices and computer-related tasks. Software developers specialize in either applications or systems software.
- Systems Analyst - Systems analysts evaluate an organization's computer systems and processes to help clients operate their businesses more efficiently. Most analysts conduct in-depth system testing, research emerging technologies, and prepare cost analysis reports for clients.
- Systems Architect - Systems architects design and develop solutions to complex applications problems, system administration issues, or network concerns.
- Systems Manager - Computer and information systems managers oversee and coordinate an organization's IT operations. Depending on the organization and the individual's specific title, a system manager's duties may range from running a single IT department to overseeing all decision pertaining to a company's use of technology.
- Web Developer - Web developers design and code the websites we use every day. They are responsible for a site's visual presentation, interactive features, capacity, and backend structure.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When should I start looking for jobs? The tech industry has two main recruitment seasons- September/October and January/February. May graduates are encouraged to recuit during both seasons. To support your search, the UGA Career Center hosts the Engineering & Computer Science fairs in September and January every year. To see the specific dates, look on Handshake.
What skills should I emphasize with employers? Your technical skills are valuable, but don't forget about your soft skills! Remember that programming languages can be taught, but it's much harder to teach someone skills like communication, work ethic, and leadership. Look at page 26 in the Career Guide to see a list of skills employers and graduate schools value.
What should a computer science resume look like? A computer science resume typically follows a standard resume formatting. To see a good example, check out the UGA Career Center resume samples.
What are cover letters? Why do I need to write them? A cover letter is a business letter written to the employer that explains why you are qualified and a good fit for their open position. It accompanies your resume when you apply for a job. While your resume is an overview of your experiences, a cover letter directly address how those experiences have qualified you for the role. The cover letter “builds the bridge” between your resume and the position description so that there is no miscommunication regarding your qualifications. For example, “My experience in ____ and ___ have directly prepared me for this role.” Good cover letters are tailored to the job you are applying to. Even if a cover leter is not required for a role, submitting one demonstrates your initiative and excitement about the role. To see an example cover letter, check out page 36-37 in the Career Guide.
Are internships important? Internships are great tools to help you achieve your goals for full-time employment. Computer Science students typically complete an internship the summer before their final year, but you are welcome to search for an internship earlier if you would like. While they are excellent tools, they are not prerequisites for the workforce. You can demonstrate your skills and experiences through other mediums, like class and/or independent projects, part-time jobs, student leadership, and more.
How can I meet with my career consultant for a one-on-one appointment? You can schedule an appointment with your career consultant by calling 706-254-3375 or logging in to Handshake. On Handshake, click on "Career Center" and then "Appointments."
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Firsthand - Explore a library of guides, articles, and other resources to help you explore careers, plan your job search, and learn about different work environments. Create a free account with your UGA email.
- Candid Career - Watch recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers. Filter videos by career title, college major, industry, and more. (Login using your 810/811)
- Interstride - View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- UGA Mentor Program- Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Glassdoor - Glassdoor is a free jobs and career community that offers the world an inside look at jobs and companies. What sets us apart is our "employee generated content" – anonymous salaries, company reviews, interview questions, and more – all posted by employees, job seekers, and sometimes the companies themselves. Now with nearly 3 million salaries and reviews, you have all the information you might need to make your next career decision
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Career Cornerstone Center - Career planning resources for STEM field
- Handshake - Login with your UGA myID and password to view thousands of jobs/internships from employers looking for UGA students
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government
MAJOR/CAREER SPECIFIC, OPEN TO ALL:
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - Association for Computing Machinery • Association for Information Systems • Association for Women in Computing • Computing Research Association • Information Systems Security Association • Institute for the Certification of Computer Professionals • International Game Developers Association • Internet Society • Mass Technology Leadership Council • Software & Information Industry Association • Storage Networking Industry Association
LINKEDIN GROUPS - Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2022 Computer Science majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Accenture||Consulting Analyst||Accenture||Software Engineer||Ad Victoriam Solutions||Elevate Analyst||ADP||Application Developer||ADP||Associate Application Developer||ADP||Associate Application Developer||ADP||Associate Application Developer||ADP||Professional Software Programmer||ADP||Software Engineer||Aflac||IT Apprentice||AIP||Programmer||Amazon||Associate Solutions Architect||Amazon||Software Developer||Amazon||Software Development Engineer||Amazon||Software Engineer||Amazon||Software Engineer||AMD||Software Engineer II||American Bureau of Shipping||Rotational Computer Scientist||AmeriSave Mortgage Corporation||Software Engineer||Amerisure Insurance||Cyber Security Intern||AmZetta Technologies||Software Developer Intern||Aquent||QA Analyst||AT&T||Software Engineer||AT&T||Software Engineer||Avanade||Back End Developer/Analyst||Axient||Flight Software and Electronics Engineer||BlackRock||Software Engineer||Buyers Edge Platform||Software Developer||Capgemini||IT Consultant/Programmer & Developer||Capital One||Associate Software Engineer||Capital One||Coda Associate||Cigna||Scrum Master||Codesmith||Quality Assurance Specialist||Cognizant||Frontend Developer||Cognizant||iOS Developer||Cognizant||IoT Specialist||Cox Automotive Inc.||Junior Software Developer||Credera||Technology Consultant||Credera||Technology Solutions Practice Consultant||Cvent||Software Engineer I||Davey Resource Group, Inc.||Software Developer||Delta Air Lines||Associate Software Developer||Delta Air Lines||Associate Software Developer||Department of Defense||Software Engineer||Department of Defense||Computer Scientist||DigitalGlue||Junior Software Engineer||DigitalGlue||Software Developer||Directive Games||Houdini Engineer/Programmer||DoorDash||Software Engineer||Elavon||Software Engineer||Enterprise Holdings||Network Administrator Specialist||Epic Systems||Software Developer||EY||Cybersecurity Technology Consultant||EY||Technology Consultant||EY||Technology Consultant||FAST Enterprises, LLC||Implementation Consultant||FedEx Services||Full Stack Developer||FIS||Cloud Engineer||Fiserv||Analyst||General Motors||Software Developer||General Motors||Software Developer||General Motors||Software Developer||General Motors||Software Developer||Genesis Global||Software Developer||Geonamic Systems||Software Engineer||Software Engineer||Software Engineer||Software Engineer||Software Engineer||Software Engineer||Software Engineering Intern||Gulfstream Aerospace||Software Engineer I||Hedge||Software Engineer||HOA Brands||Junior Developer||Honeywell||Software Engineer||Honeywell||Software Engineer||IBM||Technical Curriculum Architect||IBM||Software Developer||IBM||Software Developer||Infor||Associate Software Engineer||Infosys Mccamish||Systems Engineer||Insight Global||Software Developer||Interapt||Junior Software Developer||KNAPP North America||Software Systems Engineer||KPMG||Advisory Associate - Cyber Security||KPMG||Data Engineer||Landis & Gyr, Inc.||Technical implementation engineer||LexisNexis Risk Solutions||Software Engineer 3||LexisNexis Risk Solutions||Software Engineer I||LexisNexis Risk Solutions||Software Engineer I||Liberty Mutual Insurance||Software Developer||Lockheed Martin||Systems Engineer||Lynk||Spacecraft Communications Engineer||Manhattan Associates||Software Engineer||Manhattan Associates||Software Engineer||Manhattan Associates||Software Engineer||Manhattan Associates||Software Engineer||Manhattan Associates||Cloud Analyst||Manhattan Associates||Cloud Consultant||Manhattan Associates||Software Implementation Consultant||Manhattan Associates||Application Engineer||Manhattan Associates||R&D Software Engineer||Manhattan Associates||Software Analyst||Manhattan Associates||Software Analyst||Manhattan Associates||Software Analyst||Manhattan Associates||Software Analyst||Manhattan Associates||Software Developer||Mastercard||Software Development Engineer I||MediaLab||Software Developer||Meta||Software Engineer||Metropolis - A Marketplace for Healthcare Jobs||Software Engineer||Microsoft||Program Manager||Microsoft||Software Engineer||Microsoft||Software Engineer||Morgan Stanley||Operational Risk Analyst||Morgan Stanley||Technology Analyst||Motorola Solutions||Systems Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Site Reliability Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Developer||Northrop Grumman Corporation||Software Developer||OneTrust||UI Developer||Oracle||Software Engineer||Pariveda Solutions||Technical Consultant||Peloton Interactive||Junior Developer||Penguin Random House||Full Stack Developer||Perficient||Associate Technical Consultant||Printpack||Application Developer||Protiviti||Technology Consultant||Public Assistant||Software Engineer||Publix||Pharmacy Technician||Rev||Software Engineer||Rize||QA Engineer||Savannah River Nuclear Solutions, LLC||Associate Software Engineer||ServiceNow||Associate Software Engineer||Siemens||Software Engineer||Sikich LLP||Software Developer||Snapchat||Software Engineer||Sogeti||Associate Software Consultant||Sogeti||Associate Consultant||Sogeti||Associate Consultant||Speire||Programmer||State Farm||Software Engineer||Tata Consultancy Services||Software Engineer||Tata Consultancy Services||Software Developer||Textron||Information Technology Leadership Development Program User Services Supporter||The Home Depot||Software Engineer||The Vanguard Group||Technology Leadership Program Participant||Transportation Insight||Software Developer||Truist||Design Team Analyst||Turntide Technologies||QA Automation Engineer||University of Georgia||IT Systems Administrator Associate||US Air Force||Software Engineer||US Air Force||Computer Scientist||US Air Force||Computer Scientist||US Air Force||Computer Scientist||US Air Force||Computer Scientist||Vertisys||IT Project Manager||VMware||Solutions Engineer||Warner Robins Airforce Base||Software Engineering Intern|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2022 Computer Science majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Georgia College & State University||Secondary Teacher Education, Not Specified||Georgia Institute of Technology||Computer Science, MS||New York University||Computer Science, MS||University of Georgia||Artificial Intelligence, MS||University of Georgia||Artificial Intelligence, MS||University of Georgia||Artificial Intelligence, MS||University of Georgia||Artificial Intelligence, MS||University of Georgia||Artificial Intelligence, MS||University of Georgia||Artificial Intelligence, MS||University of Georgia||Computer Science, MS||University of Georgia||Computer Science, MS||University of Georgia||Computer Science, MS||University of Georgia||Computer Science, MS||University of Georgia||Computer Science, MS|