What Can I Do With a Major In Computer Science?
UGA Specific Information for Computer Science<! -- begin major description -->
Computer Science deals with the logical and mathematical foundations of computing and how to implement problem solutions as programs in a computer language. The computer science curriculum covers the design principles of key computing technologies such as hardware, operating systems, database systems, networks, graphics, and artificial intelligence.This major prepares its graduates to provide technical support for computer operations and to develop new computer hardware and software systems. With this major, students can look forward to working with major computer manufacturers, software development corporations, the communications industry, and consulting firms.<! -- end major description -->
Class of 2021 Career Outcomes for Computer Science*
** Includes Self-Employed
<! -- begin campus resources -->
- Connect with Kristina Rust, your Career Consultant - click here to find information on scheduling an appointment and satellite drop-in hours
- Computer Science Academic Advisors - Annemarie Hitchcock and Christina Rowland
- School of Computing
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) • Minorities in Tech (MIT) • Girls.Code() • Women in Tech (WIT) • Society for Management Information Systems (SMIS) • Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineerings (IEEE) • Classic Hackers UGA Linux Users' Group • UGAHacks • Deep Learning @ UGA (DeLUG)
- Find additional clubs and organizations at the Involvement Network
- Free technical training - access LinkedIn Learning through myUGA
- Github - online portfolio platform. Cannot post code from courses on a public site - must create a private repository
- Hackerrank.com, Pramp.com, & Interviewing.io - free coding interview practice
<! -- begin additional UGA Career Center recommendations -->
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Potential Career Paths in Computer Science
- Application Analyst - As an application analyst you'll combine the maintenance of IT services with working face-to-face users who need your technical support. Application analysts administrate, monitor, and maintain software infrastructures and applications.
- Computer Programmer - Computer programmers write the code that allows all computer applications to run. They are responsible for the millions of lines of code it takes to run everything from our phones to satellites to EKG machines.
- Computer Support Specialist - Support specialists analyze, test, troubleshoot, and evaluate existing network systems, such as local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), and Internet systems or a segment of a network system. Perform network maintenance to ensure networks operate correctly with minimal interruption.
- Data Scientist- Utilize a combination of analytic, machine learning, data mining, coding, and statistical skills to explain the significance and understanding of large amounts of data.
- Database Administrator - Database administrators oversee an organization's information, and walk the fine line between optimizing data accessibility for the firm and defending digital property from hackers. Generally speaking, they protect existing databases by backing them up and developing airtight internal security measures.
- Hardware Engineer - Computer hardware engineers design, implement, and test the hardware and systems that optimize a computer's performance. Through their vision and work, they influence the direction of computer technology development.
- IT Architect - IT architects are highly skilled developers who envision, design, and provide the foundation for new and improved information management and communication networks. They lead teams and work with designers and developers to create organizational systems that make information retrieval and use simple.
- IT Consultant- Consultants work with a variety of clients and advise them on how to best use information technology to meet their business objectives and overcome obstacles. Consultants meet with clients, define project scopes, travel to customer sites, analyze IT requirements, and develop solutions to problems. Additionally, consultants help with the implementation of new systems in a business.
- Machine Learning Engineer (Artificial Intelligence)- is a method of data analysis that automates analytical model building. A branch of AI, it is based on the idea that systems can learn from code and data, identify patterns, and make decisions with minimal human intervention.
- Network Administrator - Network administrators act as the chief operating officers of computer networks. They play a pivotal role within companies and organizations, handling day-to-day operations while monitoring both local area networks and wide area networks and their related equipment.
- Security Analyst - Security analysts protect an organization's computer network from cyber threats and security breaches through defense planning and incident response.
- Software Developer - Software developers create and maintain computer programs. They are the creative masterminds that give us systems to run devices and computer-related tasks. Software developers specialize in either applications or systems software.
- Systems Analyst - Systems analysts evaluate an organization's computer systems and processes to help clients operate their businesses more efficiently. Most analysts conduct in-depth system testing, research emerging technologies, and prepare cost analysis reports for clients.
- Systems Architect - Systems architects design and develop solutions to complex applications problems, system administration issues, or network concerns.
- Systems Manager - Computer and information systems managers oversee and coordinate an organization's IT operations. Depending on the organization and the individual's specific title, a system manager's duties may range from running a single IT department to overseeing all decision pertaining to a company's use of technology.
- Web Developer - Web developers design and code the websites we use every day. They are responsible for a site's visual presentation, interactive features, capacity, and backend structure.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS - Answered by your Career Consultant, Kristina Rust
When should I start looking for jobs? The tech industry has two main recruitment seasons- September/October and January/February. May graduates are encouraged to recuit during both seasons. To support your search, the UGA Career Center hosts the Engineering & Computer Science fairs in September and January every year. To see the specific dates, look on Handshake.
What skills should I emphasize with employers? Your technical skills are valuable, but don't forget about your soft skills! Remember that programming languages can be taught, but it's much harder to teach someone skills like communication, work ethic, and leadership. Look at page 26 in the Career Guide to see a list of skills employers and graduate schools value.
What should a computer science resume look like? A computer science resume typically follows a standard resume formatting. To see a good example, check out the UGA Career Center resume samples.
What are cover letters? Why do I need to write them? A cover letter is a business letter written to the employer that explains why you are qualified and a good fit for their open position. It accompanies your resume when you apply for a job. While your resume is an overview of your experiences, a cover letter directly address how those experiences have qualified you for the role. The cover letter “builds the bridge” between your resume and the position description so that there is no miscommunication regarding your qualifications. For example, “My experience in ____ and ___ have directly prepared me for this role.” Good cover letters are tailored to the job you are applying to. Even if a cover leter is not required for a role, submitting one demonstrates your initiative and excitement about the role. To see an example cover letter, check out page 36-37 in the Career Guide.
Are internships important? Internships are great tools to help you achieve your goals for full-time employment. Computer Science students typically complete an internship the summer before their final year, but you are welcome to search for an internship earlier if you would like. While they are excellent tools, they are not prerequisites for the workforce. You can demonstrate your skills and experiences through other mediums, like class and/or independent projects, part-time jobs, student leadership, and more.
How can I meet with my career consultant for a one-on-one appointment? You can schedule an appointment with your career consultant by calling 706-254-3375 or logging in to Handshake. On Handshake, click on "Career Center" and then "Appointments."
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Firsthand - Explore a library of guides, articles, and other resources to help you explore careers, plan your job search, and learn about different work environments. Create a free account with your UGA email.
- Candid Career - Watch recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers. Filter videos by career title, college major, industry, and more. (Login using your 810/811)
- Interstride - View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- UGA Mentor Program- Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Glassdoor - Glassdoor is a free jobs and career community that offers the world an inside look at jobs and companies. What sets us apart is our "employee generated content" – anonymous salaries, company reviews, interview questions, and more – all posted by employees, job seekers, and sometimes the companies themselves. Now with nearly 3 million salaries and reviews, you have all the information you might need to make your next career decision
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Career Cornerstone Center - Career planning resources for STEM field
- Handshake - Login with your UGA myID and password to view thousands of jobs/internships from employers looking for UGA students
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government
MAJOR/CAREER SPECIFIC, OPEN TO ALL:
- General - Computer Jobs • Dice • IT Job Pro • Tech Careers • IEEE • Association for Computing Machinery
- Atlanta-based Startup - Hypepotamus • Atlanta Tech Village • Atlanta Startup Jobs • Angel List
- Gaming - Game Development • GameRecruiter
- Faculty/Research - Computing Research Association • Association for Computing Machinery
- Data - iCrunchData
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - Association for Computing Machinery • Association for Information Systems • Association for Women in Computing • Computing Research Association • Information Systems Security Association • Institute for the Certification of Computer Professionals • International Game Developers Association • Internet Society • Mass Technology Leadership Council • Software & Information Industry Association • Storage Networking Industry Association
NEWS - AC Online • Computer Science Online • Computerworld • E-Commerce Times • Entertainment Software Association • Government Computer News • InformationWeek • Internet News • IT World • PC Magazine
COMPANY & SALARY RESEARCH - Career Bliss • GlassDoor • Salary.com
LINKEDIN GROUPS - Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2021 Computer Science majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2021 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|4M Research||Software Engineer & Analyst||678 Korean BBQ||Waiter/Server||Accenture||Applications Development Analyst||ADP||Associate Application Developer||ADP||Associate Application Developer||ADVA Optical Networking||Software Engineer||AGCO Corporation||IT Analyst||Alvaria, Inc.||Associate Software Engineer||Amazon||Software Development Engineer||Amazon||Software Development Engineer||Amazon||Software Development Engineer||Amazon||Software Development Engineer 1||American Express||Software Engineer||Applied Software||Junior Developer||Applied Software||Junior Developer||Applied Software||Junior Developer||Applied Software||Junior Developer||AT&T, Inc.||Software Engineer||AT&T, Inc.||Technology Development Program||AT&T, Inc.||Technology Development Program||AT&T, Inc.||Technology Development Program||AT&T, Inc.||TDP Software Developer||AT&T, Inc.||Technology Development Program||AT&T, Inc.||Software Engineer||Athem, Inc.||Service Designer||Avamad||Software Developer||Bain & Company||Associate Consultant||BlackRock||Analyst||BNY Mellon||Not Specified||Capgemini||Consultant||Capgemini||Programmer/Developer||Capgemini||Technical Consultant||Capgemini||Junior Cloud Engineer||Capital One||Security Engineer||CEDAR CX Technologies||JAVA Developer||CGI||Consultant||Chick-fil-A||Software Engineer II||CirrusLabs||Intern||Cisco||Software Engineer||Cox Communications||Network Engineer||Daugherty Business Solutions||Software Engineer Consultant||Daugherty Business Solutions||Associate Consultant||Deloitte||Application and Program Analyst||Deloitte||Business Technology Analyst||Department of Defense||Computer Scientist||Department of Defense||Software Engineer||Epic Systems Corporation||Software Developer||Equifax||Software Developer||EY||Technology Consultant||EY||Cybersecurity Consultant||Fast Enterprises, LLC||Implementation Consultant||Fast Enterprises, LLC||Implementation Consultant||Fast Enterprises, LLC||Implementation Consultant||Fast Enterprises, LLC||Implementation Consultant||Fast Enterprises, LLC||Implementation Consultant||Fast Enterprises, LLC||Implementation Consultant||FIS Global||Software Engineer||Fiserv, Inc.||Application Developer||Freddie Mac||Technical Analyst||General Electric||Product Manager||General Motors||Software Engineer||General Motors||Entry Level Software Developer||General Motors||Information Security Specialist||General Motors||Software Developer||General Motors||Software Test Engineer||General Motors||Software Developer||General Motors||Software Engineer||General Motors||Software Developer||Georgia Tech Research Institute||Research Scientist I||Cloud Technical Residency||Software Engineer||Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind||Puppy Raiser||IBM||Software Developer||Infor||Associate Software Engineer||Infosys||Associate Software Engineer||Integrated Analytic Solutions||Junior Systems Integrator||Itineris||Technical Analyst||KPMG||Associate Advisor - AI Analytics and Engineering||Lockheed Martin Corporation||Skunk Works Operations Analyst Associate||Macy's||Software Engineer||Manhattan Associates||Software Analyst||Manhattan Associates||Software Analyst||Manhattan Associates||Support Analyst||Manhattan Associates||Software Engineer||Manhattan Associates||Cloud Systems Engineering||Manhattan Associates||Software Engineer||Manhattan Associates||Software Engineer||Manhattan Associates||Software Engineer||Manhattan Associates||Software Engineer||Manhattan Associates||Software Analyst||Microsoft||Software Engineer||Microsoft||Software Engineer||Microsoft||Software Engineer||Microsoft||Software Engineer||Microsoft||Software Engineer||Mueller Water Products||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer I||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Developer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Application Security Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer I||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||Nike||Software Engineer||Northcraft Analytics||Data Analyst Intern||NSI-MI||Software Engineer||Optomi Professional Services||Associate Recruiter||Oracle||Solutions Engineer||Perficient||Associate Technical Consultant||PNC Bank||Associate Software Developer||PNC Bank||Associate Software Developer||PNC Bank||Associate Software Developer||PredaSAR Corporation||UI/UX Engineer||Proficient||Consultant||Protiviti||Technology Consultant||Raytheon Technologies||Software Engineer||REEF Technology||Application Support Specialist||Robins Air Force Base||Computer Scientist||Robins Air Force Base||Cyber Security Specialist||Robins Air Force Base||Computer Scientist||Robins Air Force Base||Software Engineer||Robins Air Force Base||Computer Scientist||Savannah River Nuclear Solutions||Entry Level Computer Engineer-Programmer||Savannah River Site||Process Control Engineer||SAWTST, LLC||Cyber Security Analyst||Seagate Technology||Software Engineer Intern||Talent Path||Full Stack Engineer||Tata Consultancy Services||Software Engineer||Temple University||Software Engineer||The Circle Group||IT Support||The Home Depot||Systems Engineer||The Home Depot||Software Engineer||United States Air Force||Computer Scientist||United States Department of Defense||Computer Scientist||United States Department of Defense||Computer Scientist||University of Georgia||Advisor|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2021 Computer Science majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Georgia Institute of Technology||Cybersecurity, MS||Georgia Institute of Technology||Cybersecurity, MS||Georgia Institute of Technology||Quantitative and Computational Finance, MS||Georgia Institute of Technology||Medicine, MD||Stanford University||Earth Sciences, PhD||University of Georgia||Computer Science, MS||University of Georgia||Artificial Intelligence, MS||University of Georgia||Computer Science, MS||University of Georgia||Business Administration, MBA||University of Georgia||Artificial Intelligence, MS||University of Georgia||Artificial Intelligence, MS||University of Georgia||Artificial Intelligence, MS||University of Georgia||Artificial Intelligence, MS||University of Georgia||Computer Science, MS||University of Washington||Computational Linguistics, MS|