What Can I Do With a Major In Consumer Economics?
UGA Specific Information for Consumer Economics
The Consumer Economics major at The University of Georgia prepares students with the knowledge and skills necessary to make wise decisions as consumers. Through courses in consumer economics, students learn about the roles of consumers, the roles of producers, the government in our economic system, and the decision-making process. Consumer Economics addresses questions that directly affect family economic well-being. Students study available options and how to get the most for their money in specific areas of spending, such as food, transportation, housing, and insurance.
Students learn the economic theory of a household's consumption, contributing factors and influences of an individual consumer's purchasing habits, and personal finance and how effective personal budgeting can help improve a household's economic standing. Students will discover the rights and privileges provided consumers by federal and state law, in addition to predatory practices consumers may encounter in the markets as well as how to identify and explain these practices to other individuals. Students working toward a Consumer Economics degree may also pursue the Applied Consumer Analytics, Consumer Advocacy & Policy, or Consumer & Community Needs emphasis.
A Consumer Economics major prepares students for work in a variety of fields, including government agencies, consumer organizations and corporations for careers in consumer protection; public policy; financial services; consumer research; and communication. Students who pursue the Applied Consumer Analytics emphasis will gain the analytical skills needed to transform data into practical information for use in organizational and policy decisions. Consumer and policy analysts are in demand by private, public, and non-profit organizations.
Class of 2021 Career Outcomes for Consumer Economics*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Connect with Jessica McLeod-Waddell, your Career Consultant - click here to find information on how to schedule an appointment
- Daily Drop-In Hours: (staffed by Career Center graduate assistants and student interns)
- In-Person: Mondays – Thursdays, 11 am – 2 pm in Clark Howell Hall (2nd Floor)
- Virtual: Fridays, 11 am – 2 pm, career.uga.edu/appointments
- Consumer Economics Academic Advisor - Christie Sanders
- UGA FHCE Department - Consumer Economics
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Student Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Involvement Network
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Firsthand - Company rankings/profiles, industry career guides, and advice articles
- Candid Career - Recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers
- UGA Mentor Program- Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Interstride- View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences • American Council on Consumer Interests • Society of Consumer Affairs Professionals in Business • Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management
LINKEDIN- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2021 Consumer Economics majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2021 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Archbold Medical Hospital||Nurse and Professional Recruiter||Arrive Logistics||Carrier Sales Representative||Arrow Electronics||Field Sales Representative||Bank OZK||Client Service Specialist||Buckeye International||Field Sales Representative||Capital City Home Loans, LLC||Loan Specialist||Capstone Financial, LLC||Financial Services Representative||Credential||Financial Advisor||Ctit||HR Analyst||Elwood & Goetz Wealth Advisory||Associate Financial Planner||Expeditors International of Washington||Custom Broker's Agent||EY||Business Analyst||Fisher Investments||Client Service Associate||GateKeyper||Account Executive||Georgia Military College||Enrollment Officer||Homrich Berg||Associate Financial Planner||Integrity Marketing Group LLC||Contract Specialist||Lockton Companies||Benefits Analyst||Mutty Paws||General Manager||N3||Business Development Representative||OneTrust||Consultant||Planet Fitness||Front Desk Attendant||RBC Global Asset Management||RFP Writer/Data Analyst||Restaurant Equipment Market||Purchasing Assistant||Sappelo Hammock Golf Club||Assistant Golf Professional||Shane Smith Law||Paralegal||Southern Country Charters||Captain||Spark Foundry||Associate Strategy & Media Planning||Starship||Personal Assistant||Starship||Personal Assistant||State Farm||Sales Manager|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2021 Consumer Economics majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Athens Technical College||Not Specified||Southern Methodist University||Liberal Studies, MLS||University of Georgia||Consumer Science, MS||University of Georgia||Applied Consumer Analytics, MS||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MS||University of Georgia||Applied Consumer Analytics, MS||University of Pittsburgh||Business/Health Care Administration, MBA/MHA|