What Can I Do With a Major In Consumer Economics?
UGA Specific Information for Consumer Economics
The Consumer Economics major at The University of Georgia prepares students with the knowledge and skills necessary to make wise decisions as consumers. Through courses in consumer economics, students learn about the roles of consumers, the roles of producers, the government in our economic system, and the decision-making process. Consumer Economics addresses questions that directly affect family economic well-being. Students study available options and how to get the most for their money in specific areas of spending, such as food, transportation, housing, and insurance.
Students learn the economic theory of a household's consumption, contributing factors and influences of an individual consumer's purchasing habits, and personal finance and how effective personal budgeting can help improve a household's economic standing. Students will discover the rights and privileges provided consumers by federal and state law, in addition to predatory practices consumers may encounter in the markets as well as how to identify and explain these practices to other individuals. Students working toward a Consumer Economics degree may also pursue the Applied Consumer Analytics, Consumer Advocacy & Policy, or Consumer & Community Needs emphasis.
A Consumer Economics major prepares students for work in a variety of fields, including government agencies, consumer organizations and corporations for careers in consumer protection; public policy; financial services; consumer research; and communication. Students who pursue the Applied Consumer Analytics emphasis will gain the analytical skills needed to transform data into practical information for use in organizational and policy decisions. Consumer and policy analysts are in demand by private, public, and non-profit organizations.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Consumer Economics*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Connect with Marla Ebert, your Career Consultant - click her to find information on how to schedule an appointment and drop-in hours
- Consumer Economics Academic Advisor - Christie Sanders
- UGA FHCE Department - Consumer Economics
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Student Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Involvement Network
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- UGA Mentor Program- Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Interstride- View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences • American Council on Consumer Interests • Society of Consumer Affairs Professionals in Business • Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management
LINKEDIN- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Accu-Tech Corporation||Account Executive||Aerotek||Recruiter||AGCO Finance||Account Executive||Anheuser-Busch||Commercial Trainee Program||Banh Mi Cafe||Manager||BB&T||Analyst||Canon Financial Services||Operations Manager||Capstone Financial||Financial Services Representative||CBRE||Client Services Assistant||Clearview Advisory||Investment Analyst||Collabera||Associate Account Manager||Enterprise Holdings||Managing Attorney||Georgia House of Representatives||Legislative Aide||Governors Towne Club Development Inc.||Financial Budget Analyst||InterContinental Hotels Group||C&T Coordinator||Kelly Mitchell||IT Recruiter||Landmark Properties||Community Ambassador||Matrix Residential - a Pollack Shores Company||Marketing Representative||MetLife||Managment Trainee||Mid America Apartments||Leasing Consultant||Northside Hospital Atlanta||Secretary||Peachtree Company||Sales Representative||QGenda||Business Development Representative||RaceTrac||Special Projects Analyst||State Farm||Insurance Agent||Teach For America||Teach For America Corps Member||The Georgia Club||Customer Service Representative||Trademark Capital Management||Financial Associate||UniFirst Corporation||Outside Sales Representative||United Bank||Wealth/Trust Advisor||United Way||Executive Director||University of Georgia||Assistant at the Office of Special Events, Instructional Technology Systems Professional, Network Administrator, Program Assistant||Walgreens||Assistant Manager||WorldVia Travel Group||Marketing Intern|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Consumer Economics - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|University of Georgia||Financial Planning, MSFCS; Law, JD|