What Can I Do With a Major In Consumer Journalism ?
UGA Specific Information for Consumer Journalism<! -- begin major description -->
The Consumer Journalism major at the University of Georgia is a high-demand major that provides the opportunity to combine interests in family and consumer sciences with advertising, public relations, journalism, entertainment & media studies, and new media. Students have flexibility to take courses in both the College of Family and Consumer Sciences and the Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication.
Graduates pursue a variety of careers in media, publishing, and non-profit agencies.<! -- end major description -->
Class of 2021 Career Outcomes for Consumer Journalism *
** Includes Self-Employed
<! -- begin campus resources -->
Connect with Jessica McLeod-Waddell, your Career Consultant - click here to find information on how to schedule an appointment
Daily Drop-In Hours: (staffed by Career Center graduate assistants and student interns)
In-Person: Mondays – Thursdays, 11 am – 2 pm in Clark Howell Hall (2nd Floor)
Virtual: Fridays, 11 am – 2 pm, career.uga.edu/appointments
- UGA FHCE Department - Consumer Journalism
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Student Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Involvement Network
<! -- begin additional UGA Career Center recommendations -->
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
Firsthand - Explore a library of guides, articles, and other resources to help you explore careers, plan your job search, and learn about different work environments. Create a free account with your UGA email.
Candid Career - Watch recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers. Filter videos by career title, college major, industry, and more.
- UGA Mentor Program- Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Interstride- View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - Society of Professional Journalists • American Advertising Federation • American Marketing Association • Public Relations Society of America • Entertainment Professional Associations • The Association of Magazine Media
COMPANY & SALARY RESEARCH - Career Bliss • GlassDoor • Salary.com
LINKEDIN - Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2021 Consumer Journalism majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2021 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|3Ci||Talent Specialist||AZIONE||Account Coordinator||Black N Animated||Administrative Assistant||Cortland||Leasing Consultant||Edible Arrangments||Partnerships & Activation Associate||Full Out Sports||Graphic Designer||Gwinnett, Newton, and Rockdale County Health Departments||Communications Intern||Insight Global||Commercial Proposal Coordinator||Inspired Closets and Budget Blinds||Administrative Assistant||Lowe's Companies, Inc.||Merchandise Service Team Member||Magrino Public Relation||Associate Account Coordinator||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||PrizePicks||Social Media Manager||Rep-Lite||Talent Acquisition Specialist||Summit Gymnastics||Program Director|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2021 Consumer Journalism majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Georgia Career Institution||Aesthetician Certification, Certificate||University of Georgia||Public Administration, MPA|