What Can I Do With a Major In Economics?
UGA Specific Information for Economics
Economics includes the study of the ways in which people make a living, the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services, and the analysis of inflation, unemployment, and efficient use of natural resources. Macro and microeconomics are the two vantage points from which the economy is observed. Macroeconomics looks at the total output of a nation and the way the nation allocates its limited resources of land, labor, and capital in an attempt to maximize production levels and promote trade and growth. Microeconomics looks into similar issues, but on the level of the individual people and firms within the economy. It tends to be more scientific in its approach, and studies the parts that make up the whole economy. For students interested in business careers, economics is an essential foundation for business education. Similarly, when it is viewed in the broader sense of a liberal arts education, economics is a core discipline and an integral part of a well-rounded course of study. Economics majors develop both analytical and communication skills while focusing on the application of economics to the real world. In addition to foundational courses in economic theory, the Economics Department offers classes that reflect broader interests, including environmental economics, sports economics, game theory, economic analysis of law, urban economics, and the economics of education.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Economics*
** Includes Self-Employed
- AIESEC - international volunteer & internship opportunities
- Apollo Society - 1st & 2nd year students interested in investment & financial markets
- Atlas Business Society - 1st & 2nd year students of all majors
- Corsair Society - investment banking & finance
- Delta Sigma Pi - co-ed professional business fraternity
- Economics Department
- Economics Society
- Enactus - entrepreneurial & community service
- Finance Department
- Finance Society - learn about the various areas of finance from employer speakers
- Multicultural Business Student Association
- Omicron Delta Epsilon - international honor society
- Student Financial Planning Association
- Student Managed Investment Fund (SMIF) - 3rd & 4th year students interested in investments & financial markets
- Terry Student Consulting
- Women in Business
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
POTENTIAL CAREER PATHS
- Financial Planning - Advise clients on financial plans using knowledge of tax and investment strategies, securities, insurance, pension plans, and real estate. Duties include assessing clients' assets, liabilities, cash flow, insurance coverage, tax status, and financial objectives.
- Insurance Underwriter - Review individual applications for insurance to evaluate degree of risk involved and determine acceptance of applications.
- Management Analyst - Conduct organizational studies and evaluations, design systems and procedures, conduct work simplification and measurement studies, and prepare operations and procedures manuals to assist management in operating more efficiently and effectively. Includes program analysts and management consultants.
- Marketing & Survey Research - Research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas, or gather information to determine potential sales of a product or service, or create a marketing campaign. May gather information on competitors, prices, sales, and methods of marketing and distribution.
- Economist - Conduct research, prepare reports, or formulate plans to address economic problems related to the production and distribution of goods and services or monetary and fiscal policy. May collect and process economic and statistical data using sampling techniques and econometric methods.
- Environmental Economist - Conduct economic analysis related to environmental protection and use of the natural environment, such as water, air, land, and renewable energy resources. Evaluate and quantify benefits, costs, incentives, and impacts of alternative options using economic principles and statistical techniques.
- Real Estate & Urban Planning - Develop comprehensive plans and programs for use of land and physical facilities of jurisdictions, such as towns, cities, counties, and metropolitan areas.
- Legislative Assistant - Develop, introduce or enact laws and statutes at the local, tribal, State, or Federal level. Includes only workers in elected positions.
- Actuary - Analyze statistical data, such as mortality, accident, sickness, disability, and retirement rates and construct probability tables to forecast risk and liability for payment of future benefits. May ascertain insurance rates required and cash reserves necessary to ensure payment of future benefits.
- Auditor - Examine and analyze accounting records to determine financial status of establishment and prepare financial reports concerning operating procedures.
- Budget Analyst - Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports.
- Financial Analyst - Conduct quantitative analyses of information affecting investment programs of public or private institutions.
- Underwriter - anage communications or negotiations between corporate issuers of securities and clients regarding private equity investments. Underwrite the issuance of securities to provide capital for client growth. Negotiate and structure the terms of mergers or acquisitions.
- Graduate School
- And more!
Economics is a great major because it provides a solid business foundation that can lead to a wide range of career options; however, this openness can also be troublesome when trying to narrow your focus to a few specific industries to actively pursue. As a result, it is critical for economics majors to begin exploring their skills, values, & interests as well as various career opportunities prior to graduating. Below is a list of common careers that economics majors often pursue as well as tips for success & exploration resources to help get you started.
- Read all the time (Financial Times, Wall Street Journal, NY Times, etc.)
- Build & practice your writing & verbal communication skills
- Improve your technical skills & knowledge through trainings on SkillSoft, Lynda.com, Career Insider (Vault), Business Insider, Wall Street Oasis, Leaders Global Network,etc.
- Become Lean Six Sigma certified, if relevant
- Begin exploring careers early. This is something that must be done outside of the classroom
- Create your resume during your first semester & update it every semester afterwards
- Internships are crucial for testing out various industries & also building relevant experience on your resume
- Consider earning a certificate to supplement your major studies
- Attend employer networking events through Terry College & the Career Center
- Explore study abroad options during your 1st or 2nd year
RESOURCES - INDUSTRY RESEARCH & INTERVIEW PREP
- Ace the Case - case interview prep
- ArgoPoint - case interview prep
- Bloomberg Institute
- Bureau of Economic Analysis
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- CATO Institute
- The Deal
- Deal Breaker
- The Economist
- The Financial Times
- Management Consulted - consulting prep
- Market Watch
- McKinsey Quarterly
- National Bureau of Economic Research
- Pinterest - the Career Center has many resources on Pinterest, especially for the consulting industry
- Seeking Alpha
- Training the Street
- Vault - type in your 810/811 number, then select "Career Insider" to access the following interview guides:
- Advice from Finance Professionals
- Case & Finance Interview Practice
- Consulting & Case Interviews
- Finance Interviews
- The Wall Street Journal
- Wall Street Oasis
- Wall Street Prep - investment banking training
COMPANY & SALARY RESEARCH
- Options, Futures, & Other Derivatives - John Hull
- Security Analysis & The Intelligent Investor - Benjamin Graham
- The Handbook of Fixed Income Securities - Frank Fabozzi
- Liar’s Poker - Michael Lewis
- Average is Over - Tyler Cowen
- The Fast Track: The Insider's Guide to Winning Jobs in Management Consulting, Investment Banking, & Securities Trading - Mariam Naficy
- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords.
- Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well.
- Start by joining the University of Georgia Economics Society group, & then expand from there.
- To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- GoinGlobal - View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides (Login using your 810/811)
- Glassdoor - Glassdoor is a free jobs and career community that offers the world an inside look at jobs and companies. What sets us apart is our "employee generated content" – anonymous salaries, company reviews, interview questions, and more – all posted by employees, job seekers, and sometimes the companies themselves. Now with nearly 3 million salaries and reviews, you have all the information you might need to make your next career decision.
- Portfolium - Your work and projects are undeniable proof of your skills – Portfolium will help you learn and allow you to display the top skills graduate schools and employers want. Portfolium is where you’ll upload your work, projects, presentations and more. The UGA Career Center has pre-loaded your profile to include the top skills graduate schools and employers seek in their candidates. Log-in to your profile to see how you can build your skills!
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Terry Connect - Terry's online mentorship platform. By creating an online profile during the active enrollment period (mid-late August) students will be matched with a mentor in their prospective industry for advice on job/internship searches, interview skills, and professional development. Students are also able to engage with alumni and each other on discussion boards and in special interest groups.
GENERAL EMPLOYMENT WEBSITES
- Handshake - login with your UGA myID & password to search for internships & jobs
- GoinGlobal - login with your UGA myID & password; click "GoinGlobal" to access international jobs & internships
- Idealist - non-profit jobs
- USAJobs - federal jobs
MAJOR & CAREER-SPECIFIC EMPLOYMENT WEBSITES
Economics Students Interested in Understanding & Interpreting Financial Matters
- American Association of Finance & Accounting
- American Bankers Association
- American Finance Association
- Association of Financial Professionals
- Financial Management Association
- Financial Planning Association
- International Academy of Business & Financial Management
- Securities Industry & Financial Markets Association
Economics Students Interested in Quantitative Analysis
- American Mathematical Society
- American Statistical Association
- Institute for Operations Research & the Management Sciences
- Society for Industrial & Applied Mathematics
Economics Students Interested in Investment Banking
- CFA Institute
- Leaders Global Network
- Mergers & Inquisitions
- New York Society of Security Analysts
- Securities Industry & Financial Markets Association
Economics Students Interested in Insurance
Economics Students Interested in Consulting
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|1000 Faces Coffee||Shift Lead||Alight Solutions||Client Specialist||Ally||Dealer Credit Analyst||American Lawn Mower||Product Analyst||Apple||AppleCare Advisor||Athens Residential Solutions||Project Manager and Chief Customer Relations||Azalea Health||Financial Analyst||Bain and Co.||Not Specified||Better Baseball Superstore||Sales Representative||Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System||Research Assistant||Cambridge Associates||Junior Investment Performance Associate||Carter's, Inc.||HR Coordinator||CBRE||Financial Analyst||CEVA Logistics||Sales Support Specialist||Chick-fil-A||Food Quality and Food Safety Director, Manager||Citizens Bank||Analyst||Coyote Logistics||Billing Specialist||Credigy||Analyst||Daugherty Business Solutions||Associate Consultant||Deloitte||Analyst||Dillard's Inc.||Business Manager||Docebo||Business Development Representative||Dropbox||Financial Analyst||Duff & Phelps||Business Valuation Analyst||Dunes Inn & Suites||Manager||Edward Jones||Financial Advisor Trainee||Emory University||Capital Projects Analyst||Equifax||Data Visualization Analyst||Ernst & Young||Associate Analyst, Automation Engineer, Staff - Technology Advisory, Transfer Pricing Consultant, Transfer Pricing Staff||Account Manager, Partner Manager||FCCI Insurance Group||Trainee||First American Bank and Trust Company||Management Trainee||Fortress Group, Inc||Research Analyst||Furniture Bank of Metro Atlanta||Outreach and Fundraising Intern||Gourmet Culinary Solutions||Warehouse Manager||Grant Thornton||Associate||Gregory Pest Solutions||Business Operations Analyst||HDH Advisors, LLC||Financial Analyst||Hewlett Packard Enterprise||Project Manager||Hodges-Mace||Data Analyst||Insight Data Science||Book Keeper - Health||Insight Global||Accounts Receivable||Intercontinental Exchange||Market Supervision Analyst||InterContinental Hotels Group||CMH Revenue Management Intern||ISG Partners||Business Development Representative||Keybridge||Research Assistant||KPMG||Operations & Compliance Risk Associate, Risk Advisory Associate||LeadingAgile||Consultant||LG Hausys||Business Development Analyst||Lincoln Financial Group||Analyst||ListenClear||Inside Sales Representative||Meltwater||Sales Consultant||Mercer||Government Health Consulting Analyst||Merrill Lynch||Financial Advisor Trainee||MINDBODY, Inc.||Sales Development Representative||Morgan Stanley||Wealth Manager||Nextstar Communications||Sales Manager||Nolan Transportation Group||Financial Analyst||Nthrive||Financial Analyst||OneTrust||Analyst||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||OTR Capital||Sales Underwriter||Pinnacle Bank||ITM Specialist||Prestige Staffing||Technical Recruiter||Priorities USA||Digital Advertising/Analytics Fellow||Prudential Financial||Financial Professional Associate||PwC||Associate Consultant, Tax Associate||R-T Specialty||Production Associate||RBC Wealth Mangement||Private Wealth Management Intern||Red Ventures||Strategic Analyst||Revenue Account Analyst||Norfolk Southern Corporation||Sedgwick||Insurance Adjuster||Sequium Asset Solutions, LLC||Business Optimization Specialist||SIS||Junior Functional Consultant||SunTrust Bank||Consumer Operations Rotational Analyst, Senior Data Science Analyst, Data Science Accelerator Program||Susquehanna International Group||Buy Side Equity Research Analyst||Synovus||DRR Credit Analyst||The Hackett Group||Associate Consultant||The Home Depot||Merchandise Planner, Quality Assurance Analyst||The Rainmaker Group||Sales Development Representative||The Scion Group||Sales Experience Specialist||TradeSecure, LLC||Intern||Triage Consulting Group||Associate Consultant||Tripwire Interactive LLC||IT Manager||Turner Broadcasting System||Broadcast IT Support||U.S. Department of State||Human Rights Intern||U.S. FDIC||Financial Insitution Specialist||U.S. Lumber Group||Financial Analyst||U.S. Marine Corps||2nd Lieutenant||U.S. Military||Not Specified||University of Georgia||Annual Giving Officer||Unum||Sales Consultant||UPS||Economic Modeling Supervisor||USA Intercargo LLC||International Business Development||Vanguard||Client Relations Associate, Inheritance Specialist|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Economics - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|Augusta University||Medicine, MD||Boston College||Law, JD||Colorado State University||Applied Economics, MA||Emory University||Business Analytics, MSBA||Georgetown University||Biotechnology, MS; Post-Baccalaureate, Certificate||Georgia State University||Law, JD||New York University||Law, JD||Tsinghua University||Global Affairs, MA||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA; Forestry and Natural Resources, MS; Law, JD; Public Administration, MPA||University of Pennsylvania||Economics, PhD||University of Virginia||Law, JD||Wake Forest University||Law, JD|