What Can I Do With a Major In Family and Consumer Sciences Education?
UGA Specific Information for Family and Consumer Sciences Education
The FACS Education curriculum is comprised of College of Education teaching methodology courses and from the following degree program areas offered by the College of Family and Consumer Sciences: Human Development and Family Science; Foods and Nutrition; Financial Planning, Housing and Consumer Economics; and Textiles, Merchandising and Interiors. Completers of this program will be eligible for state educator certification in Family and Consumer Sciences for grades 6-12.
Graduates may be employed in schools, extension offices and education centers as FACS educators. FACS educators are equipped to help others improve their quality of their lives in areas such as eating healthy, developing in their families, and improving their homes. FACS Education majors have multiple teaching offers in the State of Georgia after graduation. Placement is 100%. FACS Education graduates teach courses in nutrition, parenting, childcare, fashion merchandising, and interior design. Graduates are also employed as educators by government entities, business and industry, or community based non-profits.
Class of 2020 Career Outcomes for Family and Consumer Sciences Education*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Connect with Marla Ebert, your Career Consultant - click her to find information on how to schedule an appointment and drop-in hours
- Family & Consumer Scienced Education Academic Advisor - Debra Peavler
- UGA FDNS Department - FACS Education
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Student Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- Phi Upsilon Omicron (FACS Honor Society)
- Kappa Delta Epsilon
- Collegiate Middle Level Association
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Involvement Network
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- UGA Mentor Program- Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Interstride- View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government.
- Georgia Charter Schools Association • Georgia Department of Education • Georgia Independent School Association • Georgia Independent School Association • Georgia Independent School Association • SchoolSpring • Southern Teachers Agency • Teachers-Teachers.com • TeachGeorgia • The American Association for Employment in Education Job Board • Jobs in Extension, Outreach, Research, and Higher Education • U.S. Department of State - Teaching Overseas
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - National Alliance of Black School Educators • National Education Association • Association of American Educators • National Coalition for Family and Consumer Sciences Education
LINKEDIN- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2020 Family and Consumer Sciences Education majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Four Seasons Pet Resort||General Manager|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2020 Family and Consumer Sciences Education majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|University of Georgia||Workforce Education, Master's|