What Can I Do With a Major In Family and Consumer Sciences Education?
UGA Specific Information for Family and Consumer Sciences Education
The FACS Education curriculum is comprised of College of Education teaching methodology courses and from the following degree program areas offered by the College of Family and Consumer Sciences: Human Development and Family Science; Foods and Nutrition; Financial Planning, Housing and Consumer Economics; and Textiles, Merchandising and Interiors. Completers of this program will be eligible for state educator certification in Family and Consumer Sciences for grades 6-12.
Graduates may be employed in schools, extension offices and education centers as FACS educators. FACS educators are equipped to help others improve their quality of their lives in areas such as eating healthy, developing in their families, and improving their homes. FACS Education majors have multiple teaching offers in the State of Georgia after graduation. Placement is 100%. FACS Education graduates teach courses in nutrition, parenting, childcare, fashion merchandising, and interior design. Graduates are also employed as educators by government entities, business and industry, or community based non-profits.
Class of 2022 Career Outcomes for Family and Consumer Sciences Education*
** Includes Self-Employed
Connect with Jessica McLeod-Waddell, your Career Consultant - click here to find information on how to schedule an appointment
Daily Drop-In Hours: (staffed by Career Center graduate assistants and student interns)
In-Person: Mondays – Thursdays, 11 am – 2 pm in Clark Howell Hall (2nd Floor)
Virtual: Fridays, 11 am – 2 pm, career.uga.edu/appointments
- UGA FDNS Department - FACS Education
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Student Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- Phi Upsilon Omicron (FACS Honor Society)
- Kappa Delta Epsilon
- Collegiate Middle Level Association
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Involvement Network
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
Firsthand - Company rankings/profiles, industry career guides, and advice articles
Candid Career - Recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers
- UGA Mentor Program- Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Interstride- View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government.
- Georgia Charter Schools Association • Georgia Department of Education • Georgia Independent School Association • Georgia Independent School Association • Georgia Independent School Association • SchoolSpring • Southern Teachers Agency • Teachers-Teachers.com • TeachGeorgia • The American Association for Employment in Education Job Board • Jobs in Extension, Outreach, Research, and Higher Education • U.S. Department of State - Teaching Overseas
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - National Alliance of Black School Educators • National Education Association • Association of American Educators • National Coalition for Family and Consumer Sciences Education
LINKEDIN- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2022 Family and Consumer Sciences Education majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
Possible Employers Who May Hire UGA Family and Consumer Sciences Education Majors
Buford City School District | Cherokee County Schools | Douglas County School System | Fannin County School District | Hapeville Charter Career Academy | Houston County Schools | Taweda County Schools
Possible Job Titles for UGA Family and Consumer Sciences Education Majors
Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher | Teacher
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2022 Family and Consumer Sciences Education majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Augusta Technical College||Not Specified||University of Georgia||Workforce Education, PhD||University of Georgia||Workforce Education, PhD|