What Can I Do With a Major In Film Studies?
UGA Specific Information for Film Studies<! -- begin major description -->
The major in film studies concentrates on the history and theory of film as an art form. It provides exploration of the medium through courses in several fields, including not only film studies but also comparative literature, English, Romance languages, and Germanic and Slavic languages. Film is among the newest of the arts and its development reflects the changes in the modern and contemporary world. While the focus of the program is on history and theory of film, courses are also included that deal with acting, directing and writing for camera.The concentration on history, criticism, and practice prepares students to pursue Film Studies in graduate school, to move into new digital media, to help critique and generate the images and sounds that shape our culture, or to combine other areas of interest, such as education, with cinema studies. Many graduates of film studies find positions with film companies, film archives, festivals, or they work as art managers, critics, journalists, independent artists, and teachers.<! -- end major description -->
Class of 2021 Career Outcomes for Film Studies*
** Includes Self-Employed
<! -- begin campus resources -->
- Theatre and Film Studies Department Website
- Theatre and Film Studies Facebook Page
- Theatre and Film Studies Flickr Page
- Creative Writing Club Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Filmaking Union at UGA Email: email@example.com
- Cine Club Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ideas for Creative Exploration (ICE)
- UGA Performing Arts Center
- The Arts at UGA
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the UGA Involvement Network
- Connect with your Career Consultant
<! -- begin additional UGA Career Center recommendations -->
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Get involved and build your resume early. Consider internships and volunteer opportunities to demonstrate work ethic and experience through-out your resume. Join student organizations that fit your interests and career goals. Also, consider informational interviews of professionals within your field. Visit the career center website or career guide for more information about informational interviewing including questions to ask and a cold calling script.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- Handshake (login with your UGA MyID and password)
- GoinGlobal (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Idealist (nonprofit jobs)
- USAJobs (federal jobs)
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2021 Film Studies majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2021 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Blackhall Studios||Stage Manager||Tyler Perry Studios||Photographer|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2021 Film Studies majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Kennesaw State University||Not Specified||University of Georgia||Film, Television and Digital Media, MFA||University of Michigan||Fine Arts, MS||University of North Georgia||Undeclared, BA|