What Can I Do With a Major In Financial Planning?
UGA Specific Information for Financial Planning
The Financial Planning major prepares students to become client-focused professional financial planners who help individuals and families create, manage and transfer wealth efficiently. The program is registered with the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc., and the Association of Financial Counseling and Planning Education. Graduates are eligible to sit for the Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) and Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC®) examinations.
The Financial Planning program provides students with knowledge, skills and technical expertise to enter the marketplace as a financial planner or financial counselor. Demand for graduates has consistently exceeded the number of students in the major. Graduates earn competitive salaries and have a variety of career options. Financial planning is ranked among the nation’s fastest growing (Money magazine) and most rewarding (Jobs Rated Almanac) careers.
Additionally, graduates have been accepted to the nation's most prestigious graduate schools, gone on to law school, written papers published in leading financial planning opinion journals, and gone on to own and manage leading financial planning firms.
Class of 2021 Career Outcomes for Financial Planning*
** Includes Self-Employed
Connect with Jessica McLeod-Waddell, your Career Consultant - click here to find information on how to schedule an appointment
Daily Drop-In Hours: (staffed by Career Center graduate assistants and student interns)
In-Person: Mondays – Thursdays, 11 am – 2 pm in Clark Howell Hall (2nd Floor)
Virtual: Fridays, 11 am – 2 pm, career.uga.edu/appointments
- Consumer Economics Academic Advisor - Christie Sanders
- UGA FHCE Department - Financial Planning
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Student Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- Student Financial Planning Association
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Involvement Network
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
Firsthand - Company rankings/profiles, industry career guides, and advice articles
Candid Career - Recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers
- UGA Mentor Program- Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Interstride- View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - National Association of Personal Financial Advisors • Financial Planning Association • Certified Financial Planning Board • Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education
LINKEDIN - Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2021 Financial Planning majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2021 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Angel Oak Mortgage Solutions||Secondary Lock Desk Analyst||Ashton Woods Homes||Project Manager||Cannon Financial Strategists, Inc.||Associate||Cannon Financial Strategists, Inc.||Associate||Chick-fil-A||Director of Operations||Concord Financial Planning Group||Paraplanner||Donaldson Capital Management||Associate Investment Advisor||E*TRADE||Associate Financial Services Representative||Elwood & Goetz Wealth Advisory||Associate Financial Planner||Fidelity Investments||Financial Representative||Fidelity Investments||Workplace Planning Associate||Fisher Investments||Client Service Associate||Fisher Investments||Client Service Associate||Florida Financial Advisors||Junior Financial Consultant||Foxit Software, Inc.||Sales Development Representative||Gartner||Business Development||Homrich Berg||Associate Financial Planner||Integrated Wealth Strategies||Financial Paraplanner||Landmark Properties, Inc.||Resident Services Manager||Lifetime Wealth Management||Financial Advisor||Lighthouse Financial||Assistant Financial Planner||Lockton Companies||Benefits Analyst||Meritas Wealth Management||Resident Associate||Morgan Stanley||Client Associate||Morgan Stanley||Client Services Representative||Morgan Stanley||Workplace Solutions Professional||Morgan Stanley||Service Associate||New Planner Recruiting||Account Executive||New Planner Recruiting||Account Executive||New Planner Recruiting||Account Executive||New Planner Recruiting||Account Executive||New York Life||Financial Services Professional||Northwestern Mutual||Associate Financial Representative||Pierson Wealth Management||Administrative Assistant||Power House Remodeling||Sales Representative||Rugged Road Outdoors||CEO||SalesLoft||Sales Development Representative||Select Quote||Insurance Agent||Signature FD||Planning Associate||Staples||B2B Sales Associate||State Farm||Account Manager||State Farm||Account Representative||State Farm||Insurance Salesman||TIAA||Financial Services Consultant||TRC Staffing Services, Inc.||Recruiter||US Army||Morterman||Walker & Dunlop||Analyst||Western Southern Life Insurance||Financial Representative|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2021 Financial Planning majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Georgia Southwestern University||Undeclared, BA||University of Georgia||Behavioral Financial Planning, MS||University of Georgia||Unspecified||University of Kansas||Business Administration and Management, MBA|