What Can I Do With a Major In Financial Planning?
UGA Specific Information for Financial Planning
The Financial Planning major prepares students to become client-focused professional financial planners who help individuals and families create, manage and transfer wealth efficiently. The program is registered with the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc., and the Association of Financial Counseling and Planning Education. Graduates are eligible to sit for the Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) and Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC®) examinations.
The Financial Planning program provides students with knowledge, skills and technical expertise to enter the marketplace as a financial planner or financial counselor. Demand for graduates has consistently exceeded the number of students in the major. Graduates earn competitive salaries and have a variety of career options. Financial planning is ranked among the nation’s fastest growing (Money magazine) and most rewarding (Jobs Rated Almanac) careers.
Additionally, graduates have been accepted to the nation's most prestigious graduate schools, gone on to law school, written papers published in leading financial planning opinion journals, and gone on to own and manage leading financial planning firms.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Financial Planning*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Connect with Marla Ebert, your Career Consultant - click her to find information on how to schedule an appointment and drop-in hours
- Consumer Economics Academic Advisor - Christie Sanders
- UGA FHCE Department - Financial Planning
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Student Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- Student Financial Planning Association
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Involvement Network
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- UGA Mentor Program- Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Interstride- View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - National Association of Personal Financial Advisors • Financial Planning Association • Certified Financial Planning Board • Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education
LINKEDIN - Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Abound Wealth||Financial Associate||Ameriprise Financial Services, Inc.||Financial Planning Associate, Intern||Ashton Advisors||Financial Advisor||Atlanta Financial Associates||Associate Advisor||AXA Advisors||Advisor||Brightworth||Financial Planner||Cannon Financial Institute||Client Marketing Specialist Intern||Cannon Financial Strategists, Inc.||Financial Planner||Cortland||Leasing Consultant||Coyote Logistics||National Account Manager||Fields Automotive||Salesperson||FNS, Inc.||Accounting Representative||Georgia Center for Sight||Accounts Receivable Associate||Henssler Financial||Client Service Associate||Highland Trust Partners||Planning Associate||KingsMark Private Financial Adviors||Associate Financial Planner||Markel Financial Services||Financial Advisor Assistant||New Net Technologies NNT||Sales Development Representative||Northwestern Mutual||Financial Associate||NYC Deferred Compensation Plans||Intern||Ronald Blue Trust||Financial Planner||Stable Waters Financial||Associate Advisor||Stewardship Financial Advisors||Financial Advisor||Symetra Tour||Professional Golfer||Synovus||Accelerated Banker, Bank Teller||The Citadel||Assistant Director of Athletic Equipment||Triage Consulting Group||Analyst||University of Georgia||Gift Accounting Associate||Vanguard||Associate, Brokerage Investment Professional||Yeomans Consulting Group, Inc.||Intern|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Financial Planning - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|University of Florida||International Business, MIB||University of Georgia||Financial Planning, MSFCS|