What Can I Do With a Major In Forestry?
UGA Specific Information for Forestry
Forestry is the profession of sustainably managing forest lands to meet society’s demands for wood, clean water, wildlife habitat, recreation, conservation of forest flora and fauna, and climate amelioration. The Forestry major at UGA is the only 4-year degree program in the state of Georgia that is accredited by the Society of American Foresters (SAF), and it meets the educational requirements for the SAF Certified Forester credential. Graduates from this major are also eligible to become state-licensed, registered foresters. The Forestry major provides a firm understanding of forest ecosystems, the way people view and utilize the forest, and the management tools and concepts applied in forest management. The curriculum stresses “hands-on” field experience, teamwork, and developing critical thinking skills through problem analysis.
Graduates frequently take employment in the region’s dynamic forest products industry, with forestry or environmental consulting firms, or with public land management agencies.
Class of 2022 Career Outcomes for Forestry*
** Includes Self-Employed
To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
Connect with your Career Consultant for guidance and support
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Some states have forester credentialing laws including licensing and registration statutes. Some states may accept parts of the Society of American Foresters (SAF) certification program including, but not limited to, passage of the examination and Continuing Forestry Education. Please contact the state board for detailed information using the contact information available at the link below.
Both licensing and registration requirements usually require a 4-year degree in forestry and several years of forestry work experience. Candidates who want a license also may be required to pass an exam.
*Source: The Society of American Foresters
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Georgia Career Information Center (accessible only on campus computers)
- Firsthand (Explore a library of guides, articles, and other resources to help you explore careers, plan your job search, and learn about different work environments. Create a free account with your UGA email.)
- Candid Career (Watch recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers. Filter videos by career title, college major, industry, and more.)
- Get Forestry Jobs
- Forestry USA Jobs
- Society of American Foresters Job Board
- International Society of Arboriculture Careers
- Georgia Forestry Commission Employment
- U.S. Forest Service Jobs
- National Association of State Foresters Job Board
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service Careers
- Society for Range Management Job Board
- Forest Products Society Career Center
- Alliance for Community Trees Job Center
- Tree Care Industry Association Job Board
- Environmental Career Opportunities
- USA Jobs
- Society of American Foresters
- Georgia Forestry Commission
- Georgia Forestry Association
- United States Forest Service International Programs
- Society of Arboriculture
- National Park Service
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Bureau of Land Management
- Society for Range Management
- National Association of State Foresters
- Center for International Forestry Research
- Forest Products Society
- American Forest and Products Association
- Alliance for Community Trees
- Tree Care Industry Association
- Society of Wood Science and Technology
- Tree Foundation of Kern
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as we
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2022 Forestry majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|American Forest Management||Consultant Forester||HMWCF||Forester||Hogan Forest Services||Consulting Forester||Jim Mercer||Consulting Forester||Koppers Utility and Industrial Products||Procurement Forester|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2022 Forestry majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|University of Georgia||Wildlife Sciences, MNR||University of Georgia||Forest Resources, Master's|