What Can I Do With a Major In Furnishings and Interiors?
UGA Specific Information for Furnishings and Interiors
Furnishings and Interiors (FI) is an interior design program distinctly focused on residential design and offers students a unique and rewarding opportunity to learn and practice the skills necessary to work in a professional design firm. The program in addition to offering a specialized instruction in kitchen and bath design accredited by the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA) offers design studios in hospitality, adaptive re-use and visual merchandising/ retail. The FI program provides an interdisciplinary and experiential learning experience that develops your creative and technical skills in order to create innovative design solutions that promote health, safety and wellbeing within the interior built environment.
Class of 2022 Career Outcomes for Furnishings and Interiors*
** Includes Self-Employed
Connect with Jessica McLeod-Waddell, your Career Consultant - click here to find information on how to schedule an appointment
Daily Drop-In Hours: (staffed by Career Center graduate assistants and student interns)
In-Person: Mondays – Thursdays, 11 am – 2 pm in Clark Howell Hall (2nd Floor)
Virtual: Fridays, 11 am – 2 pm, career.uga.edu/appointments
- UGA TXMI Department - Furnishings and Interiors
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Student Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- National Kitchen and Bath Association Student Chapter
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Involvement Network
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
Firsthand - Company rankings/profiles, industry career guides, and advice articles
Candid Career - Recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers
- UGA Mentor Program- Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Interstride- View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - Organization of Black Designers • National Kitchen and Bath Association • International Interior Design Association • IAmerican Society of Interior Designers • U.S. Green Building Council • Organization of Black Designers • Advanced Functional Fabrics of America
LINKEDIN- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2022 Furnishings and Interiors majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Cloth & Kind||Junior Interior Designer||Distressed Vintage Couture||Lead Marketing Coordinator||Georgia Street Design||Design Assistant||Janie Willburn||Interior Designer||Kelly Caron Designs||Design Assistant||The Studio Entourage||Interior Designer|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2022 Furnishings and Interiors majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.