What Can I Do With a Major In Greek?
UGA Specific Information for Greek<! -- begin major description -->
The Greek major at UGA provides students with an opportunity to pursue studies in Greek literature, history, archaeology, art, philosophy, and religion while concentrating on the Greek language. Studying Greek will not only give students practical language skills, but also scholarly tools and a comprehensive understanding of the literature, culture, and linguistical distinctives of the Greek language. Studying Greek will also improve a student’s ability to communicate cross culturally, increase his or her understanding and sensitivity to different cultures, and broaden his or her knowledge about the world. Career opportunities for graduates include teaching at the secondary level, non-teaching academic positions, museum work, library work, editorial work, positions in the travel and tourist industry, and government positions in Foreign Service.<! -- end major description --> <! -- begin Employers hiring * majors --> <! -- end Employers hiring * majors --> <! -- begin Possible Employers hiring * majors -->
Possible Employers Who May Hire UGA Greek Majors
Archives | Bookstores | Boy Scouts of America | Consulting Services | Consumer Affairs Office | Education Departments | Foreign Service | Georgia Historical Society | Government Agencies | Hartford Insurance | Historical Societies | Human Service Agencies | Insurance Companies | Justice Department | Legislatures | Library of Congress | Magazines & Newspapers | Museums | National Archives | Nonprofit Foundations | Political Organizations | Professional Associations | Public Interest Groups | Public Relations Firms | Publishing Companies | PwC | Research Foundations | Social Service Agencies | Travel and Tour Agencies<! -- end Possible Employers hiring * majors --> <! -- begin job titles --> <! -- end job titles --> <! -- begin Possible Job Titles -->
Possible Job Titles for UGA Greek Majors
Announcer | Archaeologist | Bilingual Educator | Civil Service Worker | Consultant | Copy Editor | Customs Inspector | Diplomat | Educator/Instructor | Film Editor | Flight Attendant | Foreign News Correspondent | Foreign Services Officer | Historian | Hotel Manager | Interpreter/Translator | Journalist | Lexicographer | Librarian | Linguist | Peace Corps Volunteer | Programmer | Proofreader | Research Assistant | Speech Pathologist | Technical Writer | Theologian | Underwriter<! -- end Possible Job Titles --> <! -- begin grad schools --> <! -- end grad schools --> <! -- begin campus resources -->
To find additonal clubs and organizations, visit the Center for Student Organizations.
And connect with your Career Consultant!
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
- Classics Majors Find Their Futures
- Rogue Classicism
- The Stoa Consortium
- Perseus Digital Library
- Encyclopedia Mythica
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. To search, select “groups” under the “interests” tab. Also, review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Interested in graduate school? Find current information on getting into graduate school at UGA’s Career Center webpage.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- My Next Move - Powered by O*NET
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides
- Candid Career - View professionals speaking about their careers
- Idealist Careers - Helping You Find a Nonprofit Career
- DAWGlink - Career Opportunities for UGA Students and Alumni (login with your UGA MyID and password)
- GoinGlobal - International (to access, login with your DAWGlink account)
- Idealist - Nonprofit
- USAJOBS - Federal
- Society for Classical Studies
- American Classical League
- The Classical Association of the Middle West and South
- National Classics Honor Society
- National Committee for Latin and Greek
- Classical Language Teachers Association
- Association of Ancient Historians
- American Philosophical Association
- American Translators’ Association
- Archaeological Institute of America