What Can I Do With a Major In International Affairs?
UGA Specific Information for International Affairs
International Affairs is the comprehensive study of global issues of importance in the contemporary world. The focus in this field is on topics such as war and peace, globalization and economic development, as well as domestic and international politics and economics. The major is divided into two subfields: comparative politics and international relations. Comparative politics is the study of domestic politics in developed and developing countries and the different ways that countries deal with global issues. International relations studies how countries relate and interact with one another, as well as with multinational entities, as they deal with global issues.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for International Affairs*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Model United Nations
- SPIA Student Organizations
- SPIA Study Abroad opportunities
- Center for the Study of Global Issues (GLOBIS)
- Center for International Trade and Security (CITS)
- SPIA Ambassadors Program
To find additonal clubs and organizations, visit the Center for Student Organizations.
And connect with your Career Consultant!
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
SKILLS acquired with your degree
- Understanding complex factors within problems
- Perceiving patterns/structures
- Comparing/contrasting interpretations
- Assessing cultural differences
- Assessing conflicting viewpoints
- Analytical writing
- Drafting documents
- Summarizing and presenting information
- Public speaking
- Language proficiency
- Strong writing skills
- Defining problems
- Formulating and assessing hypotheses
- Gathering and analyzing information
- Using original sources
- Understanding cultural contexts
- Interpreting data
- Evaluating evidence and results
- Reading critically
SAMPLE INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
- White House Fellows
- U.S. State Department
- International labor organizations (e.g. AFL-CIO)
- U.S. or State Congress
- Research Institutes/Think Tanks (e.g. Brookings Institute, Urban Institute)
- International development and relief (e.g. Freedom House, AED, USAID)
- Environmental organization (e.g. EPA, PIRC, Green Peace)
- Educational programs (e.g. Summerbridge)
- Financial services (e.g. The Emerging Markets Private Equity Association)
- Consulting firms (e.g. Drum Cussac Inc.)
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Intelligence and National Security (e.g. Intellibridge.com, CIA)
- Political Action Committees (PACs) (e.g. American Israeli PAC)
- Government consulting (e.g. DFI, SAIC)
- Non-Governmental Organizations (e.g. Search for Common Ground)
- Develop linguistic skills. Become fluent in a second and third language.
- Demonstrate intercultural competency, sensitivity, and tolerance.
- Gain experience communicating with people from other cultures. Seek opportunities to interact with international students on campus or in your community.
- Study abroad, work abroad, or travel to a foreign country while in school to develop language skills and international competency.
- Commit to a continuous study of host country’s language.
- Develop a good understanding of etiquette and business practices in country of target.
- Look for temporary or volunteer positions abroad.
- Obtain daily papers in target city to determine international and national news, business features, real estate markets, and community calendars.
- Get your foot in the door through domestic positions because many international employers promote current employees to international positions.
- Develop traits such as creativity, initiative, tenacity, a willingness to take risks, an adventurous spirit, and a sense of humor.
- In general, international positions are competitive and difficult to obtain. Be proactive in developing the skills and experiences that will prepare you for an overseas job.
- Be very planful about building an international career. It takes time to develop a set of skills and experiences that will prepare you for an overseas job.
- Learn about international travel regulations including the specific visa requirements for the country you’re traveling to and the jobs you’ll be working in.
- Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. To search, select “groups” under the “interests” tab. Also, review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Interested in graduate school? Find current information on getting into graduate school at UGA’s Career Center webpage.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- My Next Move
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (under the Resources tab, select Online Resources)
- Candid Career - View professionals speaking about their careers (under the Resources tab, select Online Resources)
- Idealist Careers - Helping You Find a Nonprofit Career
- Data Analytics for Public Policy - Guide to public policy analytics degrees, the intersection of data science and policy, tips on industry applications, jobs, conferences, internships, and more!
- Go Government - Select "Find Your Fit" and then "Browse information by Agency"
- US Department of State
- US Agency for International Development (USAID)
- US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Defense Intelligence Agency
- National Security Agency
- Peace Corps
- United Nations
- Office of the U.S. Trade Representative
- U.S. International Trade Commission
- USAID 2015 VOLAG Report - List of voluntary relief agencies engaged in overseas relief and development
- The Washington Center
- OXFAM International
- Amnesty International
- Transparency International
- Habitat for Humanity
- American Red Cross
- Catholic Relief Services
- List of think tanks in the U.S. (Wikipedia)
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Institute for Policy Studies
- Center for Strategic and International Studies
- Escape Artist
- Resources for Working Overseas - from the U.S. Department of State
- Transitions Abroad
- Overseas Jobs
- Global Jobs
- Global Development Jobs
- Riley Guide - International Resources
- Go Abroad
- Language Corps - Teach English Abroad
- Athens-Clarke County Employment Guide
- Team Georgia - Careers with the State of Georgia
- The Carter Center
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Policy Jobs
- Disaster Relief Agencies
- Humanitarian Relief Organizations
- World Trade Organization
- International Relations EDU
- USA.gov - Public Service and Volunteer Opportunities
- Foreign Policy Association
- Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs
- International Strategic Studies Association
- Center for International Policy
- Council on Foreign Relations
- American Foreign Policy Council
- Center for Strategic and International Studies
- American Foreign Service Association
- Georgetown Journal of International Affairs
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Accenture||Security Consulting Analyst||Administrative Office of the Courts of Georgia||Intern||Advanced Benefit Strategies, Inc.||Administrative Assistant||AEON||Foreign Language Teacher||AIPAC||Fellow||Amal Alliance||Program Intern||American Transaction Processors Coalition||Project Coordinator||AmeriCorps||Parent and Community Engagement VISTA||Austrian Ministry of Education||English Teaching Assistant||Blasingame, Burch, Garrard & Ashley, P.C.||Legal Assistant||Booz Allen Hamilton||Consultant||Brenda Lopez Romero for Congress||Campaign Fellow||Capgemini||Business Analyst||Capitol Hill||Intern||CASA de Maryland||Legal Assistant||Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)||Intern||City of Roswell||Administrative Specialist II||City of Sandy Springs||Public Relations Assistant||City Year||Development Operations Coordinator||CNN||Intern, Researcher with The Row||Cru||Short Term International Intern, Short Term International Staff||D Gonzalez Law LLC||Community, Media, and Policy Fellow||Dartmouth College||Debate Coach||David Kennedy & Associates||Paralegal||Deloitte||Analyst, Analyst with Strategy and Operations, Business Analyst, GPS Analyst, Strategy and Operations Analyst||Democratic Party of Georgia||Field Organizer||Dentons||Senior Public Policy Analyst||DKT Polish||Social and Digital Media Manager||Docebo||Customer Success Specialist||Domestic Violence Legal Empowerment and Appeals Project||Development Associate||Emory Hillel||Program Associate||Extra Special People, Inc.||Camp Counselor||FleishmanHillard||Diversity Fellow||Furniture Bank of Metro Atlanta||Outreach and Fundraising Intern||GDH Consulting||Consultant||Georgia Emergency Management Agency/Homeland Security||Equipment and Logistics Planner||Georgia State Governor's Office||Legislative Tracking Intern||Glass & Robson||Paralegal||Global Consortium LLC.||Business Development Analyst||GreenSky Financial Services||Business Development Associate||Groom Law Group||Legal Assistant||Hacettepe University||English Teacher||Healthcare Legal Solutions, LLC||Paralegal||Hill Holliday||Assistant Account Executive||Holland & Knight||Intern, Legislative Assistant||Homrich for Congress||Grassroots Coordinator||International Model United Nations Association||Not Specified||J. Walter Thompson INSIDE||Account Management Intern||KaiserDillon PLLC||Legal Assistant||Keybridge||Research Assistant||Kiwi Media Group||Global Distribution Specialist||Landis,Gyr||Proposal Writer||Law & Moran||Legal Assistant||Life Time Inc.||Supervisor||Liqui-Box||Sustainability Coordinator||LocumTenens.com||Credentialing Coordinator||Maxar||Radiant Solutions All-Source Analyst||McAllister & Quinn||Research Analyst||Meredith Corporation||allrecipes.com SEO Writer||Meridian Herald Inc||Digital Marketing Consultant||Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce||Economic Development||NASCO||IT Development Scheduler||National Democratic Institute||Program Assistant - Central and West Africa||NCR||Project Manager||Near East South Asia Center for Strategic Studies||Intern||Oblander Group||Financial Assistant||Office of U.S. Congressman Buddy Carter||Intern||Office of U.S. Congressman Jamie Raskin||Staff Assistant||Office of U.S. Congresswoman Dina Titus||Intern||Office of U.S. Congresswoman Jackie Walorski||Staff Assistant||Office of U.S. Senator David Perdue||Special Assistant, Staff Assistant||Office of U.S. Senator Johnny Isakson||Staff Assistant||Official JET Program USA||Not Specified||Old Dominion Freight Line||Management Trainee||Osgood Center for International Studies||Program Associate||Park and Associates||Legal Assistant||Pew Charitable Trusts||Legal Associate||Pinnacle Bank||ITM Specialist||Political Compliance Management Services||Compliance Associate||Prestige Staffing||Technical Recruiter||Priorities USA||Digital Advertising/Analytics Fellow||RAS Crane, LLC||Foreclosure Legal Assistant||ReluTech||Cloud Sourcing Analyst||Risk Management of Atlanta||Production Manager||Riverbend Environmental, Inc.||Environmental Specialist||Sidley Austin||Legal Secretary||Simpleray||Account Manager||Sperone Westwater||Gallery Assistant||Strategic Partners & Media||Production Coordinator||SunTrust Bank||Business Transformation Analyst||Teach For America||Teach For America Corps Member||Tennessee Valley Archaeological Research||Field Technician||The Byars Firm||Case Manager||The Carter Center||Conflict Resolution Intern||The International Scholar||Senior Editor||The Moreno Law Firm, LLC||Paralegal||The Nature Conservancy||Donor Communications and Stewardship GLOBE Intern||Third Bridge||Analyst||Town of Provincetown Planning and Conservation Department||Planning Assistant||U.S. Air Force||Finance Officer, Intelligence Officer||U.S. Army||2nd Lieutenant - Field Artillery, Aviation Officer, Cryptologic Linguist||U.S. Department of Defense||Human Geographer||U.S. Department of State||Human Rights Intern||U.S. Fulbright Student Program||Fulbright English Teaching Assistant||U.S. House of Representatives||Staff Assistant||University of Georgia||Brand Design Volunteer - Insect Zoo||University of Georgia Wesley Foundation||Intern||VMware||Order Management Analyst||Voice of America||Media Resources Team Supervisor||Walt Disney World||Cast Member||War Room Strategies||Special Projects and Operations Manager||Weishaupt House America Incorporated||Inside Sales||William Morris Endeavor||Floating Assistant||Winshape||Intern|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA International Affairs - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|American University||Law and Public Policy, JD/MPP||ATP Flight School||Commercial Pilot Certification Training Program, Certificate||Boston University||Public Health, MPH||College of Charleston||Law, JD||Duke University||Public Policy, MPP||Edinburgh Napier University||International Finance, MSc||George Mason University||International Security, MA||George Washington University||International Relations and Affairs, MA; Law, JD||Georgetown University||Law and Security Studies, MA/JD||Georgia Institute of Technology||Applied Languages and Intercultural Studies, MS-ALIS; Sustainable Energy and Environmental Management, MSEEM||Georgia State University||Law, JD; Not Specified||Mercer University||Law, JD||New York University||Law, JD||Not Specified||Not Specified||The George Washington University||International Affairs, MA||The New School||International Affairs, Not Specified||The University of Auckland||Not Specified, Not Specified||Tsinghua University||Global Affairs, MA||University College London||Public Diplomacy and Global Communication, MA||University of Erfurt||Public Policy, MPP||University of Georgia||International Policy, MIP; Law, JD; Nonprofit Management and Leadership, MA; Political Science and International Affairs, MA; Professional Counseling, MEd; Public Administration, MPA; Public Administration (Nonprofit Management), MPA||University of Miami||Law, JD||University of Minnesota||Biostatistics, MS||University of Virginia||Law, JD||Washington and Lee University||Law, JD; Not Specified|