What Can I Do With a Major In Latin American and Caribbean Studies?
UGA Specific Information for Latin American and Caribbean Studies
The LACS major aims to produce students with high levels of language competence and in-depth, substantive understanding of the societies, cultures, politics, and economies of the peoples of Latin America and the Caribbean. In a global workplace, the career options available to LACS graduates are immediate and highly visible: global industry and commerce, multi national nongovernmental organizations, government service, health programs, and K12 public education. LACS courses provide a useful introduction to other university programs and resources and an effective link with career options in business, engineering, education, social work, the media, counseling, urban planning, statistics, marketing, health, social sciences and the humanities.
Class of 2022 Career Outcomes for Latin American and Caribbean Studies*
** Includes Self-Employed
To find additonal clubs and organizations, visit the Center for Student Organizations.
And connect with your Career Consultant!
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
General Information and Strategies
- Latin American Studies provides an interdisciplinary background that helps students develop analytical, critical thinking, and writing skills while gaining knowledge about the cultures, histories, and languages of Mexico, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean.
- When paired with a major in another field, Latin American Studies can enhance the employability of a student because of a deeper understanding of the Latino experience which many organizations will value. Training in this field can lead to a better appreciation of certain customers or clients.
- Some students may choose to pursue Latin American Studies because they enjoy the subject but wish to pursue careers requiring “any major.” In this scenario, it is critical to develop skills relevant to targeted field through internships, part-time or summer jobs, or volunteer experiences.
- Latin American Studies majors are excellent candidates for a number of graduate school options because of their broad liberal arts background as well as specific interests that may set them apart from other students. For those wishing to pursue graduate education, maintain a high GPA, establish relationships with faculty to secure strong recommendations, and gain experience through volunteer, work, or research opportunities.
- Travel as much as possible to Latin America to experience it first-hand. Complete at least one study abroad experience. In the U.S., look for ways to interact with people from Latin America who are living in or visiting the States.
- More job opportunities may exist in parts of the United States where the Latino population is the largest or growing such as Florida, Texas, and California.
- Read and stay abreast of politics and current events in regions of interest.
- Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. To search, select “groups” under the “interests” tab. Also, review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Interested in graduate school? Find current information on getting into graduate school at UGA’s Career Center webpage.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- GoinGlobal - International (to access, login with your MyID and password)
- Idealist - Nonprofit
- USAJOBS - Federal
- Electronic Network for Latin American Careers and Employment (ENLACE)
- ESL (English as a Second Language) Jobs in Latin America
- Washington Office on Latin America
- Bilingual Jobs
- Center for International Trade and Security (CITS)
- CIA Foreign Language Positions
- U.S. Department of State Careers
- National Association for Bilingual Education
- U.S. Travel Association
- The Electronic Embassy: U.S. Foreign Embassies
- FBI Jobs
- United Nations Internships/Careers
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2022 Latin American and Caribbean Studies majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Glass & Robson, LLC
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2022 Latin American and Caribbean Studies majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|University of Georgia