What Can I Do With a Major In Management Information Systems?
UGA Specific Information for Management Information Systems<! -- begin major description -->
Management Information Systems (MIS) is a hands-on major which equips students with real-world skills that are in demand in the job market. Our program prepares students to lead IT-enabled change in organizations.
The Terry MIS program provides the foundation for students to go in a technical direction (such as a programmer or database administrator), a non-technical direction (such as a business process analyst or project manager), or somewhere in the middle (such as a business intelligence or IT risk & security specialist).<! -- end major description -->
Class of 2021 Career Outcomes for Management Information Systems*
** Includes Self-Employed
<! -- begin campus resources -->
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Society for Management Information Systems (SMIS) • Women in Business • Girls.Code() • Minorities in Tech (MIT) • Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) • Classic Hackers UGA Linux Users' Group • Women in Technology (WIT) • Terry Student Consulting • The MIS Advisory Board • UGAHacks
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Involvement Network
- LinkedIn Learning - Free Technical Training
- Certificate in Computing • Minor in Computer Science
<! -- begin additional UGA Career Center recommendations -->
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
POTENTIAL CAREER PATHS IN MIS
- Application Analyst - As an application analyst you'll combine the maintenance of IT services with working face-to-face users who need your technical support. Application analysts administrate, monitor, and maintain software infrastructures and applications.
- Business Analyst - As a business analyst, you'll work within an organization, helping to manage change and plan for the future in line with company goals. This could be for one specific project, or as a permanent feature of the organization. You'll need to understand the current organizational situation, identify future needs, and create solutions to help meet those needs, usually (but not always) in relation to information and software systems.
- Business Intelligence Analyst - A business intelligence analyst is in charge of producing financial and market intelligence by managing data. Business intelligence analysts analyze said data and create reports to deliver to business stakeholders for decision making.
- Data Analyst - Data analysts are in charge of producing and tracking key performance indicators. Additionally, they gather, understand, and document business requirements using a variety of tools and techniques. Additionally, data analysts manipulate, analyze, and interpret complex datasets relating to the business they work for.
- Database Administrator - Database administrators are in charge of the maintenance and security of databases. They test programs, fix errors, and make any necessary modifications to the databases they are in charge of. Additionally, database administrators are tasked with implementing security measures to ensure the integrity of said databases.
- Information Security Analyst - Information security analysts monitor, upgrade, and implement security measures for the protection of computer networks and sensitive business information. They are sometimes responsile for responding to security breaches and computer viruses. Additional responsibilities include encrypting data transmissions and erecting firewalls to protect valuable information.
- Information Systems Manager - Information systems managers direct daily department operations, analyze workflows, and coordinate activities in other areas related to information systems. Additionally, they review project plans and meet with stakeholders to resolve problems.
- Consultant - Consultants work with a variety of clients and advise them on how to best use information technology to meet their business objectives and overcome obstacles. Consultants meet with clients, define project scopes, travel to customer sites, analyze IT requirements, and develop solutions to problems. Additionally, consultants help with the implementation of new systems in a business.
- IT Technical Support - IT technical support is in charge of monitoring and maintaining computer systems and networks. They offer support on hardware and software issues either over the phone or in person. Job titles include application support specialists, help desk operators, technicians, etc.
- Network Systems Administrator - Network Systems Administrators are responsible for maintaining and administering computer networks, computer hardware, software, and applications. Additionally, they diagnose, troubleshoot and fix software and hardware problems related to the business' network and systems. They may also test website performance.
- Project Manager - Project Managers are in charge of managing projects and ensuring that they adhere to the pre-established budget, schedule, and scope. They must also track project milestones and deliverables to ensure the successful execution of the project. Project managers help develop project plans, objectives, technologies, schedules, funding, and staffing as well.
- Risk Advisory - Risk advisors manage risk by identifying, measuring, and making decisions on a variety of risks within an organization. Some key responsibilities include documenting key risks, communicating risks, maintaining data quality of risk management systems, and making recommendations on ways to control and reduce risk.
- Systems Analyst - Systems analysts analyze science, engineering, business, and other data problems to improve computer systems by implementing solutions to these issues. They analyze requirements and procedures to automate systems, improve workflow, and minimize limitations. Additionally, systems analysts troubleshoot program and system malfunctions to resolve issues.
- Web Content Manager - These individuals are incharge of the design, development, and maintenance of websites and web applications. In addition, web content managers back up applications and data for recovery should the website crash. They also determine sources of webpage errors and take action to resolve said issues. Finally, they are in charge of updating content and links in a timely manner.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS - ANSWERED BY YOUR CAREER CONSULTANT
When should I start looking for jobs? The tech and business industries have two main recruitment seasons- September/October and January/February. May graduates are encouraged to recuit during both seasons. To support your search, the UGA Career Center hosts career fairs in September and January every year. To see the specific dates, look on Handshake.
What skills should I emphasize with employers? Of course your technical skillsand business acumen are valuable, but don't forget about your soft skills! Remember that programming languages can be taught, but it's much harder to teach someone skills like communication, work ethic, and leadership. Look at page 26 in the Career Guide to see a list of skills employers and graduate schools value.
What should my resume look like? A MIS resume typically follows standard resume formatting. To see a good example, check out the UGA Career Center resume samples.
What are cover letters? Why do I need to write them? A cover letter is a business letter written to the employer that explains why you are qualified and a good fit for their open position. It accompanies your resume when you apply for a job. While your resume is an overview of your experiences, a cover letter directly address how those experiences have qualified you for the role. The cover letter “builds the bridge” between your resume and the position description so that there is no miscommunication regarding your qualifications. For example, “My experience in ____ and ___ have directly prepared me for this role.” Good cover letters are tailored to the job you are applying to. Even if a cover leter is not required for a role, submitting one demonstrates your initiative and excitement about the role. To see an example cover letter, check out page 36-37 in the Career Guide.
Are internships important? Internships are great tools to help you achieve your goals for full-time employment. MIS students typically complete an internship the summer before their final year, but you are welcome to search for an internship earlier if you would like. While they are excellent tools, they are not prerequisites for the workforce. You can demonstrate your skills and experiences through other mediums, like class and/or independent projects, part-time jobs, student leadership, and more.
How can I meet with my career consultant for a one-on-one appointment? You can schedule an appointment with your career consultant by calling 706-254-3375 or logging in to Handshake. On Handshake, click on "Career Center" and then "Appointments."
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- UGA Mentor Program- Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Interstride- View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government.
NEWS - Computerworld• E-Commerce Times • Entertainment Software Association • Gartner Group • Government Computer News • InformationWeek • Internet News • IT World • PC Magazine
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - American Society for Information Sciences • Association for Computing Machinery • Association for Information Systems • Association for Women in Computing • Computer Software/Systems Jobs • Information Systems Security Association • Institute for the Certification of Computer Professionals • Internet Society • Mass Technology Leadership Council • Software & Information Industry Association • Storage Networking Industry Association
COMPANY & SALARY RESEARCH - Career Bliss • GlassDoor • Salary.com
LINKEDIN- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2021 Management Information Systems majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2021 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|A-lign||Staff Consultant||Abrio||Data Analyst||Accenture||Cloud Advisory Analyst||Accenture||Security Analyst||Accenture||Platform Advisory Analyst||Active Technologies, Inc.||Solution Support Specialist||Acuity Brands||Information Systems and Supply Chain Rotational Program||Ad Victoriam Solutions||Salesforce Analyst||Ad Victoriam Solutions||Salesforce Analyst||Aderant||Conversion Programmer||Advancing Justice-Atlanta||Community Organizer||Alight Solutions||Client Specialist||Alight Solutions||Data Engineer||Alight Solutions||Client Specialist||Ally||Data Analyst||Amazon.com, Inc.||Associate Account Executive||Amazon.com, Inc.||Sales Associate||Amazon.com, Inc.||Program Manager||Amplifi||Solutions Consultant||Aprio, LLP||Data Analytics Associate||Aramark||Associate Master Planner||Assurant||System Analyst||AT&T, Inc.||Technical Business Managers||AT&T, Inc.||Client Solutions Executive||AT&T, Inc.||Technical Business Manager||Bain & Company||Associate Consultant||Bank of America||Business Analyst||Bastian Solutions||Software Implementation Specialist||Bastian Solutions||Software Implementation Specialist||Bastian Solutions||Software Implementation Specialist||Bastian Solutions||Software Implementation Specialist||Bastian Solutions||Software Implementation Specialist||BDO USA, LLP||Audit Associate||BlackRock||Business Operations Analyst||Blue Triangle||Intern||BrandSafway||Security Awareness and Training Coordinator||Cannon Financial Strategists, Inc.||Technology Consultant||Capgemini||Consultant||Capgemini||Associate Consultant||Carolina Franchise Holdings||Systems Analyst||Caterpillar Financial Services||Information Security Analyst||CGI Inc.||Software Developer||CGI Inc.||Software Developer||CGI Inc.||Software Developer||CGI Inc.||Software Developer||CGI Inc.||Software Developer||Cherokee Brick & Tile||Assistant Programmer||Cherry Bekaert LLP||Staff Accountant||Cisco||Tech Consulting Engineer||Citi||Investment Banking Analyst||Coalfire Inc.||Associate consultant||Coalfire Inc.||Associate Consultant||Coalfire Inc.||Associate Consultant||Coalfire Inc.||Associate Consultant||Coalfire Inc.||Associate Consultant||Coalfire Inc.||Associate Consultant||Coalfire Inc.||Associate Consultant||Coalfire Inc.||Associate consultant||Cox Communications||Data Analyst||Credera||Management Consultant||Credera||Technology Consultant||Daugherty Business Solutions||Associate Consultant||DecisionLink||Associate Value Engineer||Deloitte||Associate TMO Analyst||Deloitte||Business Technology Solutions Analyst||Deloitte||Business Analyst||Deloitte||Application and Program Analyst||Deloitte||Application and Program Analyst||Deloitte||Analyst||Deloitte||Analyst||Deloitte||Application and Program Analyst||Deloitte||Application and Program Analyst||Deloitte||Business Technology Analyst||Deloitte||Analyst||Deloitte||Analyst||Deloitte||Analyst||Deloitte||Application and Program Analyst||Deloitte||Application and Program Analyst||Deloitte||Analyst||Deloitte||Application and Program Analyst||Dish Network||Associate||Dover Corporation||IT Leadership Development Associate||E*TRADE||Project Manager||Elavon, Inc.||Transformation Analyst||Epic Systems Corporation||Project Manager||Epic Systems Corporation||Analytics Systems Administrator||Equifax||Information Security Operations Analyst||EY||Technology Consultant||EY||Forensic and Integrity Services Associate||EY||Technology Consultant||EY||Cybersecurity Consultant||EY||Technical Consultant||EY||Technology Consultant||EY||ServiceNow Technology Consultant||EY||Technology Consultant||EY||Consultant||EY||Business Consultant||EY||Risk Advisory Consultant||EY||Indirect Tax Technology Associate||EY||Cybersecurity Consultant||EY||Technology Consulting Staff||EY||Assurance Staff||EY||Technology Consultant||FAST Enterprises, LLC||Implementation Consultant||Fastrics||Data Analytics Consultant||FIS||Implementation Conversion Analyst||Fiserv, Inc.||Performance Management - Hardware Services||Fred’s Historic Properties||Property Manager||Freddie Mac||Technical Analyst||Freddie Mac||Single-Family Analyst||General Motors||Software Developer||General Motors||Software Test Engineer||Cloud Technical Resident||Grant Thornton LLP||Risk Advisory Associate||Grant Thornton LLP||Attest Advisory Associate||Grant Thornton LLP||IT Audit Associate||Grant Thornton LLP||Tax Digital Consulting Associate||Guidehouse||Consultant||Hale Kauai||Staff||HCL Technologies||Software Engineer||Huron||ES&A Consulting Analyst||IBM||Associate Business Transformation Consultant||Infor||Software Engineer||Infor||Associate Software Engineer||Insight Global||Solution Analyst||Insight Sourcing Group||Consulting Analyst||Invesco||iTaP Associate||Iron Mountain||Industry Analyst||Itineris||Functional Analyst||Itineris||Functional Analyst||Itineris||Functional Analyst||Johnson Lambert, LLP||Associate||Johnson Lambert, LLP||Business Advisory Services Associate||Johnson Lambert, LLP||Business Advisory Services Associate||Kimley-Horn||IT Analyst||KPMG||Cybersecurity Associate||KPMG||Ignition Tax - Data & Analytics Associate||KPMG||Advisory Practice||KPMG||Analytics Associate||KPMG||Ignition Tax - Data & Analytics Associate||KPMG||Advisory Practice||KPMG||Associate Advisory - Enterprise Solutions||KPMG||Ignition Tax - Data & Analytics Associate||KPMG||Ignition Tax - Data & Analytics Associate||KPMG||Customer Solutions Associate||KPMG||Advisory Practice||KPMG||Ignition Tax - Data & Analytics Associate||KPMG||Advisory Associate||KPMG||Advisory Practice||KPMG||Customer Solutions Advisory Associate||KPMG||Advisory Associate||LexisNexis Risk Solutions||Technical Support Specialist||LogicGate||Professional Services Associate||LoRa Alliance||Marketing Associate||Manhattan Associates||Software Support Consultant||Manhattan Associates||Support Consultant||Manhattan Associates||Software Implementation Consultant||Manhattan Associates||Software Implementation Consultant||Manhattan Associates||Software Consultant||Manhattan Associates||PSO Implementation Consultant||MarketSphere Unclaimed Property Specialists||Senior Recovery Advisor||Microsoft||Customer Success Account Manager||NBCUniversal Media, LLC||Media Tech Associate||NCR Corporation||Development Coordinator||NCR Corporation||Product Owner||NCR Corporation||Business Operations Consultant||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||Program Management Analyst||NCR Corporation||PS Project Manager I||NCR Corporation||Business Operations Consultant||NCR Corporation||Business Analyst||NCR Corporation||Development Coordinator||NCR Corporation||Business Analyst||NCR Corporation||Data Analyst||NCR Corporation||Data Analyst 2||NCR Corporation||Development Coordinator||NCR Corporation||Business Analyst||NDNB||Security Auditor||Newell Brands||GBS Analyst, Data Analyst & Insights||NTT Data||Business Consultant||NTT Data||Consultant||NTT Data||Business Consultant||OneTrust||Technical Implementation Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Associate Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Technical Cloud Analyst||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle NetSuite||Functional Associate Consultant||Oracle NetSuite||Functional Associate Consultant||Origami Risk||Business System Analyst||Origami Risk||Risk Systems Analyst||Origami Risk||Business Systems Analyst||OTR Capital||Operations Coordinator||Palo Alto Networks||Business Development Representative||Pariveda||Technical Consultant||Perficient||Associate Business Consultant||Porsche Cars North America||Aftersales Technical Training||PowerPlan, Inc.||Business Analyst||PrizePicks||Analytics Intern||Protiviti||Foundations Consultant||Protiviti||Consultant||Protiviti||Foundations Consultant||Protiviti||Foundations Consultant||Protiviti||Technology Consultant||PwC||Cyber Security Analyst||PwC||Cybersecurity Associate||PwC||Technology Consultant||PwC||Technology Consultant||PwC||Cybersecurity, Privacy, and Forensics Consultant||PwC||Cybersecurity Associate||PwC||Associate||PwC||Cybersecurity and Privacy Consultant||PwC||Technology Advisory Associate||PwC||Associate||PwC||Acceleration Center Associate||PwC||Technology Consultant||PwC||Mergers and Acquisitions (DDV)||PwC||Technology Consulting Associate||QGenda||Customer Success Consultant||QGenda||Customer Success Consultant||RSM US LLP||Technology Consultant||RSM US LLP||Technology Consulting Associate||RSM US LLP||Technology Consultant Associate||RSM US LLP||Technology Consultant||RSM US LLP||Security and Privacy Risk Consultant||Serviot||Inside Sales Representative||Siemens||Finance Leadership Development Program||SimplePart LLC||Enterprise Consultant||SMC National||Web Designer||Sony Music Entertainment||Customer Relationship Management Analyst||Sungdo||QAQC Assistant Manager||Talent Path||Data Analyst||Target||Executive Team Leader||TaxZen||Marketing, Sales, and Cybersecurity Intern||Techport Thirteen Inc.||Associate Consultant||The FirstCall Consulting, Inc.||TitleDirector of Cybersecurity||The Home Depot||Sales Associate||The Home Depot||Associate Product Manager||The Home Depot||Operations Business Analyst||The Home Depot||Software Engineer||TIAA||Associate IT Internal Auditor||TrackMy Solutions||Implementation Analyst||Trimont Real Estate Advisors||Financial Analyst: Credit and Asset Management||Truist Securities||Investment Banking Analyst||U.S. Lumber||Data Analyst||Verizon||WFH Customer Service Specialist||VMware||Associate Consultant||Ware2Go||Revenue Analytics Analyst||Wells Fargo||Technology Analyst||Woods Partners||Business Intelligence Analyst|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2021 Management Information Systems majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Georgia Institute of Technology||Cybersecurity, MS||Georgia Institute of Technology||Cybersecurity, MS||Georgia Institute of Technology||Science in Computer Science, MS||Georgia Institute of Technology||Cybersecurity, MS||Georgia State University||Law, JD||Ohio State University||Computer & Information Sciences, MS||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Accountancy, MAcc||University of Georgia||Accountancy, MAcc||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Toronto||Sustainability Management, MSc|