What Can I Do With a Major In Management Information Systems?
UGA Specific Information for Management Information Systems
Management Information Systems (MIS) is a hands-on major which equips students with real-world skills that are in demand in the job market and prepares students to lead IT-enabled change in organizations.
The Terry MIS program provides the foundation for students to go in a technical direction (such as a systems analyst), a business-oriented direction (such as a consultant or project manager), or a data-oriented direction (such as a data analyst). There are also career options that overlap between these directions- see below for a more complete list of potential career paths in MIS.
Class of 2022 Career Outcomes for Management Information Systems*
** Includes Self-Employed
CAMPUS STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Society for Management Information Systems (SMIS) • Women in Business • Girls.Code() • Minorities in Tech (MIT) • Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) • Classic Hackers UGA Linux Users' Group • Women in Technology (WIT) • Terry Student Consulting • The MIS Advisory Board • UGAHacks
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Involvement Network
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
POTENTIAL CAREER PATHS IN MIS
- Application Analyst - As an application analyst you'll combine the maintenance of IT services with working face-to-face users who need your technical support. Application analysts administrate, monitor, and maintain software infrastructures and applications.
- Business Analyst - As a business analyst, you'll work within an organization, helping to manage change and plan for the future in line with company goals. This could be for one specific project, or as a permanent feature of the organization. You'll need to understand the current organizational situation, identify future needs, and create solutions to help meet those needs, usually (but not always) in relation to information and software systems.
- Business Intelligence Analyst - A business intelligence analyst is in charge of producing financial and market intelligence by managing data. Business intelligence analysts analyze said data and create reports to deliver to business stakeholders for decision making.
- Data Analyst - Data analysts are in charge of producing and tracking key performance indicators. Additionally, they gather, understand, and document business requirements using a variety of tools and techniques. Additionally, data analysts manipulate, analyze, and interpret complex datasets relating to the business they work for.
- Data Scientist - Data scientists deal with the unknown by using more advanced data techniques to make predictions about the future. They might automate their own machine learning algorithms or design predictive modeling processes that can handle both structured and unstructured data.
- Database Administrator - Database administrators are in charge of the maintenance and security of databases. They test programs, fix errors, and make any necessary modifications to the databases they are in charge of. Additionally, database administrators are tasked with implementing security measures to ensure the integrity of said databases.
- Information Security Analyst - Information security analysts monitor, upgrade, and implement security measures for the protection of computer networks and sensitive business information. They are sometimes responsile for responding to security breaches and computer viruses. Additional responsibilities include encrypting data transmissions and erecting firewalls to protect valuable information.
- Information Systems Manager - Information systems managers direct daily department operations, analyze workflows, and coordinate activities in other areas related to information systems. Additionally, they review project plans and meet with stakeholders to resolve problems.
- Consultant - Consultants work with a variety of clients and advise them on how to best use information technology to meet their business objectives and overcome obstacles. Consultants meet with clients, define project scopes, travel to customer sites, analyze IT requirements, and develop solutions to problems. Additionally, consultants help with the implementation of new systems in a business.
- Network Systems Administrator - Network Systems Administrators are responsible for maintaining and administering computer networks, computer hardware, software, and applications. Additionally, they diagnose, troubleshoot and fix software and hardware problems related to the business' network and systems. They may also test website performance.
- Project Manager - Project Managers are in charge of managing projects and ensuring that they adhere to the pre-established budget, schedule, and scope. They must also track project milestones and deliverables to ensure the successful execution of the project. Project managers help develop project plans, objectives, technologies, schedules, funding, and staffing as well.
- Risk Advisory - Risk advisors manage risk by identifying, measuring, and making decisions on a variety of risks within an organization. Some key responsibilities include documenting key risks, communicating risks, maintaining data quality of risk management systems, and making recommendations on ways to control and reduce risk.
- Systems Analyst - Systems analysts analyze science, engineering, business, and other data problems to improve computer systems by implementing solutions to these issues. They analyze requirements and procedures to automate systems, improve workflow, and minimize limitations. Additionally, systems analysts troubleshoot program and system malfunctions to resolve issues.
- Web Content Manager - These individuals are incharge of the design, development, and maintenance of websites and web applications. In addition, web content managers back up applications and data for recovery should the website crash. They also determine sources of webpage errors and take action to resolve said issues. Finally, they are in charge of updating content and links in a timely manner.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS - ANSWERED BY YOUR CAREER CONSULTANT
When should I start looking for jobs? The tech and business industries have two main recruitment seasons- September/October and January/February. May graduates are encouraged to recuit during both seasons. To support your search, the UGA Career Center hosts career fairs in September and January every year. To see the specific dates, look on Handshake.
What skills should I emphasize with employers? Of course your technical skillsand business acumen are valuable, but don't forget about your soft skills! Remember that programming languages can be taught, but it's much harder to teach someone skills like communication, work ethic, and leadership. Look at page 26 in the Career Guide to see a list of skills employers and graduate schools value.
What should my resume look like? A MIS resume typically follows standard resume formatting. To see a good example, check out the UGA Career Center resume samples.
What are cover letters? Why do I need to write them? A cover letter is a business letter written to the employer that explains why you are qualified and a good fit for their open position. It accompanies your resume when you apply for a job. While your resume is an overview of your experiences, a cover letter directly address how those experiences have qualified you for the role. The cover letter “builds the bridge” between your resume and the position description so that there is no miscommunication regarding your qualifications. For example, “My experience in ____ and ___ have directly prepared me for this role.” Good cover letters are tailored to the job you are applying to. Even if a cover leter is not required for a role, submitting one demonstrates your initiative and excitement about the role. To see an example cover letter, check out page 36-37 in the Career Guide.
Are internships important? Internships are great tools to help you achieve your goals for full-time employment. MIS students typically complete an internship the summer before their final year, but you are welcome to search for an internship earlier if you would like. While they are excellent tools, they are not prerequisites for the workforce. You can demonstrate your skills and experiences through other mediums, like class and/or independent projects, part-time jobs, student leadership, and more.
How can I meet with my career consultant for a one-on-one appointment? You can schedule an appointment with your career consultant by calling 706-254-3375 or logging in to Handshake. On Handshake, click on "Career Center" and then "Appointments."
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- UGA Mentor Program- Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. The program connects students to alumni mentors for personal and professional development
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Interstride- View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Handshake - UGA's platform for job/internship postings (Login with your UGA MyID and password)
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- Interstride - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Specialized - Check out Idealist for jobs in the Nonprofit sector and USAJobs for opportunities in the federal government.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS - American Society for Information Sciences • Association for Computing Machinery • Association for Information Systems • Association for Women in Computing • Computer Software/Systems Jobs • Information Systems Security Association • Institute for the Certification of Computer Professionals • Internet Society • Mass Technology Leadership Council • Software & Information Industry Association • Storage Networking Industry Association
LINKEDIN- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well. To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2022 Management Information Systems majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Aaron's||Data Analyst||Accenture||Tech Arch Analyst||Accenture||Tech Arch Delivery Analyst||Accenture||Technology Architect Delivery Analyst||Accenture||Technology Consulting Associate||Accenture||Consultant||Accenture||Consulting Analyst||Ad Victoriam Solutions||Business Development||Ad Victoriam Solutions||Salesforce Consultant||AIG||Technology Analyst||Amazon||Program Manager||Amazon||Business Analyst||Angel Oak Capital Advisors||Associate Vice President||Anthology||Service Associate||AT&T||Software Engineer||AT&T||Tech Development Program Engineer I||AT&T||Technical Business Manager||AT&T||Technical Business Manager||AT&T||Data Analyst||Avanade||Cloud Engineer||Bain & Company||Associate Consultant||Bain & Company||Associate Consultant||Bell Flight||Associate Information Technology Analyst||Berkadia||Rotational Analyst||Boost Lighting, Inc.||E-Commerce Coordinator||Capgemini||Business Analyst||Capgemini||Consultant||Capgemini||Consultant||Caterpillar Financial Services||Information Services Analyst||Chevron||IT Project Manager||Cisco||Business Analyst||Citibank||Investment Banking Analyst||Coalfire||Global Assurance Associate||Cognizant||Business Analyst||Cognizant||EAS Digital Technology Developer||Constanci||Implementation Consultant||Cox Communications||Data Analyst II||Credera||Technology Consultant||Deloitte||Strategy & Analytics - Analyst||Deloitte||Analyst||Deloitte||Analyst||Deloitte||Analyst||Deloitte||Cyber Risk Advisory Analyst||Deloitte||Solution Delivery Analyst||Deloitte||Risk & Financial Advisory Analyst||Deloitte||Finance and Risk Advisory Analyst||Deloitte||Service Delivery Analyst||Deloitte||Technology Analyst||Deloitte||Application and Program Analyst||Deloitte||Application and Program Analyst||Deloitte||Application Developer||Deloitte||Applications and Program Analyst||Deloitte||Marketing Data Analyst||Eli Lilly and Company||Sales Representative||Epic Systems||Technical Solutions Engineer||Equifax||Security & Compliance Project Coordinator||Equifax||Solutions Engineer||Experient Group||Consultant||EY||FSO Business Consultant||EY||FSO Technology Consultant||EY||Project Manager||EY||Cyber Security Consultant||EY||Technical Risk Consultant||EY||Cybersecurity Consultant||EY||Cybersecurity Consultant||EY||Cybersecurity Consultant - Staff||EY||Cybersecurity Technology Consultant||EY||Associate||EY||Associate||EY||Technology Consultant||EY||Technology Consultant||EY||Technology Consultant||EY||Tax Technology and Transformation Staff||EY||Technology Consultant||EY||Technology Consultant||EY||Technology Consultant||EY||Technology Consultant||EY||Technology Risk Consultant||EY||Deal Technology Associate||EY||Technology Risk Consultant||EY||Technology Risk Consultant||EY||Associate Analyst||EY||Consultant||EY||Consultant||EY||SSO Tech consultant||EY||Financial Services Technological Consultant||EY||Associate||Fidelity Investments||Fidelity Fund & Investment Operations Associate||FIS||Product Support Representative||Fiserv||Financial Analyst||Frazier & Deeter||Associate||Frazier & Deeter||Process Risk Associate||Freddie Mac||Single-Family Analyst||General Electric||Data Engineer||General Motors||Software Test Engineer||General Motors||Software Developer||Global Payments Inc.||Business Resilience Governance Intern||Grant Thornton LLP||Risk Advisory Associate||Grant Thornton LLP||Risk Advisory Associate||HR Path||Consultant||IBM||Data Scientist||Indigo Energy||Supply and Logistics Analyst||Johnson Lambert||Business Advisory Services Associate||KPMG||Advisory Associate||KPMG||Costumer Solutions Advisory Associate||KPMG||Advisory Associate||KPMG||Advisory Associate||KPMG||Advisory Associate||KPMG||Advisory Associate||KPMG||Advisory Associate - Cyber Security||KPMG||Cyber Security Advisory||KPMG||Cyber Security Services Associate||KPMG||Cybersecurity and Privacy Associate||KPMG||Cybersecurity and Privacy Associate||KPMG||Risk Advisory Associate||KPMG||Risk Advisory Associate||KPMG||Technology Assurance Associate||KPMG||Associate||KPMG||Associate||KPMG||Technology Assurance Audit Associate||KPMG||Tax Ignition - Data and Analytics Associate||KPMG||Data Analytics Associate||KPMG||Junior Advisor||KPMG||Workday Associate Consultant||KPMG||Associate Advisor||KPMG||Defense Associate||KPMG||Audit Associate||Manhattan Associates||Cloud Analyst||Manhattan Associates||Support Consultant||Manhattan Associates||Software implementation Consultant||Manhattan Associates||Software Consultant||Manhattan Associates||Software Consultant||Manhattan Associates||Software Consultant||McKinsey & Company||Business Analyst||McKinsey & Company||Capabilities & Insights Analyst||Mohawk Industries||SAP Cloud Analyst||NCR Corporation||Software Engineer||NCR Corporation||PS Technical Consultant||NCR Corporation||IT Business Analyst||NCR Corporation||Associate Business Consultant||NCR Corporation||Associate Business Consultant||NCR Corporation||Information Technology Business Analyst||Nike||Data Science Analyst||NTT Data||Business & Technology Strategy Consultant||NTT Data||Business and Technology Consultant||NTT Data||Business and Technology Consultant||NTT Data||Consultant||OneTrust||Associate Implementation Consultant||Opplane Inc.||Information Security Analyst||Oracle||Technical Consultant||Oracle||ISV Partner Consultant||Origami Risk||Business Systems Analyst||PConline365||Customer Service Representative||Perficient||Associate Business Consultant||Perficient||Associate Business Consultant||Perficient||Associate Business Consultant||Perficient||Associate Business Consultant||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Associate Technology Consultant||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Cyber Defense - Implementation & Operations||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Cybersecurity and Privacy Associate||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Cybersecurity and Privacy Associate||PricewaterhouseCoopers||M&A Advisory Associate||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Management Consultant||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Risk Assurance Associate||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Associate||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Associate||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Technology Consultant||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Data and Tech Associate||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Technology Consultant||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Associate - Digital Platforms||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Technology Consulting Associate||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Technology Consulting Associate||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Consulting Solutions Associate||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Associate Consultant||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Forensic Technology Associate||Protiviti||Internal Audit & Financial Advisory Consultant||Protiviti||Tech Consultant||Protiviti||Technology Consultant||Protiviti||Technology Consultant||Protiviti||Consultant||Protiviti||Consultant||QGenda||Product Analyst||Remotiv||Client Success Coordinator||RSM US LLP||Technology Advisory Consultant||RSM US LLP||Associate - Digital Platforms||RSM US LLP||Technology Consulting Associate||RSM US LLP||Technology Risk Consultant||RSM US LLP||Associate Consultant||Seller Accountant||Account Onboarding Manager||Snow Software||Technical Consultant||Synthetic Turf Resources||BI/Data Analyst||The Home Depot||Logistics Analyst||The Home Depot||Import Operations Analyst||Truist||Leadership Development Program Member||Trustpoint.One||Account Executive||TurnKey Compliance||IT Compliance Consultant||UKG||Integration Consultant||UKG||Solution Consultant||UPS||Assistant Specialist||W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc.||Business Process Analyst||Wonderkind||Social Media Marketing Manager||Workday||Associate Test Consultant|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2022 Management Information Systems majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Colorado State University||Computer Information Systems, MS||Georgia Institute of Technology||Computer Science, MS||Georgia Institute of Technology||Data Science and Analytics, MS||Georgia State University||Law, JD||University of Florida||Information Systems/Operations Management, Master's||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Law, JD/MBA||University of Georgia||Data Science and Business Analytics, MS||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Accounting, MAcc||University of Georgia||Accounting, MAcc||Wake Forest University||Business Analytics, MSBA|