What Can I Do With a Major In Marketing ?
UGA Specific Information for Marketing
Marketing focuses on the process by which consumer and business needs for products and services are anticipated and satisfied. Marketing stresses research and analysis to understand consumer behavior and then uses that analysis to design, price, promote and make available products or services that meet consumer demands. The discipline includes such topics as new product development, sales, pricing, advertising, distribution, etc., and can lead to careers in research, sales, advertising, retail management, merchandising/buying, product planning, logistical management, public relations, hospitality, consumer development, event planning, social media and many other fields. The Marketing program at UGA offers emphasis areas in Professional Selling (sales) or Digital Marketing, which may be obtained through completing specific coursework and internship requirements. Marketing majors may also pursue electives related to market research.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Marketing *
** Includes Self-Employed
- Camille Liverpool, Terry College Career Consultant (Management, Marketing, RMI & Real Estate)
- Jason Booth, Academic Advisor
- Dale Jacobs, Academic Advisor
- Marketing Major Homepage
- Terry College Admissions
- Pi Sigma Epsilon – UGA Chapter, National Sales & Marketing Fraternity
- American Marketing Association – UGA Chapter
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
POTENTIAL CAREER PATHS
- Sales & Sales Management - Plan, direct, or coordinate the actual distribution or movement of a product or service to the customer. Coordinate sales distribution by establishing sales territories, quotas, and goals and establish training programs for sales representatives. Analyze sales statistics gathered by staff to determine sales potential and inventory requirements and monitor the preferences of customers.
- Marketing Research - Research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas, or gather information to determine potential sales of a product or service, or create a marketing campaign. May gather information on competitors, prices, sales, and methods of marketing and distribution.
- Advertising & Promotion - Plan, direct, or coordinate advertising policies and programs or produce collateral materials, such as posters, contests, coupons, or give-aways, to create extra interest in the purchase of a product or service for a department, an entire organization, or on an account basis.
- Marketing Services - Plan, direct, or coordinate marketing policies and programs, such as determining the demand for products and services offered by a firm and its competitors, and identify potential customers. Develop pricing strategies with the goal of maximizing the firm's profits or share of the market while ensuring the firm's customers are satisfied. Oversee product development or monitor trends that indicate the need for new products and services.
- Digital Marketing - Employ search marketing tactics to increase visibility and engagement with content, products, or services in Internet-enabled devices or interfaces. Examine search query behaviors on general or specialty search engines or other Internet-based content. Analyze research, data, or technology to understand user intent and measure outcomes for ongoing optimization.
Develop a Focus
Since marketing is such a broad field, it is helpful for students in the program to develop a sense of focus for their job search. A candidate who targets a certain industry, role, or company usually has an easier time making themselves stand out from the crowd. Even knowing a specific city or location can help you get started on narrowing down the options!
Land an Internship
There are many types of marketing jobs, but some of the best and most desirable jobs for college graduates are highly competitive. For that reason, marketing majors should seek to complete one or more internships during their time in college. Not only do internships give you valuable experience and make you more competitive, but many companies now use internships as one of their primary methods for deciding who to hire.
A huge number of entry-level opportunities within marketing are sales positions. While many students still picture the stereotype of the door-to-door salesperson, the reality is often very different. Some positions do involve cold-calling, but other sales roles involve handling major business accounts and building or maintaining important relationships. Consider gaining some sales experience in your first internship or full-time position – the opportunities are plentiful, the experience transfers well into other areas of marketing, and the earning potential is often considerable.
Join a marketing-specific organization such as Pi Sigma Epsilon or the American Marketing Association, or take on marketing-related roles in a sorority/fraternity or other group. Pursue leadership positions to make yourself more competitive and keep your resume updated.
The Marketing Department, Terry College and the UGA Career Center all offer extensive ways for you to gain valuable experience. Attend as many networking events as possible, including alumni panels, information sessions or career fairs. Even if you’re not looking for a job yet, these opportunities can help you define your professional goals. Create an account on LinkedIn and start connecting with everyone you meet during your time in college. Finally, visit the Career Center early to start developing a plan for yourself and honing your skills in areas like resume-writing, interviewing, and more!
Follow specific jobs Twitter accounts. Do a quick search for "inbound marketing jobs" or "marketing jobs" and you'll come across tons of Twitter accounts whose sole job is to tweet out open roles in our fine industry. Follow specific jobs hashtags. Hashtags like #marketingjobs or #jobsearch are good places to periodically check in for recent opportunities.Follow the companies you want to work for, and the people that work there.
COMPANY & SALARY RESEARCH
- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords.
- Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well.
- Use the LinkedIn Alumni Tool to connect with graduates of UGA.
- To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- Interstride-View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Glassdoor - Glassdoor is a free jobs and career community that offers the world an inside look at jobs and companies. What sets us apart is our "employee generated content" – anonymous salaries, company reviews, interview questions, and more – all posted by employees, job seekers, and sometimes the companies themselves. Now with nearly 3 million salaries and reviews, you have all the information you might need to make your next career decision.
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Terry Connect - Terry's online mentorship platform. By creating an online profile during the active enrollment period (mid-late August) students will be matched with a mentor in their prospective industry for advice on job/internship searches, interview skills, and professional development. Students are also able to engage with alumni and each other on discussion boards and in special interest groups.
- MBA Review- The MBA provides information on getting a Masters in Business Administration including career guides, outlook, salaries, and lengths of programs.
- CareerSearch (Research employers by location and/or industry)
- Handshake (UGA's online internship and job board) *login with your UGA MyID and password
- Interstride (international jobs)
- Idealist (nonprofit jobs)
- USAJobs (federal jobs)
- LinkedIn Job Board
- Simply Hired
MAJOR/CAREER-SPECIFIC JOB BOARDS:
- American Marketing Association (Marketing Jobs and Internships)
- TalentZoo.com (Jobs in advertising, marketing, creative, design, new media and digital industries)
- SalesGravy.com (Sales Jobs)
- SalesJobs.com (Sales Jobs)
- SalesHeads.com (Sales Jobs)
- AA-ISP (Inside Sales Jobs)
- Mashable Job Board (Jobs in social media, marketing, technology, and business)
- Sales and Marketing Classifieds (Sales & Marketing Jobs)
- Public Relations Society of America (Public Relations Jobs)
- Teamwork Online (Sports Careers)
- Follow specific jobs Twitter accounts. Do a quick search for "inbound marketing jobs" or "marketing jobs" and you'll come across tons of Twitter accounts whose sole job is to tweet out open roles in our fine industry.
Follow specific jobs hashtags. You know what else you might find when you conduct that search? Hashtags associated with those jobs. Hashtags like #marketingjobs or #jobsearch are good places to periodically check in for recent opportunities.
Follow the companies you want to work for, and the people that work there.Look for job postings that come from them, particularly if these companies have a referral bonus. At HubSpot, for instance, many employees take it upon themselves to tweet out new jobs because, if they bring in a new hire (yes, even from Twitter), there's a nice referral bonus at the end of the tunnel!
*Note: Many professional associations (including PRSA and AMA) have local chapters with online job boards, information, and event calendars. Atlanta’s AMA chapter is one example. If you are targeting a specific location, consider using this strategy for your job search!
- American Marketing Association
- American Advertising Federation
- Market Research Association (Insights Association)
- National Retail Federation
- Atlanta Interactive Marketing Association
- LinkedIn Group: Inbound Marketers
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|360i||Associate Media Manager, Junior Associate||Accenture||Technology Associate||Ad Victoriam Solutions||Salesforce Analyst||Adaptive Sports Center||Winter Marketing||ADAPTURE||Sales Development Representative||Aderant||Marketing Operations Analyst||Adtechnacity||Marketing Analyst||Alight Solutions||Consultant||Alliance Marketing Partners||Assistant Social Media Coordinator||Allied Global Marketing||Public Relations Coordinator||Allwrite Advertising & Publishing||Marketing Research Intern||Anheuser-Busch||Commercial Trainee Program||Apex Systems||Inventory and Purchasing Controller||Applied Software||Sales Development Representative||AppVault||Account Executive||Arnall Golden Gregory||Project Case Assistant||AT&T||Account Representative, B2B Sales Rep, Client Solutions Executive, Technology Development Programmer||Atlanta Hawks||Membership Associate||Atlanticus||Marketing Coordinator||Beamex||Marketing Assistant||Becton Dickinson||Sales Training Intern||Beecher Carlson||Risk Analyst||Belair Building Supply||Vice President||Body Symmetry MD||Laser Technician||Breakthru Beverage Group||Sales Representative||Brooksource||Account Executive||Brown Bag Marketing||Client Services Intern||Buckhead Church||Guest Services Coordinator||Campbell Soup Company||Market Sales Leader||Carat USA||Assistant Media Planner||Carl Vinson Institute of Government||Assistant Coordinator||Carter's, Inc.||Assistant Merchant||Catamount Constructors Inc.||Preconstruction Coordinator||CBRE||Research Analyst||Char-Broil||Digital Marketing Coordinator||Chemistry||Associate Media Planner/Buyer||Chicago Cubs||Inside Sales Representative||Chick-fil-A||LAUNCH Leadership Development Program Candidate, Launch Program, Leadership Development Program, LOFT Participant||Chicory||Assistant Account Manager||Claims||Management Development Program||Clark Creative Communications||Marketing Assistant||CNN||Intern||Coldwell Banker Upchurch Realty||Realtor||Collabera||Associate Account Manager||College Football Hall of Fame||Marketing Intern||Comcast||Corporate Communications Coordinator||Cox Communications||LEAD Program Project Management Specialist, Project Management Specialist||Cox Media Group||Client Services Coordinator||Coyote Logistics||Account Manager||Crossmark||Insights Analyst||Customer Management Practice||Marketing Assistant||Data Science||Recruiter||Deeds Creative||Web Design and CMS Intern||Deloitte||Marketing Associate, Strategy & Operations Consulting Analyst||Demandbase||Sales Development Representative||Designsensory||Research Associate||Digital Additive||Account Coordinator||Discovery, Inc.||Sales Assistant||Dixon Hughes Goodman||Risk Advisory Consultant||Docebo||Outbound Business Development Representative||Dominion Payroll||Sales Development Representative||Dress Up Corporation||Social Media Intern||Droga5||Data Strategy Intern||E2open||Marketing Coordinator||EF Educational Tours||Tour Consultant||El Barrio||Server||Eli Lilly and Company||NeuroScience Sales Rep, Sales Representative||Epsten Group||Marketing Coordinator||Ernst & Young||Technology Advisor Staff||FieldEdge||Sales Development Representative||FormFree||Marketing Intern||FortisPay Chiropractic||Social Media Content Creator||Freight Logistics Services||Marketing Manager||Freight Waves||Writer||Full Picture||Account Coordinator||Gallagher||Producer Associate||Gartner||Account Management Associate||GEICO||Management Development Program, Service||Georgia Aquarium||Digital Marketing Coordinator||Georgia-Pacific||Inside Sales Representative, JumpStart Associate||Gerson Lehrman Group||Client Solutions Associate||GetBrunch!||Social Media Marketing Specialist||Associate Account Strategist, Staffing Services Associate||Granite Telecommunications||Regional Account Manager||Havas Media Group||Associate, Digital Investments||Hiscox||Underwriting Graduate Program||iFolio||Digital Manager||Inbound Studio LLC||Inbound Marketing Specialist||Invisors LLC||Consultant||Jackson & Coker||Client Search Consultant||JJ Haines||Marketing Specialist||JLL||Analyst||Jonny On It||Marketing Content Manager||Juvare||Digital Marketing Analyst||Kansas City Chiefs||Corporate Partnerships Intern||Keyston Bros.||Sample Project Manager||KMS Technology, Inc.||Marketing Specialist||KORE Wireless||Sales Development Representative||Lead Horse Marketing||Media Associate||Associate - Business Leadership Progam, Global Sales, Business Leadership Program Associate||LocumTenens.com||Account Representative||Logistics Made Simple Inc.||Operations Assistant||Louisiana-Pacific Corporation||Market Development Representative||Marathon Petroleum||Marketing Professional||Marketing Eye||Marketing Intern||Marsden Marketing||Marketing Intern||McGarryBowen||Account Management Intern||Meltwater||Sales Consultant||Mercer||Consultant||MERGE Atlanta||Account Coordinator||Merkle/RKG||SEM Analyst||Michael and Paula Hyman Showroom, AmericasMart||Wholesale Sales Associate||MillerCoors||Sales Representative||Mindshare||Associate Digital Investment||Multiview||Senior Marketing Consultant||Mutual of Omaha||Employee Benefits Sales Representative||National Distributing Company||Sales Representative, Sales Trainee||NCR||Inside Sales Representative, Product Marketing Specialist, Sales Specialist||Novatech, Inc.||Business Technology Advisor||OnPay||Marketing Associate||Onward Search||Recruitment Coordinator||Oracle||Business Development Consultant, Business Development Representative, Customer Engagement, Not Specified, SMB Cloud Consultant, Solutions Engineer||Osprey Corporation||Accounting Associate||Party Planners West, Inc.||Assistant Event Coordinator||PepsiCo||Sales Management Associate||PharmD on Demand||Account Manager||Phase 3 Marketing and Communications||Marketing Coordinator||Pier 1||Digital Marketing Specialist||Popular Marketing||Network Coordinator||Procter and Gamble||Costco Business Center Account Manager||Prolifik Marketing||Content Creator||Publicis Media||Assistant Media Manager||PwC||Risk Assurance Associate||PYRO||Brand Manager||Qualtrics||Sales Development Representative||Republic Airways||Flight Attendant||Republic National Distributing Company||Sales Representative||Rigor||Sales Development Representative||Rosendin||Marketing Coordinator||Ryan LLC||Commercial Property Tax Consultant||Salesforce||Business Development Advocate, Sales Development Representative||SalesLoft||Communications Intern, Customer Success Specialist||SC Johnson||Associate Sales Analyst||Schreiber Foods||Production Team Advisor||Scientific Games||Marketing Intern||Search Discovery||Analyst||See.Spark.Go||Digital Coordinator||SEOteric||Marketing Coordinator||SESAC||Licensing Account Representative||Sherwin-Williams||Management Trainee||SingleOps||Marketing Intern||Sixstepsrecords||Record Label Resident||Skillshot Media||Social Media Marketing & Event Planning||Smith & Nephew||Associate Sales Representative||Soliant Health||Account Executive||Speed Patrol||Product Manager||State Farm||Account Manager||Stratasan||Operations Coordinator||Synergis||Associate Recruiter||SYNNEX Corporation||Business Development Representative||Syrup||Content Intern||Teach For America||Teach For America Corps Member||Techtronic Industries||Field Sales and Marketing Representative, Sales and Marketing Representative||Techwood Digital||SEO Technical Analyst||Telenet||Lead Generator||Tennessee Titans||Mobile Ticketing Specialist||The Backpack Project||Vice President of Marketing||The Estee Lauder Companies Inc.||Administrative Assistant||The Hanna Group Real Estate||Marketing Project Coordinator||The Home Depot||Brand Advocate Analyst, Merchandise Planner Analyst, Supply Chain Analyst||The Icebox Cool Stuff||Marketing and Communications Coordinator||The Medicine Cabinet Pharmacy||Pharmacy Technician||The Read Law Firm P.C||Intern||The Tennessee Aquarium||Event Planner||Timberland||Global Brand Marketing Internship||Total Quality Logistics||Logistics Account Executive||Toyota Motor Sales||Management Trainee||Transamerica Corporation||Senior Marketing Associate||TransPerfect||Account Manager||Triage Consulting Group||Associate Consultant||TTI Electronics||Event Marketing Specialist||U.S. Lumber Group||Operations Analyst||U.S.A. Baseball||Baseball Operations Intern (12U National Team)||UCB||Neurology Associate||Universal Music Group||Talent Brand Social Media||University of Georgia||Not Specified - School of Law||UPS||Financial Analyst||USI Insurance||Program Associate||Vail Resorts||1st Mate||Visiture||Marketing Intern||VMware||Junior Data Analyst||Vorsight||Sales Development Associate||Wake Forest University||Fellow||Wendover Art Group||Art Consultant||WeWork||Community Associate||Whirlpool Corporation||Sales Execution Representative||Williams Learning Solutions||Marketing Intern||Zaxby's Franchising LLC||CRM Support Coordinator||Zenith||Media Trainee||Zoom Video Communications||Online Account Executive|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Marketing - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|Duke University||Quantitative Management (Business Analytics), MQM||Florida State University||Business Administration, MBA||Full-time Training in Anaheim (FTTA)||Theology, Not Specified||Georgia State University||Law, JD||IDC Herzilya||Business Administration, MBA||Pepperdine University||Law, JD||The University of British Columbia||Sustainability, Not Specified||The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill||Law, JD||The University of Tennessee, Knoxville||Law, JD||University of California, Berkeley||Post-Baccalaureate Health Professions Program, PBACC||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA; Education, MEd; Law, JD; Marketing Research, MMR||University of Virginia||Global Commerce, MS|