What Can I Do With a Major In Marketing ?
UGA Specific Information for Marketing
Marketing focuses on the process by which consumer and business needs for products and services are anticipated and satisfied. Marketing stresses research and analysis to understand consumer behavior and then uses that analysis to design, price, promote and make available products or services that meet consumer demands. The discipline includes such topics as new product development, sales, pricing, advertising, distribution, etc., and can lead to careers in research, sales, advertising, retail management, merchandising/buying, product planning, logistical management, public relations, hospitality, consumer development, event planning, social media and many other fields. The Marketing program at UGA offers emphasis areas in Professional Selling (sales) or Digital Marketing, which may be obtained through completing specific coursework and internship requirements. Marketing majors may also pursue electives related to market research.
Class of 2022 Career Outcomes for Marketing *
** Includes Self-Employed
- Umesh Patel, Terry College Career Consultant (Management, Marketing, RMI & Real Estate)
- Jason Booth, Academic Advisor
- Erik Donofrio, Academic Advisor
- Zach Thrift, Academic Advisor
- Marketing Major Homepage
- Terry College Admissions
- Pi Sigma Epsilon – UGA Chapter, National Sales & Marketing Fraternity
- American Marketing Association – UGA Chapter
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
POTENTIAL CAREER PATHS
- Sales & Sales Management - Plan, direct, or coordinate the actual distribution or movement of a product or service to the customer. Coordinate sales distribution by establishing sales territories, quotas, and goals and establish training programs for sales representatives. Analyze sales statistics gathered by staff to determine sales potential and inventory requirements and monitor the preferences of customers.
- Marketing Research - Research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas, or gather information to determine potential sales of a product or service, or create a marketing campaign. May gather information on competitors, prices, sales, and methods of marketing and distribution.
- Advertising & Promotion - Plan, direct, or coordinate advertising policies and programs or produce collateral materials, such as posters, contests, coupons, or give-aways, to create extra interest in the purchase of a product or service for a department, an entire organization, or on an account basis.
- Marketing Services - Plan, direct, or coordinate marketing policies and programs, such as determining the demand for products and services offered by a firm and its competitors, and identify potential customers. Develop pricing strategies with the goal of maximizing the firm's profits or share of the market while ensuring the firm's customers are satisfied. Oversee product development or monitor trends that indicate the need for new products and services.
- Digital Marketing - Employ search marketing tactics to increase visibility and engagement with content, products, or services in Internet-enabled devices or interfaces. Examine search query behaviors on general or specialty search engines or other Internet-based content. Analyze research, data, or technology to understand user intent and measure outcomes for ongoing optimization.
Develop a Focus
Since marketing is such a broad field, it is helpful for students in the program to develop a sense of focus for their job search. A candidate who targets a certain industry, role, or company usually has an easier time making themselves stand out from the crowd. Even knowing a specific city or location can help you get started on narrowing down the options!
Land an Internship
There are many types of marketing jobs, but some of the best and most desirable jobs for college graduates are highly competitive. For that reason, marketing majors should seek to complete one or more internships during their time in college. Not only do internships give you valuable experience and make you more competitive, but many companies now use internships as one of their primary methods for deciding who to hire.
A huge number of entry-level opportunities within marketing are sales positions. While many students still picture the stereotype of the door-to-door salesperson, the reality is often very different. Some positions do involve cold-calling, but other sales roles involve handling major business accounts and building or maintaining important relationships. Consider gaining some sales experience in your first internship or full-time position – the opportunities are plentiful, the experience transfers well into other areas of marketing, and the earning potential is often considerable.
Join a marketing-specific organization such as Pi Sigma Epsilon or the American Marketing Association, or take on marketing-related roles in a sorority/fraternity or other group. Pursue leadership positions to make yourself more competitive and keep your resume updated.
The Marketing Department, Terry College and the UGA Career Center all offer extensive ways for you to gain valuable experience. Attend as many networking events as possible, including alumni panels, information sessions or career fairs. Even if you’re not looking for a job yet, these opportunities can help you define your professional goals. Create an account on LinkedIn and start connecting with everyone you meet during your time in college. Finally, visit the Career Center early to start developing a plan for yourself and honing your skills in areas like resume-writing, interviewing, and more!
Follow specific jobs Twitter accounts. Do a quick search for "inbound marketing jobs" or "marketing jobs" and you'll come across tons of Twitter accounts whose sole job is to tweet out open roles in our fine industry. Follow specific jobs hashtags. Hashtags like #marketingjobs or #jobsearch are good places to periodically check in for recent opportunities.Follow the companies you want to work for, and the people that work there.
COMPANY & SALARY RESEARCH
- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords.
- Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well.
- Use the LinkedIn Alumni Tool to connect with graduates of UGA.
- To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- Interstride-View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Glassdoor - Glassdoor is a free jobs and career community that offers the world an inside look at jobs and companies. What sets us apart is our "employee generated content" – anonymous salaries, company reviews, interview questions, and more – all posted by employees, job seekers, and sometimes the companies themselves. Now with nearly 3 million salaries and reviews, you have all the information you might need to make your next career decision.
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Terry Connect - Terry's online mentorship platform. By creating an online profile during the active enrollment period (mid-late August) students will be matched with a mentor in their prospective industry for advice on job/internship searches, interview skills, and professional development. Students are also able to engage with alumni and each other on discussion boards and in special interest groups.
- MBA Review- The MBA provides information on getting a Masters in Business Administration including career guides, outlook, salaries, and lengths of programs.
- CareerSearch (Research employers by location and/or industry)
- Handshake (UGA's online internship and job board) *login with your UGA MyID and password
- Interstride (international jobs)
- Idealist (nonprofit jobs)
- USAJobs (federal jobs)
- LinkedIn Job Board
- Simply Hired
MAJOR/CAREER-SPECIFIC JOB BOARDS:
- American Marketing Association (Marketing Jobs and Internships)
- TalentZoo.com (Jobs in advertising, marketing, creative, design, new media and digital industries)
- SalesGravy.com (Sales Jobs)
- SalesJobs.com (Sales Jobs)
- SalesHeads.com (Sales Jobs)
- AA-ISP (Inside Sales Jobs)
- Mashable Job Board (Jobs in social media, marketing, technology, and business)
- Sales and Marketing Classifieds (Sales & Marketing Jobs)
- Public Relations Society of America (Public Relations Jobs)
- Teamwork Online (Sports Careers)
- Follow specific jobs Twitter accounts. Do a quick search for "inbound marketing jobs" or "marketing jobs" and you'll come across tons of Twitter accounts whose sole job is to tweet out open roles in our fine industry.
Follow specific jobs hashtags. You know what else you might find when you conduct that search? Hashtags associated with those jobs. Hashtags like #marketingjobs or #jobsearch are good places to periodically check in for recent opportunities.
Follow the companies you want to work for, and the people that work there.Look for job postings that come from them, particularly if these companies have a referral bonus. At HubSpot, for instance, many employees take it upon themselves to tweet out new jobs because, if they bring in a new hire (yes, even from Twitter), there's a nice referral bonus at the end of the tunnel!
*Note: Many professional associations (including PRSA and AMA) have local chapters with online job boards, information, and event calendars. Atlanta’s AMA chapter is one example. If you are targeting a specific location, consider using this strategy for your job search!
- American Marketing Association
- American Advertising Federation
- Market Research Association (Insights Association)
- National Retail Federation
- Atlanta Interactive Marketing Association
- LinkedIn Group: Inbound Marketers
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2022 Marketing majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|22Squared, Inc.||Field Assistant Account Executive||365 Degree Total Marketing||Digital Marketing Strategist||49 Financial||Financial Professional||Aaron's||Digital Marketing Specialist||Academy of Aviation||International Student Recruiter Manager||Accenture||Analyst||Accenture||Cloud First Sales Specialist||Accenture||Snapchat Ads Specialist, Growing SMBs||Accenture||Snapchat Ads Specialist, Growing SMBs||Accenture||Sales Development Representative||Ad Victoriam Solutions||Business Development Representative||Adcock Furniture & Design||Senior Merchandising Coordinator||Adobe||Campaign Marketing Associate||Aldridge Pite Hann, LLP||Legal Assistant||Alogent||Digital Marketing Communications Specialist||Anheuser-Busch||Commercial Trainee||Arkansas State University||Assistant Director of Athletic Equipment Operations||Arketi Group||Account Coordinator||AT&T||Client Solutions Executive||Atlanta Hawks||Membership Associate||AVOXI||Global Growth Specialist||Barking Owl Sound||Junior Producer and Client Services Associate||Beech Haven Church||Communications Coordinator||Belk||Assistant Planner||BooneOakley||Digital/Social Coordinator||Boro Belles & Babes||Social Media Marketing and Content Coordinator||Burlington Stores, Inc.||Assistant Buyer||CA Ventures||Leasing and Marketing Manager||CargoBarn||Inside Sales Representative||Carter's, Inc.||Supply Chain Analyst||Chewy||Inside Sales Representative||Chick-fil-A||Sales and Catering Coordinator||Chick-fil-A||Marketing Director||Collabera Inc.||Associate Account Manager||Compassion International||Supporter Experience Intern||Connect Meetings||Event Coordinator||Country Fried Creative||Digital Marketing Coordinator||Cox Communications||Digital Media Strategist||Cox Communications||Internal Consultant||Deloitte||Shine Marketing Associate||Deloitte||Application and Program Analyst||Deloitte||Associate||Deloitte||Marketing Data Analyst||Delta Air Lines||Marketing Analyst||Detroit Tigers||Promotions and Special Events Assistant||E & J Gallow Winery||Sales Representative||E & J Gallow Winery||Sales Representative||E & J Gallow Winery||Marketing Assistant||Eastdil Secured||Analyst||Eclectic Artists||Administrative and Booking Agent Assistant||Elise Artisan Nuts LLC||Social Media Marketing Manager||Engine Shop Agency||Account Associate||EY||Consultant||FedEx Services||Marketing Specialist||FieldRoutes||Email Marketing Specialist||Fisher Investments||Account Executive||Fistful of Cinema||Producer||Formation Advertising||Marketing Coordinator||Gartner Inc.||Account Manager||Georgia Power Company||Marketing Analyst||Georgia-Pacific LLC||Brand Associate, Dixie||Georgia-Pacific LLC||Jumpstart Customer Associate||GoFan||Sales Development Representative||Granite Telecommunications||National Account Manager||Grayscale||Marketing Coordinator||Greenberg Traurig, LLP||Marketing Assistant||HelpSystems||Marketing Specialist||Hines||Investment Management Analyst||Hormel Foods||Consumer Product Sales Representative||Hormel Foods||Entry Level Consumer Product Sales||Hormel Foods||Foodservice Sales Representative||ICM Partners||Departmental Assistant to Directors/Literary||iHeartMedia||Inside Sales Account Executive||Inspire Brands||Coordinator of Media||Integrated Medical Systems, Inc.||Territory Associate||Interscope Records||Content & Creators Coordinator||Jackson & Coker||Position Recruiter||Johnson Brothers Mutual Distributing Company||Sales Consultant||Kimberly-Clark||Financial Analyst||KPITarget||Digital Marketing Manager||KPMG||Business Development Associate||KPMG||Customer Solutions Associate||Là Fuori||Corporate Sales and Customer Service Representatives||Liberty Mutual Insurance||Underwriter Trainee||Lincoln Internship||Analyst||Business Leadership Program Associate||Mad Marketing House||Creative Specialist||ManPower Group||Experiential Marketing Professional||MATT GOTTSCHALK LIMITED||Tax Associate||Medline||Sales Representative||Michael Kors||E-Commerce Coordinator||Microchip Technology Inc.||Client Engagement Manager||Mimaki||Marketing Specialist||Mindshare||Investment Specialist||Mizuno||Marketing Specialist||ModusMark||Content Writer - Account Coordinator||Momentum Telecom||Marketing Coordinator||Moxie||Assistant Manager||NAPA Auto Parts||Category Activation Specialist||National Cash Register||Associate Business Consultant||NCR Corporation||Marketing Specialist||NCR Corporation||Marketing Specialist||NCR Corporation||Sales Development Representative||NCR Corporation||Product Marketing Analyst||Newell Brands||Assistant Brand Manager||Norfolk Southern||Revenue Account Analyst||NPT Data||Consultant||Oracle||Cloud applications consultant||Oracle||Cloud Technology Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||OTR Capital||Account Specialist||PagerDuty||Business Development Representative||Paycom||Sales Representative||PepsiCo, Inc||Sales Management Associate||PepsiCo, Inc||Sales Management Associate||Perfect Word Printing||Production Manager||PGIM||Investment Analyst||PNC||Corporate & Institutional Banking Analyst||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Technology Consultant||Prime Technical Services Inc.||Sales Delivery Specialist||PrizePicks||Fraud Analyst||Publicis Media UNIT3C||Associate Media Manager||Publicis Media UNIT3C||Associate Media Manager||Publicis Sapient||Product Manager||Quote Wizard||Junior Marketing Agent||Real Estate||President||Reibus International, Inc.||Marketing & Communications Specialist||Republic National Distributing Company||Sales Representative||RSM US LLP||Technology Advisory Consultant||RSM US LLP||Technology Consulting Associate||Saatchi & Saatchi Wellness||Associate Strategist||Salesforce||Business Development Associate||Saliger Real Estate Company||Marketing Specialist||Search Discovery, Inc.||Digital Marketing Associate||See.Spark.Go||Graphic Design Intern||See.Spark.Go||Public Relations and Social Media Coordinator||Southsource Advisors||Associate||Stephen Gould||Account Executive||Syfan Logistics||Logistics Coordinator||Synergis||Technical Recruiter||Techtronic Industries - TTI||Event Marketing Specialist||Techtronic Industries - TTI||Event Marketing Specialist||Techtronic Industries - TTI||Field Sales Representative||Textron||Demonstration Pilot||Textron||Marketing Associate||The Conference Board||Manager of Executive Programs||The Home Depot||Merchandise Planner||The Home Depot||Human Resources Analyst||The Home Depot||Digital Content Operations Analyst||The Intersect Group||Recruiter||The Yellowstone Club||Staff||TOCA Football||Trainer||Trees for Tuition, LLC.||Co-Owner||Uber||Professional Development Program Associate||UberPrints||Customer Service Representative||UCB||Marketing Associate||Uline||Account Representative||Verint Systems||Marketing Coordinator||Vert Digital||Paid Media Coordinator||VMLY&R||Associate, Strategy & Insights||W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc.||Business Process Analyst||Young Life||Staff Associate||Zenith Media||Associate Negotiator|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2022 Marketing majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Augusta University||Clinical Nurse Leader, MSN/CNL||Belmont University||Law, Degree Not Specified||Georgetown University||German and European Studies, Degree Not Specified||Georgia State University||Occupational Therapy, DOT||New York University||Integrated Marketing, Degree Not Specified||Savannah College of Art and Design||Design Management, MFA||University of Georgia||Program Not Specified, MSBAP||University of Georgia||Pre Pro Speech Lang Path, Certificate||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Journalism and Mass Comm, Master's||University of Georgia||Kinesiology, Master's||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Marketing Research, Master's||University of Georgia||Marketing Research, Master's||University of Georgia||Marketing Research, Master's||University of Georgia||Marketing Research, Master's||University of Georgia||Marketing Research, Master's||University of Georgia||Marketing Research, Master's||University of Georgia||Marketing Research, Master's||University of Kentucky||Law, JD||University of Miami||Law, JD||University of Mississippi||Business Leadership, Degree Not Specified||University of Oregon||Innovation and Entrepreneurship, MBA||University of San Francisco||Law, Degree Not Specified||Vanderbilt University||Marketing, MMR|