What Can I Do With a Major In Marketing ?
UGA Specific Information for Marketing<! -- begin major description -->
Marketing focuses on the process by which consumer and business needs for products and services are anticipated and satisfied. Marketing stresses research and analysis to understand consumer behavior and then uses that analysis to design, price, promote and make available products or services that meet consumer demands. The discipline includes such topics as new product development, sales, pricing, advertising, distribution, etc., and can lead to careers in research, sales, advertising, retail management, merchandising/buying, product planning, logistical management, public relations, hospitality, consumer development, event planning, social media and many other fields. The Marketing program at UGA offers emphasis areas in Professional Selling (sales) or Digital Marketing, which may be obtained through completing specific coursework and internship requirements. Marketing majors may also pursue electives related to market research.<! -- end major description -->
Class of 2021 Career Outcomes for Marketing *
** Includes Self-Employed
<! -- begin campus resources -->
- Umesh Patel, Terry College Career Consultant (Management, Marketing, RMI & Real Estate)
- Jason Booth, Academic Advisor
- Erik Donofrio, Academic Advisor
- Zach Thrift, Academic Advisor
- Marketing Major Homepage
- Terry College Admissions
- Pi Sigma Epsilon – UGA Chapter, National Sales & Marketing Fraternity
- American Marketing Association – UGA Chapter
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
<! -- begin additional UGA Career Center recommendations -->
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
POTENTIAL CAREER PATHS
- Sales & Sales Management - Plan, direct, or coordinate the actual distribution or movement of a product or service to the customer. Coordinate sales distribution by establishing sales territories, quotas, and goals and establish training programs for sales representatives. Analyze sales statistics gathered by staff to determine sales potential and inventory requirements and monitor the preferences of customers.
- Marketing Research - Research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas, or gather information to determine potential sales of a product or service, or create a marketing campaign. May gather information on competitors, prices, sales, and methods of marketing and distribution.
- Advertising & Promotion - Plan, direct, or coordinate advertising policies and programs or produce collateral materials, such as posters, contests, coupons, or give-aways, to create extra interest in the purchase of a product or service for a department, an entire organization, or on an account basis.
- Marketing Services - Plan, direct, or coordinate marketing policies and programs, such as determining the demand for products and services offered by a firm and its competitors, and identify potential customers. Develop pricing strategies with the goal of maximizing the firm's profits or share of the market while ensuring the firm's customers are satisfied. Oversee product development or monitor trends that indicate the need for new products and services.
- Digital Marketing - Employ search marketing tactics to increase visibility and engagement with content, products, or services in Internet-enabled devices or interfaces. Examine search query behaviors on general or specialty search engines or other Internet-based content. Analyze research, data, or technology to understand user intent and measure outcomes for ongoing optimization.
Develop a Focus
Since marketing is such a broad field, it is helpful for students in the program to develop a sense of focus for their job search. A candidate who targets a certain industry, role, or company usually has an easier time making themselves stand out from the crowd. Even knowing a specific city or location can help you get started on narrowing down the options!
Land an Internship
There are many types of marketing jobs, but some of the best and most desirable jobs for college graduates are highly competitive. For that reason, marketing majors should seek to complete one or more internships during their time in college. Not only do internships give you valuable experience and make you more competitive, but many companies now use internships as one of their primary methods for deciding who to hire.
A huge number of entry-level opportunities within marketing are sales positions. While many students still picture the stereotype of the door-to-door salesperson, the reality is often very different. Some positions do involve cold-calling, but other sales roles involve handling major business accounts and building or maintaining important relationships. Consider gaining some sales experience in your first internship or full-time position – the opportunities are plentiful, the experience transfers well into other areas of marketing, and the earning potential is often considerable.
Join a marketing-specific organization such as Pi Sigma Epsilon or the American Marketing Association, or take on marketing-related roles in a sorority/fraternity or other group. Pursue leadership positions to make yourself more competitive and keep your resume updated.
The Marketing Department, Terry College and the UGA Career Center all offer extensive ways for you to gain valuable experience. Attend as many networking events as possible, including alumni panels, information sessions or career fairs. Even if you’re not looking for a job yet, these opportunities can help you define your professional goals. Create an account on LinkedIn and start connecting with everyone you meet during your time in college. Finally, visit the Career Center early to start developing a plan for yourself and honing your skills in areas like resume-writing, interviewing, and more!
Follow specific jobs Twitter accounts. Do a quick search for "inbound marketing jobs" or "marketing jobs" and you'll come across tons of Twitter accounts whose sole job is to tweet out open roles in our fine industry. Follow specific jobs hashtags. Hashtags like #marketingjobs or #jobsearch are good places to periodically check in for recent opportunities.Follow the companies you want to work for, and the people that work there.
COMPANY & SALARY RESEARCH
- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords.
- Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well.
- Use the LinkedIn Alumni Tool to connect with graduates of UGA.
- To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- Interstride-View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Glassdoor - Glassdoor is a free jobs and career community that offers the world an inside look at jobs and companies. What sets us apart is our "employee generated content" – anonymous salaries, company reviews, interview questions, and more – all posted by employees, job seekers, and sometimes the companies themselves. Now with nearly 3 million salaries and reviews, you have all the information you might need to make your next career decision.
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Terry Connect - Terry's online mentorship platform. By creating an online profile during the active enrollment period (mid-late August) students will be matched with a mentor in their prospective industry for advice on job/internship searches, interview skills, and professional development. Students are also able to engage with alumni and each other on discussion boards and in special interest groups.
- MBA Review- The MBA provides information on getting a Masters in Business Administration including career guides, outlook, salaries, and lengths of programs.
- CareerSearch (Research employers by location and/or industry)
- Handshake (UGA's online internship and job board) *login with your UGA MyID and password
- Interstride (international jobs)
- Idealist (nonprofit jobs)
- USAJobs (federal jobs)
- LinkedIn Job Board
- Simply Hired
MAJOR/CAREER-SPECIFIC JOB BOARDS:
- American Marketing Association (Marketing Jobs and Internships)
- TalentZoo.com (Jobs in advertising, marketing, creative, design, new media and digital industries)
- SalesGravy.com (Sales Jobs)
- SalesJobs.com (Sales Jobs)
- SalesHeads.com (Sales Jobs)
- AA-ISP (Inside Sales Jobs)
- Mashable Job Board (Jobs in social media, marketing, technology, and business)
- Sales and Marketing Classifieds (Sales & Marketing Jobs)
- Public Relations Society of America (Public Relations Jobs)
- Teamwork Online (Sports Careers)
- Follow specific jobs Twitter accounts. Do a quick search for "inbound marketing jobs" or "marketing jobs" and you'll come across tons of Twitter accounts whose sole job is to tweet out open roles in our fine industry.
Follow specific jobs hashtags. You know what else you might find when you conduct that search? Hashtags associated with those jobs. Hashtags like #marketingjobs or #jobsearch are good places to periodically check in for recent opportunities.
Follow the companies you want to work for, and the people that work there.Look for job postings that come from them, particularly if these companies have a referral bonus. At HubSpot, for instance, many employees take it upon themselves to tweet out new jobs because, if they bring in a new hire (yes, even from Twitter), there's a nice referral bonus at the end of the tunnel!
*Note: Many professional associations (including PRSA and AMA) have local chapters with online job boards, information, and event calendars. Atlanta’s AMA chapter is one example. If you are targeting a specific location, consider using this strategy for your job search!
- American Marketing Association
- American Advertising Federation
- Market Research Association (Insights Association)
- National Retail Federation
- Atlanta Interactive Marketing Association
- LinkedIn Group: Inbound Marketers
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2020 Marketing majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|160/90 Marketing Agency||Brand Strategist Intern||20North Marketing Inc.||SEO Analyst||320 Guest Ranch||Front Desk Associate||A&I Solutions||Client Services Manager||Acadia||Paid Media Analyst||Accenture||Applied Intelligence Analyst||Accenture||Interactive Analyst||Acuity Brands||Sales Leadership Specialist||Ad Victoriam Solutions||Recruiter Analyst||Adobe||Business Development Representative||ADP||Associate District Manager||Agenda Health||Junior Transaction Advisory Analyst||AIG||Distribution Analyst||Alight Solutions||Client Specialist||Alliance Sport Marketing||Creative Services Manager||Allyon Inc.||Healthcare Recruiter||American Junior Golf Association||Tournament Coordinator||AmeriSave Mortgage Corporation||Junior Mortgage Underwriter||Aon||Associate Broker||Arthrex||Medical Device Sales Representative||AssuranceAmerica||Marketing Program Assistant||AT&T, Inc.||B2B Sales Program||AT&T, Inc.||Client Solutions Executive||AT&T, Inc.||Client Solutions Executive||Augusta Plastic Surgery||Marketing Coordinator||Axis Communications||Area Marketing Coordinator||Bank of America||Treasury Sales Analyst||BBDO Atlanta||Social Account Coordinator||BCG||Administrative Assistant||Beacon Hill Staffing Group||Account Executive||Beacon Hill Staffing Group||Staffing Consultant||Becker||Digital Marketing Specialist||Big Red Rooster||Account Coordinator||Bioclean Restoration Inc.||Sales and Marketing Representative||Bitterroot Health||Foundation & Marketing Intern||Bland Farms||Operations and Sales Analyst||BlueGrace Logistics||Business Development Associate||Boehringer Ingelheim||Digital Marketing Assistant||Capgemini||Associate Consultant||Cardinal Digital Marketing||Analytics Associate||Carter’s Inc.||Assistant Merchant||Case Mate||E-Commerce Analyst||CBRE||Capital Markets Inten||CED||Management Trainee||ChannelWorks||Field Marketing Specialist||Children's Healthcare of Atlanta||Title Associate Marketing Coordinator||Children's Healthcare of Atlanta||Recruitment Analyst Intern||Cigna||Provider Contracting Analyst||Cleanstar National||Business Development Manager||Clotheshorse.world||Editorial Resident||Colliers||Lease Administrator||Connect Ministries||Staff Specialist||Contec, Inc.||Marketing Coordinator||Cox Automotive Inc.||SCRUM Master I||Cox Communications||Project Management Specialist||Cox Communications||Project Management Specialist||CoxReps||Client Sales Planner||Coyote Logistics||Business Development Representative||Cru||International Intern||DARCOMM||Communications Associate||Definition 6||Account Coordinator||Dell Technologies||Emerging Tech Specialist||Deloitte||SHINE Marketing Associate||Digital Additive||Account Coordinator||Digital Additive||Operations Specialist||Digitas North America||Associate, New Business||Disney||Communication Coordinator||DreamBuilt||Assistant Project Manager||E & J Gallo Winery||Sales Leadership Development Program||E & J Gallo Winery||Sales Representative||E Smith Heating and Air Conditioning||Project Manager||Eddis & Co.||Account Manager||Eli Lilly & Company||Diabetes Sales Representative||Empire Distributors, Inc.||Sales Representative||Enterprise||Management Trainee||Equinix||Talent Acquisition Sourcer||Ernst & Young||Recruiting Coordinator||ESI Inc. of Tennessee||Marketing Assistant||FedEx||Solutions Specialist Intern||Fewer Finer||Marketing||Fiserv, Inc.||Program Analyst||Fitzco||Digital Platforms Associate||Fluke Corporation||Software Account Executive||For Social Sync||Creative Projects Manager||Forum Communications||Junior Account Manager||Freddie Mac||Risk Governance and Reporting Associate||Gartner||Account Manager||Gas South||Sales Development Resource||Georgia HEART Hospital Program, LLC||Marketing Manager||Georgia Power Company||Social Media Intern||Gillis Brothers Incorporated||Assistant Secretary||GMR Marketing||Account Coordinator Trainee||Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company||Site Administrator||Hire Ground||Digital Marketing Coordinator||Horizon Media||Assistant Media Planner||Hormel Foods||Consumer Product Sales Representative||Imminent IL||Campaign Manager||Incentive Solutions||Marketing Communications Specialist||Innovien Solutions||Tech Recruiter||Insight Global||Recruiter||Insight Global||Technical Recruiter||Insight Global||Compliance Specialist||Insight Global||Recruiter||Insight Global||Recruiter||ISG Partners||Associate Recruiter||Jackson||Motorsports Marketing Account Coordinator||Kate Arnold Wines||Marketing Manager||Keller Williams Reality Inc.||Real Estate Consultant||Keyence Corporation||Technical Sales Engineer||Keyston Bros.||Marketing Coordinator||KIND Snacks||Trade Marketing Coordinator||King's Hawaiian Holding Co.||Market Development Champion||Kirna Zabete, Inc.||E-Commerce Operations Coordinator||Kohl's||Merchandising Trainee||KPMG||Advisory Associate||KPMG||Advisory Associate||Lead Coverage||Management Trainee||LeaseQuery, LLC||Marketing Intern||LeaseQuery, LLC||Sales Development Representative||Lincoln Property Company||Marketing Coordinator||LocumTenens.com||Account Representative||LoRa Alliance||Marketing Associate||LumberJaxe||Store Manager||Macy's||Merchandising Assistant||MarkeTeam||Account Executive||Matillion||Business Development Associate||Mauldin & Jenkins, LLC||Marketing Intern||Mercury||Employee||Microsoft||Recruiter||Mirakl||Business Development Representative||Mizuno USA||Sales Development Representative||Modern Brokers of America||Salesman||Mohawk Industries||Product Data Management Specialist||Mohawk Industries||Marketing Associate||Morgan Stanley||Client Service Associate||Mud Pie LLC||Social Media and Influencer Coordinator||Mud Pie LLC||Digital Marketing Assistant||Mud Pie LLC||Catalog Production Assistant||N3||Business Development Representative||Native Genius||Project/Design Coordinator||NCR Corporation||Business Analyst||NCR Corporation||Product Marketing Specialist||NCR Corporation||Business Development Representative||NCR Corporation||Retail Specialist||NCR Corporation||Marketing Specialist||Nebo Agency||Paid Media Associate||Neel Robinson & Stafford LLC||Pre-Closer||Neiman Marcus Group||Executive Development||Newell Brands||Assistant Brand Manager Marketing||Newell Brands||Assistant Brand Manager||Newell Brands||Sales Analyst||Norfolk Southern Corp.||Marketing Analyst||Normaltown Brewing Company||Operations Manager||North Highland||Management Consultant||Northern Financial Group||Sales and Marketing Specialist||Northpoint Commercial Finance||Account Service Coordinator||Northwestern Mutual||Financial Representative||Northwestern Mutual||Recruiting Coordinator||Novelis||Account Management Specialist||One & All||Corporate Trainer||OneTrust||Event Marketing Coordinator||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Cloud Solutions Consultant||Oracle||Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Logistics Applications Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Paycom||Outside Sales Representative||PennyMac Loan Services LLC||Loan Officer||PepsiCo||Sales Management Associate||PepsiCo||Sales Management Associate||Phoenix Marketing International||Market Research Intern||Preciball USA, Inc.||Inside Sales||Prestige Staffing||Technical Recruiter||Prime Care Technologies||Marketing Intern||Publicis Media||Associate Media Manager||PwC||Associate||Razorfish||Assistant Media Planner||Red Dress||Copywriter||Refurb Technologies||E-Commerce Specialist||Renewvia Energy||Office Manager||Reprise Digital||Paid Social Associate||Resolution Technologies, Inc.||Technical Recruiter||Response Media||Campaign Manager||RevPartners||Marketing Specialist||Ridgecrest Summer Camps||Staffing Specialist||Rooms To Go||Digital Consumer Insight Analyst||Salesforce||Business Development Associate||Salt Model Management LLC||Model||SAP||SAP Partner Marketing Specialist||SAP||Customer Transformation Intern||Scout Sports and Entertainment||Account Coordinator||Shaw Industries||Commercial Sales Trainee||Sherwin Williams||Sales Development Leadership Program||Simpson Property Group||Market Research Analyst||Snap-on Equipment||Equipment Sales Specialist||Soliant Health||Account Executive||Soliant Health||Marketing Coordinator||Soliant Health||Account Executive||Soliant Health||Account Executive||Southbridge||Technical Sales Engineer||Southern Digital Consulting||Strategic Account Specialist||Southern Living Magazine||Marketing Fellow||Spotify||AMP Sales Development Representative||Strategic Education Inc.||Marketing Specialist||Supply Chain Now||Marketing Manager||Supply Chain Now||Email Marketing Coordinator||Supply Chain Now||Marketing Manager||Symphonix Solutions||Marketing Production Manager||Tails Up, Pup||Product Designer||Tealium||Enterprise Accounts||Techtronic Industries||Event Marketing Specialist||Techtronic Industries||Event Marketing Specialist||Techtronic Industries||Event Marketing Specialist||Techtronic Industries||Event Marketing Specialist||Techtronic Industries||Event Marketing Specialist||Techtronic Industries||Field Sales & Marketing Representative||Techtronic Industries||Event Marketing Specialist||Textron||E-Commerce Associate||The Classic Center||Event Planner||The Classic Center||Marketing Project Coordinator||The Intersect Group||Operations Coordinator||The Miner Agency||Digital Dynamo||The Virtus Solution||Business Consultant||The Walt Disney Company||National Ad Sales Intern||TikTok||Client Services Coordinator||Titans Sports Academy||Digital Marketing Coordinator||Tom James Company||Professional Clothier||Tom James Company||Professional Clothier||TopRight||Digital Marketing Coordinator||Total Medical Equipment Sales & Service||Sales Distribution Specialist||Transitiv||Digital Marketing Specialist||Transwestern||Marketing Analyst||Transwestern||Tenant Service Associate||Truist Securities||Leadership Development Program Analyst||TTI||Outdoor Event Marketing Specialist||TTI||Event Marketing Specialist||TTI||Event Marketing Specialist||Twilio||Sales Development Representative||Customer Success Specialist I||University of Georgia||Intern||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill||Assistant Director of On-Campus Recruiting||Up Advertising, LLC||Account Coordinator||USA Today||Sports Life and Outdoor Reporter||Veritiv Corporation||Talent Acquisition Sourcer||ViacomCBS||Sales Assistant||Wesleyan School||Faculty Fellow||West Shore Home||In-Home Sales Representative||Western & Southern Life||Financial Representative||Wunderkind||Customer Success, Digital Marketing Associate|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2020 Marketing majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Berry College||Accounting with Healthcare Management Emphasis, MAcc||Georgia College and State University||Undeclared||Georgia College and State University||Undeclared||Temple University||Sport Business, MS||The New School||Fashion Studies, MA||Tulane University||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Marketing Research, MMR||University of Georgia||Marketing Research, MMR||University of Georgia||Sport Management and Policy (Non-Thesis), MS||University of Georgia||Marketing Research, Master's||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Marketing Research, MMR||University of Georgia||Marketing Research, MA||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Marketing Research, MMR||University of Richmond||Law, JD||Vanderbilt University||Marketing Research, MS||Vanderbilt University||Marketing, MS|