What Can I Do With a Major In Music Composition?
UGA Specific Information for Music Composition
The Bachelor of Music in Composition is a professional degree preparing qualified students for work in the music industry and/or graduate study. The program provides three years of applied lessons in a primary instrument and three years of intensive study in composition, during which students participate in weekly seminars that focus on analysis and the evaluation of undergraduate compositions. The program includes a strong foundation in theory and music literature along with applied study on a secondary instrument. Performance of contemporary music is emphasized. The four years of study culminates with a composition recital that presents a multi-movement or large-form composition for an ensemble. Composition majors are also required to perform recitals in their applied area (vocal or instrumental).
Professional career opportunities for composers include writing new music for publication, providing original music for such fields as radio broadcast, film, television, and advertising, and arranging music for various collegiate or professional performing groups (e.g. marching bands, dance bands, and other professional organizations). Graduate study provides advanced training for the fields mentioned above and provides a credential for obtaining a teaching position in higher education.
Class of 2022 Career Outcomes for Music Composition*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Hodgson School of Music
- HHSOM Student Organizations
- Collegium Musicum
- Music Teachers National Association Collegiate Chapter: T.O.N.I.C.
- UGA American Choral Directors Association
- UGA Music Therapy Student Association
- UGA's Chapter of the Collegiate National Association of Music Education (CNAfME)
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (Men's Social Fraternity)
- Sigma Alpha Iota (Women's Professional Music Fraternity)
- Kappa Kappa Psi (Coed Professional Band Fraternity)
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the UGA Involvement Network
- Connect with your Career Consultant
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
It is never too early to begin building your professional network. Get involved and build your resume early. Consider internships and volunteer opportunities to demonstrate work ethic and experience through-out your resume. Join student organizations that fit your interests and career goals. Also, consider informational interviews of professionals within your field. Visit the career center website or career guide for more information about informational interviewing including questions to ask and a cold calling script.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Production Hub LinkedIn Group (Building your network)
- LinkedIn Career Insights Tool (search what uga alumni do, what they studied, what they are skilled at, where they live, where they work and what they are skilled at
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
Job Search Websites
- Production Hub
- ShowBizJobs (mostly LA & NY)
- FilmBiz Jobs
- Entertainment Careers
- My Music Job
- Musicians Contact
- Acoustical Society of America
- Careers in Music
- Women in Music
- The Art Career Project
- Musical Online: Orchestras in the U.S.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2022 Music Composition majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Barrow County Schools
|Elementary Music Teacher
Possible Employers Who May Hire UGA Music Composition Majors
Music and Film Studios | Music Industry Associations | Music Stores | Orchestras and Bands | Production Companies | Publishing Firms | Various School Districts
Possible Job Titles for UGA Music Composition Majors
Band Director | Composer/Arranger | Engineer/Mixer | Instrument Technician | Music Instructor | Orchestra Librarian | Orchestra Manager | Studio Musician | Writer/Editor
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2022 Music Composition majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.