What Can I Do With a Major In Music Performance?
UGA Specific Information for Music Performance<! -- begin major description -->
The program of study leading to the Bachelor of Music with a major in performance is comprehensively designed to prepare for a career as a professional musician, a studio teacher, or a college professor. The degree provides a strong foundation in music history, music theory, and performance to ensure adequate preparation for continued study at the graduate level. Students enjoy numerous performance opportunities during their four years, including required third and fourth-year solo recitals.
Students earning this degree are prepared for a career as a professional performer or a studio teacher. Areas requiring high-level performance skills include, for example, radio broadcast, television, filmmaking, church music programs, and professional orchestras and bands. The degree also prepares the student for graduate study, which is designed to enhance skills and provide a credential for teaching at the college/university level.<! -- end major description -->
Class of 2021 Career Outcomes for Music Performance*
** Includes Self-Employed
<! -- begin campus resources -->
- Hodgson School of Music Department Website
- HHSOM Student Organizations
- Collegium Musicum
- Music Teachers National Association Collegiate Chapter: T.O.N.I.C.
- UGA American Choral Directors Association
- UGA Music Therapy Student Association
- UGA's Chapter of the Collegiate National Association of Music Education (CNAfME)
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (Men's Social Fraternity)
- Sigma Alpha Iota (Women's Music Fraternity)
- Kappa Kappa Psi (Coed Professional Band Fraternity)
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the UGA Involvement Network
- Connect with your Career Consultant
<! -- begin additional UGA Career Center recommendations -->
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
It is never too early to begin building your professional network. Get involved and build your resume early. Consider internships and volunteer opportunities to demonstrate work ethic and experience through-out your resume. Join student organizations that fit your interests and career goals. Also, consider informational interviews of professionals within your field. Visit the career center website or career guide for more information about informational interviewing including questions to ask and a cold calling script.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: The Vault (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- LinkedIn (Build your network)
- LinkedIn Career Insights Tool (search what uga alumni do, what they studied, what they are skilled at, where they live, where they work and what they are skilled at)
Job Search Websites
- Jobs in Opera
- Musical Chairs
- Production Hub
- Entertainment Careers
- ShowBizJobs (mostly LA & NY)
- FilmBiz Jobs
- MediaBiz Jobs
- My Music Job
- Musicians Contact
- Women in Music
- Careers in Music
- The Art Career Project
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2021 Music Performance majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2021 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Angel Animal Medical Center||Client Care Specialist||Douglas Elliman Real Estate||Real Estate Agent||Newark Board of Education||Teacher||Oconee Music||Piano Teacher|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2021 Music Performance majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Augusta University||Arts in Teaching (Music), MAT||Berklee College of Music||Music Production & Engineering, MA||Florida State University||Saxophone Performance, MM||New England Conservatory of Music||Viola Performance, MM||New York University||Percussion Studies, MM||University of Georgia||Ethnomusicology, MA|