What Can I Do With a Major In Music Theory?
UGA Specific Information for Music Theory<! -- begin major description -->
The program of study leading to the degree Bachelor of Music with a major in Music Theory is structured to give a strong foundation in the academic study of music theory with concentrations in music history, performance, and an introduction to composition. The course of study in music theory includes the areas of form and analysis, counterpoint, and compositional techniques, and culminates in a research project which demonstrates the student's knowledge and abilities in the field.
The rigor of coursework students to pursue graduate studies in research-oriented music programs and other programs that do not require a related undergraduate major. Other careers open to the graduate include studio teaching, church music, music editing and publishing, and performance.<! -- end major description -->
Class of 2020 Career Outcomes for Music Theory*
** Includes Self-Employed
<! -- begin campus resources -->
- Hugh Hodgson School of Music Website
- HHSOM Student Organizations
- Collegium Musicum
- Music Teachers National Association Collegiate Chapter: T.O.N.I.C.
- UGA American Choral Directors Association
- UGA Music Therapy Student Association
- UGA's Chapter of the Collegiate National Association of Music Education (CNAfME)
- Musicology Ethnomusicology Student Association
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (Men's Social Fraternity)
- Sigma Alpha Iota (Women's Professional Music Fraternity)
- Kappa Kappa Psi (Coed Professional Band Fraternity)
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the UGA Involvement Network
- Connect with your Career Consultant
<! -- begin additional UGA Career Center recommendations -->
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
- Get involved and build your resume early.
- Consider internships and volunteer opportunities to demonstrate work ethic and experience through-out your resume.
- Join student organizations that fit your interests and career goals.
- Consider informational interviews of professionals within your field.
- Visit the career center website or career guide for more information about informational interviewing including questions to ask and a cold calling script.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Georgia Career Information Center (accessible only on campus computers)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- LinkedIn Career Insights Tool (search what uga alumni do, what they studied, what they are skilled at, where they live, where they work and what they are skilled at)
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- Handshake (login with your UGA MyID and password)
- GoinGlobal (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Idealist (nonprofit jobs)
- USAJobs (federal jobs)
Job Search Resources
- Music Jobs
- Production Hub
- ShowBizJobs (mostly LA & NY)
- Entertainment Careers
- My Music Job
- Musicians Contact
- Careers in Music
- Music Online: Orchestras in the U.S.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2020 Music Theory majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2020 Music Theory majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Johns Hopkins University||Viola Performance, Master's||Southern Methodist University||Flute Performance and Music Theory Pedagogy, Master's||University of Georgia||Music Education, Bachelor's||University of Miami||Music Composition, Master's|