What Can I Do With a Major In Music Therapy?
UGA Specific Information for Music Therapy
The program of study leading to the Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy prepares the student for a career in the therapeutic practice of music in an effort to restore, maintain, or improve mental and/or physical health. Post-graduate employment opportunities include, but are not limited to, rehabilitative environments such as hospitals and special education programs within the framework of the public school system. The curriculum includes a strong emphasis in psychology and the social sciences and multiple opportunities to become involved in the profession through observation and participation in clinical experiences.
Music Therapy Board Certification requires, in addition to the degree requirements, a six-month internship and successful completion of the Board Certification Examination. Completion of the Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy degree and certification exam leads to licensure as a Board Certified Music Therapist. This degree is accredited by the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA), the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM), and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Music Therapy*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Hodgson School of Music Department Website
- HHSOM Student Organizations
- Collegium Musicum
- Music Teachers National Association Collegiate Chapter: T.O.N.I.C.
- UGA American Choral Directors Association
- UGA Music Therapy Student Association
- UGA's Chapter of the Collegiate National Association of Music Education (CNAfME)
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (Men's Social Fraternity)
- Sigma Alpha Iota (Women's Music Fraternity)
- Kappa Kappa Psi (Coed Professional Band Fraternity)
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the UGA Involvement Network
- Connect with your Career Consultant
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
- Build your professional network.
- Get involved and build your resume early.
- Consider internships and volunteer opportunities to demonstrate work ethic and experience through-out your resume.
- Join student organizations that fit your interests and career goals.
- Consider informational interviews of professionals within your field.
- Visit the career center website or career guide for more information about informational interviewing including questions to ask and a cold calling script.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Production Hub LinkedIn Group
- LinkedIn Career Insights Tool (search what uga alumni do, what they studied, what they are skilled at, where they live, where they work and what they are skilled at)
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
Job Search Websites
- Production Hub
- Entertainment Careers
- ShowBizJobs (mostly LA & NY)
- My Music Job
- Musicians Contact
- Women in Music
- Careers in Music
- Musical Online: Orchestras in the U.S.
- The Art Career Project
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|DC VA Medical Center||Music Therapist||Music Speaks, LLC||Music Therapist||Rosener House Day Center||Music Therapist||Therabeat, Inc. Music Therapy||Board Certified Music Therapist|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Music Therapy - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|The University of North Carolina at Greensboro||Counseling (Clinical Mental Health Counseling), MS|