What Can I Do With a Major In Political Science?
UGA Specific Information for Political Science<! -- begin major description -->
Political Science studies governments around the world by concentrating on how a government’s structure and function affect social order. Students who major in political science gain a solid awareness in the diversity of government around the globe and the various political theories, parties, and interest groups that correspond with these systems. In addition, students develop an understanding of international relations, public laws, public administration, personal rights and freedoms, justice, and political authority. Like all good liberal arts majors, political science helps students develop their analytical and problem-solving abilities, as well as improve their written and oral communication skills. It provides excellent preparation for graduate education in law and public administration, as well as doctoral programs in political science. Political Science is also a good foundation for careers in public service, campaign work, and various management positions in the private sector.<! -- end major description -->
Class of 2021 Career Outcomes for Political Science*
** Includes Self-Employed
<! -- begin campus resources -->
- SPIA Advising News
- Washington Semester Program
- College Republicans
- Young Democrats
- Pi Sigma Alpha
- The Roosevelt Institute
- UGA Student Government Association
- University Judiciary
- UGA Pre-Law Advising Program
To find additonal clubs and organizations, visit the Center for Student Organizations.
And connect with your Career Consultant!
<! -- begin additional UGA Career Center recommendations -->
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
The study of government allows for the development of a core set of skills sought after by employers in a wide range of occupational settings. A sample of representative skills and abilities follows.
- Synthesizing themes from diverse source
- Ability to interpret social and political data
- Integrating of theory and practice
- Public speaking
- Presenting written information clearly and concisely
- Ability to express multiple viewpoints
- Research design, implementation and evaluation
- Examination of theory
- Ability to utilize various online research resources
SAMPLE INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
- Communications/Media (e.g., Public Strategies Inc.)
- Congressional Offices (e.g., Local and national offices of U.S. Senators or Congressmen/women)
- Education (Curatorial, Research, Historical, Public Affairs, Naval Historical Center)
- Government Consulting Firm (e.g., KPMG, Deloitte and Touche)
- Nonprofit/NGO (e.g., Pathways for Mutual Respect, Oregon Bus Project, Partners for Livable Communities)
- Lobbying Firms (e.g., Downey McGrath Group, Inc., Carmen Group, Cassidy and Associates)
- State/Local Government (e.g., State congressmen or senators/ local councilmen)
- Political Action Committee (e.g., American Israel Public Affairs Committee)
- Think Tanks (e.g., American Enterprise Institute, Center for Strategic and International Studies)
- An undergraduate degree in political science is good preparation for graduate or professional study in areas such as political science, public administration, foreign policy, law, business, and more. Carefully research programs in order to choose specializations or concentrations of interest.
- Maintain a high grade point average to ensure admission into a graduate or law program and/or a position within the government.
- Expect keen competition for federal positions. Prepare yourself with a strong academic background and good experience. Many government jobs have strict guidelines and want to carefully match candidates’ knowledge, skills, and abilities to the job description. Research this first and seek the classes and experiences that will best prepare you.
- Explore application to Administrative Careers with America (ACWA) and the Outstanding Scholar Program for federal positions.
- Develop strong leadership skills; run for office in clubs and organizations in school or community. Volunteer to organize or lead an event or project.
- Join related social and/or professional organizations.
- Build a strong personal network through informal contacts.
- Consider military experience and training as an entryway into government jobs and public service. The Peace Corps is also a good way to enter a career in government.
- Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. To search, select “groups” under the “interests” tab. Also, review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Interested in graduate school? Find current information on getting into graduate school at UGA’s Career Center webpage.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- Careers in Political Science - American Political Science Assocation (APSA)
- My Next Move
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (under the Resources tab, select Online Resources)
- Candid Career - View professionals speaking about their careers (under the Resources tab, select Online Resources)
- Go Government
- Federal Jobs Digest
- Partnership for Public Service
- Team Georgia - Careers with the State of Georgia
- Georgia Governor's Intern Program
- Georgia Local Government Access
- Georgia Legislative Internship Program
- Senator Isakson Public Policy Fellowship
- Vinson Institute Fellows Program
- CLEO - Seeking Diversity in Law
- Law School Admission Council (LSAC)
- Discover Law
- American Political Science Association
- International Association for Political Science Students
- American Association of Political Consultants
- Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management
- Association of Government Relations Professionals
- Association County Commissioners of Georgia
- Georgia Municipal Association
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators
- American Federation of Government Employees
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2021 Political Science majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2021 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|4.0 Constructions||Director of Land Development||AlphaSights||Client Services Associate||Atlanta Journal-Constitution||News Intern||Blasingame, Burch, Garrard & Ashley, P.C.||Legal Assistant||Brian Kemp For Governor||Regional Political Director||Bryan Miller for Lt. Governor||Deputy Finance Director||Carl Vinson Institute of Government||Clerkical Worker||Carl Vinson Institute of Government||Clerkical Worker||Carl Vinson Institute of Government||Clerkical Worker||Carl Vinson Institute of Government||Clerkical Worker||Carl Vinson Institute of Government||Clerkical Worker||Chi Alpha Campus Ministries, U.S.A.||Staff Member||Chick-fil-A||Executive director||Chick-fil-A||Leadership Development Program||Chick-fil-A||Leadership Development Program||Chick-fil-A||Leadership Development Program||City of Atlanta - Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs||Community Outreach Specialist||CNN||The Row Researcher||CNN||News Associate||Consumer Financial Protection Bureau||Director's Financial Analyst||Convercent by OneTrust||Business Development Representative||Country Financial||Financial Representative||Deloitte||Analyst||Democratic Party of Georgia||Deputy Finance Director||Dentons||Senior Public Policy Analyst||Department of Commerce||Analyst||Direct Packaging LLC||Sales Representative||Double D Plumbing||Office Manager||Double D Plumbing||Office Manager||Edelman||Assistant Account Executive||Envision Communications||Account Coordinator||Federal Defender Program||Assistant Paralegal||Georgia General Assembly||Legislative Assistant||Georgia Republican Party||Field Organizer||Georgia Veverage Association||Legislative Assistant||Gwinnett County||Paraprofessional||Gwinnett County Government||Purchasing Associate||Hall Booth Smith, P.C.||Paralegal||Hawkins Parnell & Young, LLP||Legal Intern||International Rescue Committee||NDMVA Workforce Development Coordinator||Island Gyals, LLC||Chief Executive Officer||K&L Gates||Government Affairs Fellow||Ken Law Law Firm||Legal Assistant||KLINGSPOR Abrasives USA||Factory Sales Representative||Marine Corps||2nd Lieutenant||McKenney's, Inc.||Project Manager||Media Analytics Analyst||Inspire Brands||Middleton Public Affairs||Government Affairs Manager||Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough||Project Assistant||Nova 401(k) Associates||401(k) Plan Specialist||Office of Governor Brian P. Kemp||Special Assistant to the Governor||Push Digital||Junior Accountant||PYA||Consulting Intern||RaceTrac, Inc.||Financial Analyst||Ras Crane and Partners||Title Processor||Schneider Hammers LLC||Litigation Legal Assistant||Scott A. Prior, Attorney at Law||Legal Assistant||Signature Craft Gallery||Marketing Manager||Sloane & Co. Public Relations||Associate||State Charter Schools Commission||Program Coordinator||The State Newspaper||South Carolina Gamecocks Reporter||Ultimate Gutter Guard by Southern||Marketing Lead||United States House of Representatives||Staff Assistant||United States Senate||Communications Intern||USCA||Management Analyst GS7||Vayman & Teitelbaum, P.C.||Legal Assistant||War Room Strategies||Bodyman for Jody Hice||War Room Strategies||Intern||Warnock for Georgia||Operations Assistant|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2021 Political Science majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Athens Technical College||Not Specified||Campbell University||Law, JD||Charleston School of Law||Law, JD||Duke University||Law, JD||Emory University||Law, JD||Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University||Law, JD||George Mason University||Law, JD||Georgia Institute of Technology||Public Policy, MS||Georgia State University||Law, JD||Georgia State University||Law, JD||Georgia State University||Law, JD||Howard University||Law, JD||Johns Hopkins University||Hospital Adminstration, MHA||Mercer University||Law, JD||Northeastern University||Criminology and Criminal Justice, Master's||Notre Dame||Law, JD||Penn State University||Public Administration, MPA||Saint Petersburg State University||Russian Language as a Foreign language, Non-dregree/ Language Certificate||Samford University||Law, JD||Tulane University||Law, JD||Tulane University||Law, JD||Tulane University||Law, JD||University of Arkansas at Little Rock||Sports Management, MS||University of Arkansas, Fayetteville||Law, JD||University of Georgia||College Student Affairs Administration, M.Ed||University of Georgia||Public Administration, MA||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Urban Planning and Design, MUPD||University of Georgia||Public Administration, MA||University of Georgia||Social Work, MSW||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Arts and Teaching and Social Studies, Master's||University of Georgia||Public Administration, MA||University of Georgia||Public Adminstration, MPA||University of Georgia||Law, MSL||University of Georgia||Public Administration, MA||University of Georgia||Public Administration/ Law, MPA/JD||University of Georgia||Environmental Economics, MS||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Public Administration, MA||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Public Administration, MPA||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Public Administration, MPA||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georgia||International Policy, MIP||University of Georgia||Law, JD||University of Georiga||Public Administration, MPA||University of Miami||Law, JD||University of Miami||Law, JD||University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee||Urban Planning, MA||Valdosta State University||Undeclared, BA|