What Can I Do With a Major In Poultry Science?
UGA Specific Information for Poultry Science
All students in the Department of Poultry Science are encouraged to obtain a well-rounded education in the humanities and social sciences as well as the biological, chemical, and physical sciences. Students receive a minimum of 36 semester credit hours of poultry science dealing with production, management, breeding, nutrition, anatomy and physiology, processing, and diseases. To complete their program of study, poultry science students may elect additional courses in either agribusiness or science. Fundamental education in agricultural business, marketing, finance, and management prepares students for entering the dynamic poultry industry in a wide variety of positions. In-depth courses in biological and agricultural sciences prepare students who aspire to careers in teaching, research, and development for entering graduate or professional schools.
Poultry is Georgia's largest agricultural industry. The agribusiness complex related to poultry in Georgia is a multi-million dollar industry and is the largest employer in the agricultural sector. Students who major in poultry science have excellent opportunities for employment and career advancement.
Class of 2022 Career Outcomes for Poultry Science*
** Includes Self-Employed
To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
Connect with your Career Consultant for guidance and support.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
If you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree, check out our website for assistance with this process
If you are considering applying to Veterinary School, check out this article for specific tips
If you are interested in Medical School, check out this site for details about the application process
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Georgia Career Information Center (accessible only on campus computers)
- Firsthand (Explore a library of guides, articles, and other resources to help you explore careers, plan your job search, and learn about different work environments. Create a free account with your UGA email.)
- Candid Career (Watch recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers. Filter videos by career title, college major, industry, and more.)
- U.S. Poultry and Egg Association
- American Egg Board
- American Poultry Association
- American Farm Bureau Federation
- Association of Avian Veterinarians
- The Coop
- Food Safety (HACCP) information
- The American Veterinary Medicine Association
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2022 Poultry Science majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Broiler Field Representative
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2022 Poultry Science majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|University of Georgia
|Poultry Science, Master's