What Can I Do With a Major In Public Relations?
UGA Specific Information for Public Relations
This program prepares students to be creative problem-solvers, writers, managers, policy and communication decision-makers, media planners, and analysts in the fields of mass communication, advertising, and public relations. Career opportunities in public relations include entry-level positions in marketing communications, corporate relations, public opinion research, nonprofit and education fundraising, political campaigning, and trade association lobbying.
Class of 2021 Career Outcomes for Public Relations*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Ad Club
- The Association for Women in Sports Media at the University of Georgia
- International Association of Business Communicators - UGA Chapter
- National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) – UGA Chapter
- Online News Association / Society of Professional Journalists at UGA
- Pandora Yearbook
- Paw Print Agency
- The Professional Entertainment & Sports Association (PESA)
- The Industry (Entertainment and media student organization)
- Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)
- Rouge Magazine
- Talking Dog Agency
- The Red and Black
- Women in Sports and Events (WISE) – UGA Chapter
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the UGA Involvement Network
- UGA Mentor Program
- Connect with your Career Consultant
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Knowledge/Skills Needed in this Industry
- Strengthen verbal communication skills by taking speech communication courses and engaging in public speaking opportunities.
- Enhance writing skills through additional coursework or by writing for a publication such as The Red & Black.
- Obtain part-time, summer job, internship, or volunteer experience within an area of interest. Public Relations is a competitive field and related experience is essential to break into the industry.
- Learn to work well with teams.
- Get a summer job or internship with a public relations firm, newspaper, TV, or radio station.
- Develop strong computer skills and learn applications related to web page design.
- Gain persuasion skills through sales and learn how to sell your ideas.
- Gain experience with social media marketing using platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Become proficient in social media analytics by using platforms like HootSuite.
- More students are becoming proficient in online advertising services such as Google AdWords.
- Develop the ability to work under the pressure of deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Students interested in the accounts and management side of PR should consider taking at least one course in marketing, business management, accounting, and/or finance. Try to become proficient in Excel before you graduate.
- Consider enrolling in New Media Certificate courses to gain understanding and proficiency in digital media such as the Internet, websites, computer multimedia, and social media.
- Create a portfolio of writing samples, ad campaigns, marketing strategies, graphics, and ideas. Making an online portfolio is a good way to market your skills for job opportunities by using websites such as Behance, Issuu, Weebly, Wix, and WordPress. For more information and platforms, check out Portfolio Resources on the Career Center website.
Campus Involvement, Domestic Field Study and Study Abroad Opportunities
- Join the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) and/or International Association of Business Communicators (IABC).
- Participate in Creative Consultants, a student-run PR firm or Talking Dog Advertising, a student-run full-service advertising agency.
- Join the American Marketing Association at UGA to gain knowledge in marketing strategies and research. You will also gain practical experience in applying social and digital marketing techniques with local and national businesses.
- Students interested in pursuing careers in the creative industry are encouraged to enroll in Summer at the Circus, a partnership between Grady College and The Creative Circus in Atlanta. Creative Circus is one of the top portfolio schools in the country, offering programs in Art Direction, Copywriting, Design, Image, Interactive Design, and several other areas
- Participate in the UGA Global Advertising and PR Program in China, and learn about brand communication in Shanghai, Beijing, and Hong Kong.
- Consider participating in the UGA Cannes Lions Study Abroad Program, which allows students to attend the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity and witness thousands of ads from around the world being showcased and judged. This opportunity also allows students to network with producers, directors, and actors who have starred in motion pictures.
LinkedIn Groups to Join
- Advertising and PR at UGA Grady College
- Internships and Interns
- PRSSA Public Relations Society of America (PRSA National)
- University of Georgia Alumni Association Group (UGA)
- University of Georgia Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication Alumni
- Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
- For more information on how to effectively utilize LinkedIn, check out the UGA Career Center's Networking Page.
Additional Internship/Job Search Tips
- For additional information on internships and job opportunities, look out for emails sent every Tuesday on the Grady Career Services Update listserv. If you are not on that listserv, sign up for the Grady job leads listserv here.
- Follow @UGAGradyCareers on Twitter for timely job postings and career advice, run by the Grady College Office of Experiential Learning and the UGA Career Center Grady College Career Consultant.
- If you’re interested in working or interning for a specific company, visit that company’s website. Job and internship opportunities are usually listed under the “Careers” tab.
- For a complete list of advertising agencies and PR firms, check out this list compiled by Grady.
- For information about job salary, company reviews, and job openings, visit Glassdoor and Payscale.com.
- For a general job search, visit websites such as Indeed, Monster, and Simply Hired.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (Click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (Type in general term for a career of interest)
- Firsthand (Explore a library of guides, articles, and other resources to help you explore careers, plan your job search, and learn about different work environments. Create a free account with your UGA email.)
- Candid Career (Watch recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers. Filter videos by career title, college major, industry, and more.)
- UGA Mentor Program (Connect with alumni and friends of UGA for an informational interview or 16-week mentorship. This can help you search for majors and careers, and it can help you expand your professional network.)
- Handshake (Log in with your UGA MyID and password)
- Interstride (International Job Search resource for domestic and international students)
- Idealist (Non-profit jobs)
- USAJobs (Federal jobs)
- Council of Public Relations Firms
- Digital Media Jobs Network
- Entertainment Careers
- Journalism Jobs
- Marketing Hire
- Media Bistro
- National Association of Black Journalists
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ) - UGA Chapter
- Nation Job
- O’Dwyer’s PR Services Report
- PR NewsWire
- PRSA/Georgia Chapter
- PRSA JobCenter
- PRSA Silicon Valley
- PR Week Magazine
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA National)
- Society of Professional Journalists
- Talent Zoo
- T. Howard Foundation – Diversity in the Media
- WarnerMedia (Formerly Turner Broadcasting)
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2021 Public Relations majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2021 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|20North Marketing Inc.||SEO Analyst||ADP||Associate District Manager||ALDI USA||District Manager||ALDI USA||District Manager||Angie Hranowsky Studio||Design Assistant||APCO Worldwide||Amplify Intern||Appen Media||Digital Editor||Arizona State University||Graduate Athletics Assistant||Arketi Group||Account Coordinator||Bospar||Assistant Account Executive||Caren West PR||Publicity Assistant||Caren West PR||Public Relations Coordinator||Certainty Home Loans||Mortgage Home Loan Assistant||Certainty Home Loans||Mortgage Home Loan Assistant||Certainty Home Loans||Mortgage Home Loan Assistant||Chick-fil-A||Propel Program Leader||Choice Media & Communications||Associate Publicist||Choice Media & Communications||Business Development Coordinator||Clinch Memorial Hospital||Director of Operational Development||Cook and Tolley LLC||Currier||Cookerly PR||Public Relations Intern||Cox Communications||Project Management Specialist||CoxReps||Client Sales Planner||Czarnowski||Account Coordinator||Deloitte||SHINE Marketing Associate||Deloitte||Analyst||Delta Airlines||Associate Project Coordinator||Discovery Inc.||Sales Assistant||Docebo||Enterprise Learning Consultant||Entree Health||Submission Coordinator||Folio Literary Management||Literary Assistant||FOVNDRY||Account Coordinator||GCI Health||Assistant Account Executive||Georgia Crown Distributing Co.||Assistant Marketing Coordinator||Glass & Robson, LLC||Legal Assistant||Green Olive Media LLC||Social Media Coordinator||Guardian Sports||Social Media Marketing Intern||Gucci||People's Assistant||ICF Next||Public Relations Intern||Jackson Spalding||Public Relations Professional||Jackson Spalding||Public Relations Intern||Jackson Spalding||Public Relations Specialist||Kay Social||Content Coordinator||Kitty and Vibe||Assistant Marketing Manager||LUCKIE||Project Coordinator||LUCKIE||Content Strategy Coordinator||Macmillan||Sales Assistant||Magrino Public Relation||Associate Account Coordinator||Meltwater||Sales Consultant||Mod Op||Account Coordinator||Motive||Account Coordinator||Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough||Project Assistant||New Flag USA||Marketing and Sales Intern||Newell Brands||Assistant Manager||Office of Governor Brian P Kemp||Deputy Scheduler||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Organic Krush||Marketing Coordinator||PARKLU by Launchmetrics||Campaign Service Intern||PepsiCo||Sales Management Associate||Phase 3 Marketing and Communications||Public Relations Coordinator||PLUS Communications||Public Affairs||PLUS Communications||Intern||Precision Strategies||Digital Associate||Pūrvelo Cycle||Studio Manager||Radancy||Account Coordinator||Real Chemistry||Integrated Media Associate||Red Ventures||Copywriter||Rogers & Cowan||Trainee, Entertainment||Salesloft||Partner Program Coordinator||See.Spark.Go||Account Coordinator||Sheridan Public Relations, LLC||Staff Associate||Simplify Compliance||Marketing Coordinator (Media)||Sloane & Co. Public Relations||Associate||SO2 Digital||Digital Advertising and Graphic Design Specialist||Soliant||Account Executive||Speakeasy||Digital Marketing Manager||Springbot||Campaign Services Specialist||Stanton Communication||Account Coordinator||Stingray Cheer Co.||Office Manager||Sunshine Sachs||Public Relations Assistant||Target||Executive Team Leader||TEAM Enterprises||Market Manager||The Blumes||Project Manager||The Estee Launder Companies||Education and Special Events Consultant||The Wilbert Group||Public Relations Fellow||Trevelino/Keller||Assistant Account Executive||Tupperware Brands||Global Communications Specialist||University of Georgia||Marketing Assistant||Van der Lande & Associates - Keller Williams First Atlanta||Marketing Coordinator||Weber Shandwick||PR Intern||Weber Shandwick||Junior Associate||Weddings in Athens||Blogging Intern||WeWork||Inbound Sales Representative||WinShape||Activities Intern||Yelp||Account Executive||Zenith||Associate Planner|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2021 Public Relations majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Catholic University of America||Law, JD||Florida State University||Higher Education, MS||Savannah College of Art and Design||Luxury and Fashion Management, MA||Texas Christian University||Higher Education, M.Ed.||University of Georgia||Emerging Media, MA||University of Georgia||Integrated Communications (ADPR 4,1), MA||University of Georgia||Journalism and Mass Communications, Master's||University of Georgia||Public Administration, MPA||University of Georgia||Integrated Advertising and Public Relations, Master's||University of Georgia||Integrated Advertising and Public Relations, MA||University of Georgia||Integrated Communications (ADPR 4,1), MA||University of Miami||Law, JD||University of Tennessee||Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, MS|