What Can I Do With a Major In Risk Management and Insurance ?
UGA Specific Information for Risk Management and Insurance
Risk management and insurance professionals focus on the function of executive leadership in handling risks facing the business enterprise. The risk management and insurance industry offers careers that help individuals and businesses manage (or anticipate) risk to protect themselves from catastrophic losses. These professionals help clients understand their insurance needs and options. The first thing that comes to mind for most people when they think of jobs in insurance is sales - but that’s only one aspect of the field. Other areas include consulting, underwriting, asset management, human resources, customer service, actuarial and legal services. Some Risk Management majors pursue related Terry College certificate programs, such as the Certificate in Legal Studies or the Actuarial Science certificate. These qualifications require specific coursework and are closely tied to the student’s career interests.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Risk Management and Insurance *
** Includes Self-Employed
- Camille Liverpool, Terry College of Business Career Consultant (Management, Marketing, RMI & Real Estate)
- Kathy Cohen, Academic Advisor
- Risk Management and Insurance Homepage
- Risk Management and Insurance Career Resources Page
Clubs & Organizations
To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
POTENTIAL CAREER PATHS
- Actuary - Analyze statistical data, such as mortality, accident, sickness, disability, and retirement rates and construct probability tables to forecast risk and liability for payment of future benefits. May ascertain insurance rates required and cash reserves necessary to ensure payment of future benefits.
- Claims - Review settled insurance claims to determine that payments and settlements have been made in accordance with company practices and procedures. Report overpayments, underpayments, and other irregularities. Confer with legal counsel on claims requiring litigation.
- Insurance Broker or Agent - Investigate, analyze, and determine the extent of insurance company's liability concerning personal, casualty, or property loss or damages, and attempt to effect settlement with claimants. Correspond with or interview medical specialists, agents, witnesses, or claimants to compile information. Calculate benefit payments and approve payment of claims within a certain monetary limit.
- Risk Analyst - Analyze and manage risk management issues by identifying, measuring, and making decisions on operational or enterprise risks for an organization.
- Insurance Underwriter - Review individual applications for insurance to evaluate degree of risk involved and determine acceptance of applications.
The Risk Management and Insurance Department at UGA does an excellent job of connecting students with career opportunities. Take advantage of these resources during your time in school – join one of the professional associations, subscribe to the department’s listserv, and attend campus events such as employer information sessions and the RMI Career Fair held each spring.
COMPANY & SALARY RESEARCH
- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords.
- Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well.
- To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- Interstride - View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Glassdoor - Glassdoor is a free jobs and career community that offers the world an inside look at jobs and companies. What sets us apart is our "employee generated content" – anonymous salaries, company reviews, interview questions, and more – all posted by employees, job seekers, and sometimes the companies themselves. Now with nearly 3 million salaries and reviews, you have all the information you might need to make your next career decision.
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Terry Connect - Terry's online mentorship platform. By creating an online profile during the active enrollment period (mid-late August) students will be matched with a mentor in their prospective industry for advice on job/internship searches, interview skills, and professional development. Students are also able to engage with alumni and each other on discussion boards and in special interest groups.
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- Handshake (UGA's online internship and job board) *Login with your MyID and password
- Idealist (nonprofit jobs)
- USAJobs (federal jobs)
- LinkedIn Job Board
MAJOR/CAREER SPECIFIC JOB BOARDS:
- Actuary.com (Actuary Jobs)
- BankJobs.com (Bank Related Jobs)
- Global Association of Risk Professionals Career Center
- InsuranceJobs.com (Insurance Jobs)
- UltimateInsuranceJobs.com (Insurance Jobs)
- InsuranceJournal.com (Insurance Jobs)
- GreatInsuranceJobs.com (Insurance Jobs)
- InsuranceWorkforce.com (Insurance Jobs)
- GovernmentJobs.com (Risk Management Government Jobs)
- American Society for Health Care Risk Management (Health Care Risk Management Jobs)
- Professional Risk Managers’ Association Career Center
- Risk and Insurance Management Society Career Center
- Public Agency Risk Managers Association Job Listings Page
- Be an Actuary
- American Property Casualty Insurance Association
- American Institute for CPCU and Insurance Institute of America
- American Risk and Insurance Association
- Association of Professional Insurance Women
- Council of Insurance Agents and Brokers
- Insurance Information Institute
- The Association of Insurance Professionals
- National Association of Professional Insurance Agents
- NAPSLO Career Center and Internships
- Professional Risk Managers’ Association
- Public Risk Management Association
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|AB Risk Specialist, Inc||Account Manager||Ad Victoriam Solutions||Analyst||AIG||Underwriting Analyst||All Risks||Associate Broker, Production Associate||Allstate Insurance||Sales Consultant||American Strategic Insurance (ASI)||Underwriter Trainee||Amica Mutual Insurance||Associate Adjuster||Aon||Account Representative, Account Specialist, Associate Broker, Health and Benefits Specialist, Innovation Rotational Program, Underwriter Specialist||Associated Credit Union||Risk Mitigation Specialist||Auto-Owners Insurance||Associate Underwriter||B. Riley FBR||Investment Banking Analyst||Bass Underwriters||Underwriter Assistant||Beazley Group||Assistant Underwriter, Associate Underwriter, Underwriter Trainee||Beecher Carlson||Casualty Risk Analyst, Risk Analyst||Berkshire Hathaway||Underwriter I||BlueSkyRisk||Underwriting Specialist||Bowen, Miclette & Britt Insurance Agency, LLC||Producer||Bowers Insurance Group||Commercial Producer||Brown & Brown||Associate Broker||Brown & Riding Insurance Services||Production Assistant||Burns & Wilcox||Associate Underwriter, Broker Assistant||Chubb||Associate Underwriter, Chubb Associate, Chubb Associate Program: Westchester Environmental, Commercial Underwriter, Environmental Underwriter||CNA Risk Control||Risk Control Trainee||CollegeTown Properties||Leasing Associate||Commercial Lines Underwriter Trainee||Philadelphia Insurance Companies||Consolidated Risk Solutions||Account Associate||Credigy||Rotation Analyst||Crum & Forster||Account Executive||Deloitte||Regulatory and Operational Risk Consultant||Dixon Hughes Goodman||Data Analytics Healthcare Consultant||Docebo||Outbound Business Development Representative||Eastern Alliance Insurance Company||Associate Underwriter||Elavon||Financial Systems Analyst||Entertainment Risk||Underwriting Specialist||Everest Insurance||Underwriting Assistant||Fallon Benefits Group||Employee Benefits Coordinator||First Data||Procurement Analyst||GEICO||Management Development Position, Management Development Program||General Star||Underwriter Trainee||Georgia Farm Bureau||Associate Case Auto Underwriter||Glen Davis and Associates||Trainee||Great American Insurance Group||Production Underwriter Trainee||Hallmark Financial Services Inc.||Associate Underwriter||Harden & Associates||Account Director||Hiscox||Underwriting Graduate Program||Holder Construction||Risk Management Intern||Huashi AmyPark Agency||Team Member||HUB International||Benefit Analyst||ICAT||Platform Business Units (PBU) Underwriter||Insurance Office of America||Account Coordinator||INSUREtrust||Account Manager||Ironshore||Underwriting Trainee||James River Insurance||Associate Underwriter||KPMG||Actuarial Associate, Risk Consultant, Tax Associate||LeaseTerm Solutions||Account Executive||Liberty Mutual Insurance||E&S Property Underwriting Trainee, Middle Market Underwriting Trainee, Underwriter, Underwriting Trainee||Lighting Associates Inc.||Marketing Specialist||Lockton Companies||Account Analyst, Account Services Administrator, Employee Benefits Account Analyst, Financial Analyst||Lyon Fry Cadden Insurance||Account Manager||Markel||Underwriting Technician||MarketSphere||Consultant||Marquee Insurance Group||National Sales Representative||Marsh||TRAC Associate||Marsh and McLennan Companies||Account Executive||McGriff, Siebels, and Williams||Producer Trainee||Merlinos and Associates||Actuarial Analyst||Merrill Lynch||FADP Trainee, Financial Service Representative||Northwestern Mutual||Financial Representative||Old Republic Aerospace||Premium Audit Analyst||Origami Risk||Risk System Analyst||Peachtree Benefit Group||Associate Account Manager||Peachtree Special Risk Brokers||Associate Broker Trainee||Philadelphia Insurance Companies||Southeast Territory Account Executive||PURE Group of Insurance Companies||Underwriting Analyst||PwC||Digital Risk Solutions Associate||Rapid Mortgage||Loan Officer||RCM&D||Client Representative||Red Hat Financial Services||Associate Middleware Consultant||Revolos||Business Analyst||Rhodes Risk Advisors||Music and Entertainment Specialist||Risk Placement Services||Associate Broker, Underwriter Associate||RLI Transportation||Associate Underwriter||Rolls Royce Civil Aerospace||Commercial Officer||RSM US LLP||Not Specified||Sedgwick||Claims Associate||Snellings Walters||Technical Manager||South State Bank||Teller/Financial Service Representative||SPX Corporation||Auditor||Starr Insurance Companies||Underwriting Associate||Start Companies||Underwriting Associate||State Farm||Agent Aspirant, Claims Specialist, Client Specialist||Sterling Seacrest Partners||Account Associate, Client Service Assistant, Client Services Assistant||SunTrust Bank||Corporate Functions Development Analyst||Swan Transportation Services||Logistics Coordinator||Tanner, Ballew and Maloof, Inc.||Associate||Terry Bayles||Recruiter||The Hackett Group||Associate Consultant||The Piedmont Group||Financial Services Representative||TIS Insurance Services, Inc.||Account Executive||Travelers||Inside Auto Claims Rep||Turner Wood and Smith Insurance Agency||Employee Benefits Producer||Turnkey Planning Solution||Paraplanner||UPS||Financial Analyst||USI Insurance||Program Associate||Ventus Risk Management||Assistant Underwriter||Virginia Beach City Public Schools||Head Golf Coach||Wakely Consulting Group||Actuarial Analyst||Wells Fargo||Bank Teller||Westchester, a Chubb company||Underwriting Associate||Willis Towers Watson||Assistant Client Manager, Associate Broker, GDP, Reinsurance Analyst||XPO Logistics, Inc.||Safety and Risk Management|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Risk Management and Insurance - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|New York University||Not Specified, Not Specified||University of Georgia||Business Administration, MBA; Business Analytics, MSBA; Law, JD||Washington University||Finance, Not Specified|