What Can I Do With a Major In Risk Management and Insurance ?
UGA Specific Information for Risk Management and Insurance
Risk management and insurance professionals focus on the function of executive leadership in handling risks facing the business enterprise. The risk management and insurance industry offers careers that help individuals and businesses manage (or anticipate) risk to protect themselves from catastrophic losses. These professionals help clients understand their insurance needs and options. The first thing that comes to mind for most people when they think of jobs in insurance is sales - but that’s only one aspect of the field. Other areas include consulting, underwriting, asset management, human resources, customer service, actuarial and legal services. Some Risk Management majors pursue related Terry College certificate programs, such as the Certificate in Legal Studies or the Actuarial Science certificate. These qualifications require specific coursework and are closely tied to the student’s career interests.
Class of 2021 Career Outcomes for Risk Management and Insurance *
** Includes Self-Employed
- Umesh Patel, Terry College of Business Career Consultant (Management, Marketing, RMI & Real Estate)
- Courtney Gray, Academic Advisor
- Zach Thrift, Academic Advisor
- Risk Management and Insurance Homepage
- Risk Management and Insurance Career Resources Page
Clubs & Organizations
To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
POTENTIAL CAREER PATHS
- Actuary - Analyze statistical data, such as mortality, accident, sickness, disability, and retirement rates and construct probability tables to forecast risk and liability for payment of future benefits. May ascertain insurance rates required and cash reserves necessary to ensure payment of future benefits.
- Claims - Review settled insurance claims to determine that payments and settlements have been made in accordance with company practices and procedures. Report overpayments, underpayments, and other irregularities. Confer with legal counsel on claims requiring litigation.
- Insurance Broker or Agent - Investigate, analyze, and determine the extent of insurance company's liability concerning personal, casualty, or property loss or damages, and attempt to effect settlement with claimants. Correspond with or interview medical specialists, agents, witnesses, or claimants to compile information. Calculate benefit payments and approve payment of claims within a certain monetary limit.
- Risk Analyst - Analyze and manage risk management issues by identifying, measuring, and making decisions on operational or enterprise risks for an organization.
- Insurance Underwriter - Review individual applications for insurance to evaluate degree of risk involved and determine acceptance of applications.
The Risk Management and Insurance Department at UGA does an excellent job of connecting students with career opportunities. Take advantage of these resources during your time in school – join one of the professional associations, subscribe to the department’s listserv, and attend campus events such as employer information sessions and the RMI Career Fair held each spring.
COMPANY & SALARY RESEARCH
- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords.
- Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well.
- To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- Interstride - View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Glassdoor - Glassdoor is a free jobs and career community that offers the world an inside look at jobs and companies. What sets us apart is our "employee generated content" – anonymous salaries, company reviews, interview questions, and more – all posted by employees, job seekers, and sometimes the companies themselves. Now with nearly 3 million salaries and reviews, you have all the information you might need to make your next career decision.
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Terry Connect - Terry's online mentorship platform. By creating an online profile during the active enrollment period (mid-late August) students will be matched with a mentor in their prospective industry for advice on job/internship searches, interview skills, and professional development. Students are also able to engage with alumni and each other on discussion boards and in special interest groups.
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- Handshake (UGA's online internship and job board) *Login with your MyID and password
- Idealist (nonprofit jobs)
- USAJobs (federal jobs)
- LinkedIn Job Board
MAJOR/CAREER SPECIFIC JOB BOARDS:
- Actuary.com (Actuary Jobs)
- BankJobs.com (Bank Related Jobs)
- Global Association of Risk Professionals Career Center
- InsuranceJobs.com (Insurance Jobs)
- UltimateInsuranceJobs.com (Insurance Jobs)
- InsuranceJournal.com (Insurance Jobs)
- GreatInsuranceJobs.com (Insurance Jobs)
- InsuranceWorkforce.com (Insurance Jobs)
- GovernmentJobs.com (Risk Management Government Jobs)
- American Society for Health Care Risk Management (Health Care Risk Management Jobs)
- Professional Risk Managers’ Association Career Center
- Risk and Insurance Management Society Career Center
- Public Agency Risk Managers Association Job Listings Page
- Be an Actuary
- American Property Casualty Insurance Association
- American Institute for CPCU and Insurance Institute of America
- American Risk and Insurance Association
- Association of Professional Insurance Women
- Council of Insurance Agents and Brokers
- Insurance Information Institute
- The Association of Insurance Professionals
- National Association of Professional Insurance Agents
- NAPSLO Career Center and Internships
- Professional Risk Managers’ Association
- Public Risk Management Association
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2020 Risk Management and Insurance majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Accenture||Platform Advisory Analyst||ADT Commercial||Integrated Systems Designer||AIG||Underwriting Analyst||AIG||Underwriting Analyst||AIG||Underwriting Analyst||American Airlines||Coporate Development Trainee||American Credit Acceptance||Strategy Analyst||American Global, LLC||Account Associate||Amwins||Associate Underwritter||Amwins||Technical Assistant||Amwins||Associate Underwriter||Amwins||Technical Assistant||Amwins||Financial Analyst||Anne Tamm, LLC||Real Estate Agent||Anne Tamm, LLC||Real Estate Agent||Anne Tamm, LLC||Real Estate Agent||Anne Tamm, LLC||Real Estate Agent||Anne Tamm, LLC||Real Estate Agent||Aon||Associate Account Executive||Apple Inc.||Technical Expert||Arch Insurance Group Inc.||Associate Underwriter - Executive Assurance||Auto-Owners Insurance||Commercial Lines Underwriter||Axis Capital Specialty Insurance||Business and Product Analyst||Axis Capital Specialty Insurance||Underwriting Analyst||Bass Underwriters||Underwriting Assistant||Bass Underwriters||Assistant Underwriter||Bass Underwriters||Underwriting Assistant||Beazley Group||Underwriter||Beazley Group||Assistant Underwriter||Beecher Carlson||Risk Analyst||Beecher Carlson||Risk Analyst||Brown & Riding Insurance Services||Production Assistant||Capstone Financial, LLC||Operations Specialist||CBIZ||Business Development Associate||Chastain and Associates Insurance Agency||Personal Lines Account Manager||Chubb||Associate Underwriter||Claxton Smalls||Sterilization Specialist||Clover Insurance Service||Agent of Commercial Insurance Team||Colonial Life||Agent||CRC Insurance Services||Account Executive||CRC Insurance Services||Associate Team Lead||CRC Insurance Services||Broker Assistant||CRC Insurance Services||Account Executive||CRC Insurance Services||Account Executive||CRC Insurance Services||Account Executive||CRC Insurance Services||Account Executive||Cross Country Locums||Assistant Account Executive||Deloitte||Application and Program Analyst||Deloitte||Analyst||Dr. Rich McCormick for Congress||Deputy Finance Director||Ernst & Young||Business Consultant||Everest Insurance||Associate Underwriter||Evolve MGA||Associate Underwriter||Gen Star||Underwriter Trainee||Goldman Sachs||Risk Analyst||GPS Hospitality||Risk Analyst||Great American Insurance Group||Financial Products Underwriter I||Greyling Insurance Brokerage & Risk Consulting||Account Specialist||Griffith Propagation Nursery Inc.||Sales Manager||Harry Daniel Insurance||Commercial Lines Producer||Higginbotham||Commercial Lines Trainee||Higginbotham||Account Associate||Hitchcock Insurance||Associate Underwriter||IFG Companies||Underwriter Trainee||Innovative Painting and Graphic Services Inc.||Chief Operations Officer||Jacobs Media Corp||Sales||James River Insurance Company||Underwriter Associate||Keeglee Atlanta||Manager||Keller Williams||Real Estate Agent||Koch Industries||Tax Analyst||Liberty Mutual Company||Underwriter||Liberty Mutual Company||Auto Claims Customer Representative||Liberty Mutual Company||Underwriting Trainee||Liberty Mutual Company||Underwriting Trainee||Liberty Mutual Company||Underwriting Trainee||Liberty Mutual Company||Underwriting Trainee||Lockton Companies||Account Analyst||Markel||Underwriting Support Specialist||Marquee Insurance Group||Inside Sales Representative||Marquee Insurance Group||Operations Specialist||Marsh & McLennan Agency, LLC||TRAC Associate||Marsh & McLennan Agency, LLC||TRAC Associate||Marsh & McLennan Agency, LLC||TRAC Associate||Marsh & McLennan Agency, LLC||Senior Account Representative||Marsh & McLennan Agency, LLC||Account Associate||Marsh & McLennan Agency, LLC||Business Insurance Producer||McGriff||Commercial Marketing Assistant||McGriff||Commercial Insurance Sales Agent||Mercedes-Benz USA||Sales Consultant||Nationwide Insurance||Underwriter||Nautilus Insurance Group||Underwriting Trainee||NCR Corporation||Business Analyst||NVR, Inc.||Mortgage Loan Processor||Optomi Professional Services||Human Resources Coordinator||Oracle||Business Development Consultant||Origami Risk||Risk System Analyst||Origami Risk||Business Systems Analyst||Origami Risk||Risk System Analyst||Origami Risk||Risk System Analyst||Pender & Associates||Account Manager||Philadelphia Insurance Companies||Marketing Associate||Philadelphia Insurance Companies||M&PL Underwriter Trainee||Plumbing Distributors, Inc.||Corporate Management Trainee||Praxis Insurance Associates||Underwriter Analyst||Praxis Insurance Associates||Underwriter Analyst||Praxis Insurance Associates||Underwriter Analyst||Praxis Insurance Associates||Underwriter Analyst||Praxis Insurance Associates||Underwriter Analyst||Pritchard & Jerden||Account Analyst||Quincy Mutual Insurance Group||Actuarial Analyst||Realty Atlanta||Sales Associate||Risk Placement Services||Brokerage Placement Specialist||Sedgwick||Claims Associate||Sedgwick||Claims Adjuster||Sedgwick||Claims Associate||Sedgwick||Claims Associate||Seneca Insurance Company||Associate Underwriter Trainee||Simple Solar||Sales Consultant||Sompo International||Underwriter||Sompo International||Actuarial Trainee||South Georgia Dental Management LLC||M&A Analyst||Starr Insurance Companies||Underwriting Associate||Starr Insurance Companies||Aviation/Aerospace Associate Underwriter||Starr Insurance Companies||Underwriting Associate||Starr Insurance Companies||Underwriting Associate||State Farm||Service and Reception Specialist||State Farm||Account Representative||State Farm||P&C Personal Lines Auto Underwriter||Sterling Seacrest Pritchard||Client Service Assistant||Tennessee Valley Authority||Financial Services Associate||Tokio Marine HCC||Surety Underwriting Trainee||Towersource, LLC||Project Coordinator||Travelers Insurance||Underwriter||USI||Commercial Lines Associate||USI||Not Specified||USI||Commercial Lines Account Representative||Utica National Insurance Group||Commercial Underwriting Associate||Utica National Insurance Group||Commercial Underwriting Associate||Utica National Insurance Group||Commercial Underwriting Associate||Wells Fargo||Investment Banking Analyst||Willis Towers Watson||Graduate Development Program - Analyst||Willis Towers Watson||Corporate Risk and Broking Cyber Analyst||Willis Towers Watson||Corporate Risk & Broking GDP Analyst||Willis Towers Watson||Reinsurance Analyst||Willis Towers Watson||Corporate Risk & Broking Analyst||Willis Towers Watson||Actuarial Analyst||Zurich North America||Underwriting Associate||Zurich North America||Underwriting Trainee|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2020 Risk Management and Insurance majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Atlanta's John Marshall Law School||Law, JD||Columbia University||Enterprise Risk Management, MS||Florida State University||Law, JD||Georgia Institute of Technology||Quantitative and Computational Finance, MS||Georgia State University||Actuarial Science, MS||Hofstra University||Law, JD||St. John's University||Enterprise Risk Management, MS||University of Georgia||Financial Planning, MS||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of South Carolina||Law, JD||University of South Carolina||Law, JD|