What Can I Do With a Major In Risk Management and Insurance ?
UGA Specific Information for Risk Management and Insurance
Risk management and insurance professionals focus on the function of executive leadership in handling risks facing the business enterprise. The risk management and insurance industry offers careers that help individuals and businesses manage (or anticipate) risk to protect themselves from catastrophic losses. These professionals help clients understand their insurance needs and options. The first thing that comes to mind for most people when they think of jobs in insurance is sales - but that’s only one aspect of the field. Other areas include consulting, underwriting, asset management, human resources, customer service, actuarial and legal services. Some Risk Management majors pursue related Terry College certificate programs, such as the Certificate in Legal Studies or the Actuarial Science certificate. These qualifications require specific coursework and are closely tied to the student’s career interests.
Class of 2022 Career Outcomes for Risk Management and Insurance *
** Includes Self-Employed
- Umesh Patel, Terry College of Business Career Consultant (Management, Marketing, RMI & Real Estate)
- Courtney Gray, Academic Advisor
- Zach Thrift, Academic Advisor
- Risk Management and Insurance Homepage
- Risk Management and Insurance Career Resources Page
Clubs & Organizations
To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
POTENTIAL CAREER PATHS
- Actuary - Analyze statistical data, such as mortality, accident, sickness, disability, and retirement rates and construct probability tables to forecast risk and liability for payment of future benefits. May ascertain insurance rates required and cash reserves necessary to ensure payment of future benefits.
- Claims - Review settled insurance claims to determine that payments and settlements have been made in accordance with company practices and procedures. Report overpayments, underpayments, and other irregularities. Confer with legal counsel on claims requiring litigation.
- Insurance Broker or Agent - Investigate, analyze, and determine the extent of insurance company's liability concerning personal, casualty, or property loss or damages, and attempt to effect settlement with claimants. Correspond with or interview medical specialists, agents, witnesses, or claimants to compile information. Calculate benefit payments and approve payment of claims within a certain monetary limit.
- Risk Analyst - Analyze and manage risk management issues by identifying, measuring, and making decisions on operational or enterprise risks for an organization.
- Insurance Underwriter - Review individual applications for insurance to evaluate degree of risk involved and determine acceptance of applications.
The Risk Management and Insurance Department at UGA does an excellent job of connecting students with career opportunities. Take advantage of these resources during your time in school – join one of the professional associations, subscribe to the department’s listserv, and attend campus events such as employer information sessions and the RMI Career Fair held each spring.
COMPANY & SALARY RESEARCH
- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords.
- Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well.
- To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- Interstride - View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides
- Glassdoor - Glassdoor is a free jobs and career community that offers the world an inside look at jobs and companies. What sets us apart is our "employee generated content" – anonymous salaries, company reviews, interview questions, and more – all posted by employees, job seekers, and sometimes the companies themselves. Now with nearly 3 million salaries and reviews, you have all the information you might need to make your next career decision.
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Terry Connect - Terry's online mentorship platform. By creating an online profile during the active enrollment period (mid-late August) students will be matched with a mentor in their prospective industry for advice on job/internship searches, interview skills, and professional development. Students are also able to engage with alumni and each other on discussion boards and in special interest groups.
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- Handshake (UGA's online internship and job board) *Login with your MyID and password
- Idealist (nonprofit jobs)
- USAJobs (federal jobs)
- LinkedIn Job Board
MAJOR/CAREER SPECIFIC JOB BOARDS:
- Actuary.com (Actuary Jobs)
- BankJobs.com (Bank Related Jobs)
- Global Association of Risk Professionals Career Center
- InsuranceJobs.com (Insurance Jobs)
- UltimateInsuranceJobs.com (Insurance Jobs)
- InsuranceJournal.com (Insurance Jobs)
- GreatInsuranceJobs.com (Insurance Jobs)
- InsuranceWorkforce.com (Insurance Jobs)
- GovernmentJobs.com (Risk Management Government Jobs)
- American Society for Health Care Risk Management (Health Care Risk Management Jobs)
- Professional Risk Managers’ Association Career Center
- Risk and Insurance Management Society Career Center
- Public Agency Risk Managers Association Job Listings Page
- Be an Actuary
- American Property Casualty Insurance Association
- American Institute for CPCU and Insurance Institute of America
- American Risk and Insurance Association
- Association of Professional Insurance Women
- Council of Insurance Agents and Brokers
- Insurance Information Institute
- The Association of Insurance Professionals
- National Association of Professional Insurance Agents
- NAPSLO Career Center and Internships
- Professional Risk Managers’ Association
- Public Risk Management Association
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2022 Risk Management and Insurance majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Accenture||Sales Development Representative||ADP||Associate District Manager||AIG||Enterprise Risk Management Analyst||AIG||Underwriter Associate||Allianz||Associate Graduate Actuary||American Airlines||Flight Attendant||AmWINS||Technician assistant||Amwins||Associate Broker||Aon||Associate Account Executive||Aon||Associate Broker||Aon||Associate Broker||Aon||Associate Broker||Aon||Account Representative Trainee||Aon||Actuarial Analyst||Applied Risk Solutions||Assistant Risk Manager||Atlanta International Education Group||Data Analyst||Auto Owners Insurance||Auto Claims Adjuster||AvalonBay Communities||Risk Analyst||AXIS Capital||Business Analyst||Bank of America||Global Risk Analyst||Bass Underwriters||Underwriting Assistant||Bass Underwriters||Assistant Underwriter||Beazley||Miscellaneous Medical Underwriter||Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance||Associate Underwriter||Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance||Associate Underwriter||Boston Consulting Group||Finance Assistant||Brown & Brown Insurance||Risk Analyst||Burns & Wilcox||Brokerage Assistant||Burns & Wilcox||Associate Underwriter||Chubb||Cyber/Professional Liability Associate Underwriter||Chubb||Associate Commercial Underwriter||Chubb||Inland Marine Underwriter||Chubb||Underadding Associate||CKFIS INC. DBA Cal-Kor insurance services||P&C Underwriter||CNA Corporation||Underwriter Trainee||Construction Risk Partners||Account Manager||Deloitte||Application and Program Analyst||Deloitte||Application and Program Analyst||Delta Life Insurance||Agent||Dominium||Development Analyst||Engle Martin & Associates||Claims Adjuster Trainee||Enterprise Holdings||Management Trainee||Ethical Systems||Project Manager||EY||Enterprise Risk Services Consultant||FirstKey Homes||Risk Management Analyst||Gallagher||Financial Benefits Consultant||GEICO||Leadership Development Program||Grayling Specialty Insurance Brokerage||Account Specialist||Great American Custom Insurance Services||Associate Underwriter I||Great American Insurance Group||Underwriter||Greatling Insurance Brokerage||Account Specialist||Guy Carpenter||Risk Analyst||IAT Insurance Group||Underwriter Trainee||Insight Global||Recruiter||Insurance Planning, Inc.||Account Representative/Client Service Representative||James Bates Brannan Groover LLP||Office Clerk||James River Insurance||Associate Underwriter||Juneau Construction Company||Risk Analyst||Kemp for Governor||Regional Field Director||Kemp for Governor||Regional Field Director||Kemper||Market Analyst||Kemper||Market Analyst||Kemper Corporation||Market Analyst||Kinsale Insurance||Associate Underwriter||Liberty Mutual Insurance||Commercial Property Underwriter||Liberty Mutual Insurance||Underwriter Trainee||Lockton Companies||Account Analyst||Lockton Companies||Account Analyst||Markel||Commercial Wholesale Excess Casualty||Markel||Underwriter||Markel||Underwriter Trainee||Marquee Insurance Co.||Insurance Producer||Marquee Insurance Co.||Sales Representative||Marquee Insurance Co.||Renewal Representative||Marquee Insurance Co.||Renewals Marketing Assistant||Marsh Mclennan||Associate||McGriff Insurance Broker||Insurance Client Service Agent||ModusMark||Content Writer - Account Coordinator||MTR Corporation||Customer Service Manager||Origami Risk||Business Analyst||Origami Risk||Business Systems Analyst||Origami Risk||Business Systems Analyst||OuterBridge Risk Advisors||Intern||Palmer and Cay||Analyst||Peachtree Special Risk Brokers, LLC||Assistant Broker||Peachtree Special Risk Brokers, LLC||Assistant Broker||Perficient||Associate Business Consultant||Philips North America||Associate Account Manager||Pinnacle Actuarial Resources||Actuarial Analyst||Prep Baseball Report||Director of Baseball Operations and Personnel||PricewaterhouseCoopers||Associate||QuadScore Insurance Services||Cannabis Underwriting Specialist||Republic Finance||Assistant Branch Manager||Republic Finance||Assistant Branch Manager||reThought Insurance||Underwriting Assistant||Rokstone Construction Risk Underwriters||Risk Analyst||RT Specialty||Account Administrator||RT Specialty||Associate||Ryan Turner (RT) Specialty||Broker's Assistant||Sedgwick||Claims Adjuster||Seneca Insurance||Underwriter Trainee||Sony Pictures Entertainment||Administrative Assistant||State Farm||Agent Aspirant||State Farm||Dan Babb Agent Team Member||Sterling Seacrest Partners||Client Service Assistant||Sterling Seacrest Pritchard||Client Service Assistant||Swiss Re||Underwriting Assistant||Taylor Morrison||Financial Analyst||Tokio Marine||Frontline Leadership Program||Tokio Marine HCC - Stop Loss Group||Frontline Leadership Team||Tokio Marine HCC - Stop Loss Group||Operations Lead||Travelers Insurance Company||Underwriter Trainee||Travelers Insurance Company||Underwriter Trainee||Travelers Insurance Company||Operations Excellence Consultant||Trimont Real Estate Advisors||Analyst||USI Insurance Services||Commercial Lines Account Representative||Waller Group||Junior Associate||Westchester, A Chubb Company||Chubb Associate||Willis Towers Watson||Client Manager||Willis Towers Watson||Analyst||WTW||Corporate Risk & Broking GDP Analyst||Zurich North America||Claims Specialist|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2022 Risk Management and Insurance majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School||Law, JD/PhD||Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School||Law, JD/PhD||Case Western Reserve University||Finance, Not Specified||Columbia University||Not Specified||Georgia State University||Law, JD||Hult International Business School||International Business, MS||Samford University||Law, JD||Tennessee College of Law||Law, JD||University of Georgia||Business, Not Specified||University of Georgia||Business Analytics, MSBA||University of Georgia||Emerging Media, MA||University of Michigan - Ann Arbor||Law, JD||University of Virginia||Law, JD|