What Can I Do With a Major In Theatre?
UGA Specific Information for Theatre
Theatre is a creative art in which true excellence can only be achieved through total mastery of the mind, body and technical craft. The Theatre Arts curricula combine rigorous studio class work with a demanding production schedule to provide students with in depth training and practice in theatre. Undergraduate training options include acting, scenic, costume and lighting design, theatre and costume technology, and production and management training. First year students learn a foundation in theatre and its history, expository writing, art history and receive a specially designed theatre course relating to the student's area of interest. Students begin intensive theatre study as sophomores. The continued development of the visual media is expanding the volume of opportunities for majors in theatre. Networking, job experience, internships and expertise in your specialty are paramount to success.
Graduates with degrees in Theatre frequently work in or go on to graduate programs in a wide range of fields, including theatre and film (acting, film production, stage management, directing, arts administration, design, playwriting, dramaturgy) as well as business, law, telecommunications, and other people-related disciplines. Theatre produces students who are well-rounded people with a wide range of abilities—who are comfortable working as a team, can think on their feet, take risks, analyze situations thoroughly, communicate effectively, and produce excellent results under pressure. These are precisely the kinds of abilities employers in business and industry look for in an employee, not only in theatre and film but in virtually every other field.
Class of 2022 Career Outcomes for Theatre*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Department of Theatre and Film Studies UGA
- Ideas for Creative Exploration (ICE)
- UGA Performing Arts Center
- The Arts at UGA
- Theatre and Film Studies Facebook Page
- Theatre and Film Studies Flickr Page
- Theatre Twitter Page
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the UGA Involvement Network
- Athens-Clarke County Theatre & Drama Information
- Connect with your MarKeicha Dickens, your Career Consultant
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Get involved and build your resume early. Join LinkedIn to start builiding your network. Consider internships and volunteer opportunities to demonstrate work ethic and experience through-out your resume. Join student organizations that fit your interests and career goals. Also, consider informational interviews of professionals within your field. Visit the career center website or career guide for more information about informational interviewing including questions to ask.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- LinkedIn (Build your network)
- LinkedIn Career Insights Tool (search what uga alumni do, what they studied, what they are skilled at, where they live, where they work and what they are skilled at
- UGA Mentor Program - Networking with your Bulldog family can help you get ahead in life and career, but where do you even start? The UGA Mentor Program narrows down the world of possibilities to meaningful connections. It personalizes the mentoring experience; connecting you with mentors that are just right for your commitment.. There's a better way to network. Visit mentor.uga.edu today and find a mentor who can help you see your future.
- Entertainment Careers
- KFTV (Find international production companies, services and crew)
- Showbiz Jobs.Com
- The Art Career Project
- American Association of Community Theatre
- Southeastern Theatre Conference
- The Broadway League
- Playwrights' Center
- National Association of Dramatic Speech Arts
- Association for Theater in Higher Education
- International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees
- The Federation of Drama Schools
- The Spotlight
- Theatre Communications Group
- International Society for the Performing Arts
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2022 Theatre majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Crazy Legs Productions
|Encompass Digital Media
|Live Master Control Operator
|The TJX Companies, Inc.
|Customer Experience Coordinator
|Assistant Account Executive
|Artistic Director Assistant
Possible Employers Who May Hire UGA Theatre Majors
Actors Express | Altman Plants | Aurora Theatre | Broadway Across America | Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre | Coker College | Epic Systems Corporation | Fox Stage Productions | ISG Partners | Mastermind Involvement Marketing | McCullough Payne & Haan LLC | Meltwater Group | Oconee Civic Center | Peace Corps | Resolution Technologies Inc. | Riverstone Retirement Community | Sapp Professional Service | SeaWorld | Serenbe Playhouse | Shakespeare Tavern | Studio Theatre | T.J. Maxx | Teach for America | Television and Film Studios | The Alliance Theatre | The Walt Disney Company | The Walt Disney World Resort | Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. | Uber | University of Georgia
Possible Job Titles for UGA Theatre Majors
Administrative Specialist | Assistant Account Executive | Assistant Technical Director and Facilities Manager | Assistant to the Creative Director | Associate Recruiter | Clerk | Company Manager | Concierge | Crew | Driver | Front End Associate and Women's Associate | Lead Production Coordinator | Legal Assistant | Marketing Assistant | Performer | Production Coordinator for Cartoon Network | Receptionist | Recruiting/Sales Coordinator | Sales Development Representative | Site Coordinator | Software Test Analyst | Stage Manager | Supervisor | Teaching English as a Second Language
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2022 Theatre majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2022 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|University of Georgia
|Nonprofit Mgmt. Leadership, Not Specified