What Can I Do With a Major In Turfgrass Management?
UGA Specific Information for Turfgrass Management
Turfgrass management is the study of the science and culture of fine grasses that are used on golf courses, athletic fields, home lawns, and other areas requiring an attractive but functional ground cover. Increasing interest in outdoor recreational activities as well as aesthetically appealing landscaped areas has created a demand for professional turfgrass managers.
The turfgrass industry in Georgia is estimated at more than one billion dollars. Completion of the turfgrass management major will allow a student the opportunity to pursue a career in golf course, athletic field, park, school, and commercial grounds management. There are many openings in the relatively new chemical lawn care industry as well as with sod production, lawn maintenance, and landscaping firms. Other opportunities include the need for well-trained individuals in the areas of turfgrass seed, chemical, and equipment sales and service. Some graduates have obtained employment in the irrigation design and installation segment of the industry, while others have found challenging careers in university research, private consulting, or with the Cooperative Extension Service. The current and future outlook for job availability is excellent.
Class of 2021 Career Outcomes for Turfgrass Management*
** Includes Self-Employed
To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
Connect with your Career Consultant for guidance and support.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Students that major in turfgrass management typically go on to work in golf course maintenance, professional lawn care, grounds maintenance, sod production, sales and service, athletic field maintenance, or research support.
If you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree, check out our website for assistance with this process
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Georgia Career Information Center (accessible only on campus computers)
- Firsthand (Explore a library of guides, articles, and other resources to help you explore careers, plan your job search, and learn about different work environments. Create a free account with your UGA email.)
- Candid Career (Watch recorded informational interviews of professionals in specific careers. Filter videos by career title, college major, industry, and more.)
- The Golf Course Superintendents Association of America
- Sports Turf Managers Association
- Georgia Green Industry Association
- American Horticultural Society
- American Society for Horticultural Science
- Crop Science Society of America
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Employers/Position Title Reported by Class of 2021 Turfgrass Management majors
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2021 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|Druid Hills Golf Club||Assistant in Training||Green Tea Golf||Not Specified|
Graduate/Professional Schools attended by Class of 2021 Turfgrass Management majors
The information below represents graduate/professional schools and programs reported through the Class of 2020 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.