What Can I Do With a Major In Water and Soil Resources?
UGA Specific Information for Water and Soil Resources
The Water and Soil Resources major emphasizes assessment, conservation, and rehabilitation of the soil, water, and wetland components of the natural landscape. The core curriculum is broad-based, furnishing a comprehensive understanding of the physical and biological elements of the natural environment, an appreciation of the social, political, and economic forces that influence natural resources policy decisions, and the ability to analyze natural resources problems to forge realistic solutions. Graduates frequently take employment with environmental consulting firms, public regulatory agencies, and corporations that utilize natural resources or conservation organizations.
Class of 2019 Career Outcomes for Water and Soil Resources*
** Includes Self-Employed
- College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Clubs and Organizations
- Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS)
- Soil Judging Team
- Alpha Gamma Rho (Men pursuing careers in agriculture)
- Sigma Alpha (Women pursuing careers in agriculture)
- Warnell School Student Organizations
- Soil and Water Conservation Society
- UGA Mentor Program
To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
Connect with your Career Consultant
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Through appropriate choice of electives, students can meet the educational requirements for Certified Soil Scientist (by the Soil Science Society of America) and/or prepare for the certified hydrologist exam offered by the American Institute of Hydrologists.
If you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree, check out our website for assistance with this process
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Georgia Career Information Center (accessible only on campus computers)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Warnell School of Forestry & Natural Resources Job Site
- Soil and Water Conservation Society
- American Water Resources Association Job board
- The Environmental Careers Organization
- Forest, Range, and Wildland Soils Job Board
- Science Societies Career Center
- American Water Works Association Career Center
- Georgia Soil and Water Conservation Commission Career Information
- Environmental Career Opportunities
- AgriCareers, Inc.
- USA Jobs
- Soil Science Society of America
- American Water Resources Association
- Crop Science Society of America
- Georgia Soil and Water Conservation Commission
- Natural Resource Conservation Service
- Soil & Water Conservation Society
- American Institute of Hydrology
- Agriculture Future of America
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
The information below represents employers and position titles from the Class of 2019 Career Outcomes Survey. To view historical Career Outcomes for this major, click here and select "Historical Data" from the navigation menu.
|ERM||Staff Consultant Level 1||Natural Resources Conservation Service||Soil Conservationist|
GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS ATTENDED BY UGA Water and Soil Resources - Bachelor's Degree MAJORS FOR THE CLASS OF 2019**
|University of Georgia||Crop and Soil Sciences, MS||Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University||Biological Sciences, Not Specified|