The University of Georgia Career Center and the Alumni Association have partnered to offer students and alumni a new, innovative way to connect through a virtual platform. These events, which will be entitled UGA Virtual Networking Hour, will allow students to connect with alumni around the world.
The first student-alumni event, Advice from the Big Dawgs, will occur on Wednesday, September 30 from 12:00-1:00 pm. Students will have the opportunity to make meaningful connections with UGA alumni in the following industries:
- Arts, Media, and Communications
- Business and Economics
- Education, Training, and Social Services
- Health Sciences, Nursing, Medicine, and Public Health
- Public Policy, Government, Law, and International Development and Affairs
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
How does it work?
Via desktop or mobile device (no app necessary!), students can participate in up to one hour of 10-minute, one-on-one, text-based chats with UGA alumni. Join in from campus, home, or even a coffee shop. After each event, students can then access the transcript of each conversation to follow up with the alumni they got to know during the event.
Students often struggle with how to begin these conversations, and we encourage coming up with a quick conversation starter, as well as follow up questions to enhance the networking experience.
Conversation starters could begin with: “Hi, how are you today?”, “Greetings from UGA! How are you?”, “Hello from an English major at UGA! How are you?”, etc.
Questions to consider asking alumni:
- What did you study at UGA?
- What do you do professionally?
- What is your favorite and least favorite aspect of your job?
- Why did you decide to participate in this event?
- Can I ask for your advice on ____?
- If you could do one thing differently in your career, what would it be?
Who should participate?
The University of Georgia’s 280,000+ alumni live across the globe, and now students have the opportunity to connect with these alum!
Our hope is that STUDENTS will participate to learn from alumni who are now professionals and that ALUMNI will participate to share insights and advice to students for the working world. UGA creates fantastic graduates and citizens. Let’s keep that tradition alive. Join us in this initiative!
Any questions about this new initiative can be addressed through Bethany Mills va email.