What can I do with a major in Accounting?
UGA Specific Information for Accounting
The J. M. Tull School of Accounting prepares students for careers as professional accountants, whether as tax experts, members of management, computer systems specialists, or as certified public accountants. The curriculum acknowledges that accountants also need to be competent business people. Thus, the academic program includes a significant exposure to courses in business, economics, and management and is designed to give the student an understanding of the theory of accounting as it is used in our society. An accounting education provides an excellent background for non-business professions, such as law, and is helpful for advancement to top-level management positions. Because of the various areas within accounting, BBA students are given a broad background of accounting classes to provide the basic tools to enter an accounting position. Should a student wish to specialize in a specific area, he or she would need to pursue the Master of Accountancy that allows specializations in Audit, Taxation, or Systems.
Employers Hiring UGA Accounting for the Class of 2016*
Alan’s Flooring Services | Amazon.com, Inc. | Arogeti & Wynne, LLP | BDO USA, LLP | Bennett Thrasher LLP | Capgemini | Cherry Bekaert LLP | Citigroup Inc. | CohnReznick LLP | CPAs | Credit Suisse Group | Deloitte | Electrostatic Spraying Systems, Inc. | Elliott Davis Decosimo, LLC | EY | First Data Corporation | Frazier & Deeter, LLC | FTI Consulting, Inc. | Grant Thornton LLP | Habif | KPMG US LLP | MI Technologies, Inc. | Mollertech LLC | Moore Colson | P.A. | Porter Keadle Moore | PricewaterhouseCoopers | PwC LLP | R | RSM US LLP | Salo & Walker | SKAPS Industries | The Boston Consulting Group | The Hurst Company | The University of Georgia | Tri Star Sports and Entertainment | Trinity Accounting Group | Trinity Baptist Church | Wells Fargo & Company | Windham Brannon | YRC Freight | Zaxby’s Franchising, Inc.
Job Titles of UGA Accounting Majors for the Class of 2016*
Accountant | Accounting Analyst | Associate | Associate - Forensic & Investigations | Associate Accountant | Associate, Audit | Associate, Transaction Services Capital Markets & Accounting Advisory Services | Assurance Associate | Audit Assistant | Audit Associate | Audit Staff | Auditing Associate | Business Analyst | CFO/Sales Manager | Consultant | Crew Leader | Financial Accounting Advisory Services Associate | Financial Services Risk Advisor Staff | Graduate Assistant | Investment Banking Analyst | Investment Banking Summer Analyst | IT Auditing and Assurance Associate | Legal Assistant | Maintainence | Operations Trainee | Opperations | Recreational Sports Utility Worker | Risk Assurance Associate | Risk Assurance Staff | Risk Management Specialist | Staff | Staff Accountant | Staff Accountant - Client Accounting Services | Staff Auditor | Tax Associate | Tax Preparer | Tax Staff Accountant | Worship Leader
Graduate/Professional Schools Attended by UGA Accounting Majors for the Class of 2016*
Georgia State University | Kennesaw State University | Marist College | The University of California, Irvine | The University of Georgia | The University of Notre Dame du Lac | The University of Virginia | Tulane University | Wake Forest University
UGA Accounting Career Outcomes for the Class of 2016*
** Includes Self-Employed
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
- Maintain a competitive overall and major GPA, ideally a 3.4 GPA or higher. Your ability to excel in the classroom is an indication that you have an understanding of accounting principles and rules that must be applied when performing your job as an accountant.
- Participate in leadership development programs sponsored by larger public accounting firms. Many students are offered internships as a result of participating in the leadership development programs.
- Attend “socials” hosted by employers. Many “socials” are invitation only events.
- Develop strong leadership, communication, and team work skills by getting involved in clubs and student organizations.
- Participate in an internship to gain real experience as an accountant.
- When eligible, join Beta Alpha Psi, an honor society for accounting majors.
- Accept constructive criticism on how to improve your skills and abilities.
- The accounting recruiting season occurs in the fall semester; therefore, conducting your job or internship search in the fall semester is crucial.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (type in your 810# and click on "Career Insider" to explore various interview and industry guides)
- Candid Career (type in your 810# and click on "Candid Career" to view professionals speaking about their careers)
- Handshake (scroll down to the bottom of the page; login with your UGA MyID and password)
- Idealist (nonprofit jobs)
- USAJobs (federal jobs)
- American Accounting Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Georgia Society of CPAs
- Institute of Internal Auditors
- Association of Government Accountants
- National Association of Black Accountants
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.