What can I do with a major in Advertising?
UGA Specific Information for Advertising
Advertising aims to educate students about the role of advertising, public relations and marketing communication in business and in the social and economic orders. The advertising department seeks to acquaint students with advertising in a variety of contexts and from a number of different viewpoints. It attempts to explain why businesses and others use advertising as a form of communication; how advertising affects the mass media; how advertising is used by consumers in making buying decisions; how advertising is controlled and regulated; and what effects advertising has on the economy. People who work in advertising include artists, statisticians, writers, psychologists, salespeople, researchers, designers, managers, account planners, analysts, and others. Studying advertising will not train the student in any one of the specialized skill areas, but will give the students an overall understanding of how these skills are brought together and used to help solve advertising communication problems.
Employers Hiring UGA Advertising for the Class of 2016*
22squared | AdvoCare International, LP | Ahavath Achim Synagogue | Airgas | AmericasMart Atlanta | Apollo Education Group, Inc. | Apple Inc. | AR New York | BBDO Atlanta | BBM | Bellfounder LLC | Blue Sky Agency | Boscia, LLC | Bounce TV | Brilio.net | Carat | Chemistry Atlanta | College Fresh | Community Bankers Association of Georgia | Custom Signs & Designs | Destination South Meetings & Events | Dimensional Fund Advisors | Dollar Tree, Inc. | Edge Research | Entourage Clothing & Gifts | Europe2You | ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. | Garnish & Gather | Graebel Companies, Inc. | Hormel Foods Corporation | iHeartMedia, Inc. | Industrious | JCPenney | Ketchum Inc. | Kevin Price Construction | KMS Technology, Inc. | LifeWay Christian Resources | Live Nation Entertainment | M-Squared Public Relations | Marbury Creative Group | Mindshare | Mondo | Moxie | MRM//McCann | N3 | Navicent Health | Nebo Agency | Nevo Agency | Newell Brands | Nolan Transportation Group, Inc. | North Highland | Northwestern Mutual | Ogilvy & Mather | Onward Reserve | Paragon Marketing Group, LLC | PHD Media Worldwide | PrimeSport | Publicis Groupe | PureRED Integrated Marketing | Razorfish | Republic National Distributing Company | Resolution Media | Resurgens Hospitality Group | Rocket Software, Inc. | RoundSphere, LLC | RueBelle Designs LLC | Rush Athens | SapientNitro | See.Spark.Go | Sephora | Softchoice | SP+ (SP Plus) | Spruill Gallery | SSCG Media Group | St. Francis Schools | Steamboat Pilot and Today | Stryker Corporation | TBWA Worldwide | Techtronic Industries Company Limited | The Allstate Corporation | The Boston Consulting Group | The Buntin Group | The Inn at Serenbe | The Maker’s Post | The Marketing Arm | The University of Georgia | The Walt Disney World Resort | Travel Spike | Vert Mobile | Vestigo Adventures, LLC | Victory Packaging | VML | Wikia, Inc. | Winter Construction Company | Young Life
Job Titles of UGA Advertising Majors for the Class of 2016*
Academic Enhancement Teacher | Account Coordinator | Account Director | Account Executive | Administrative Assistant | Advertising Coordinator | Advertising Director | Advertising Operations Analyst | Analyst | Assistant Account Executive | Assistant Analyst Digital Investment | Assistant Brand Manager | Assistant Broadcast Negotiator | Assistant Chef Operations Officer | Assistant Digital Investment | Assistant Manager Merchandise Trainee | Assistant Media Planner | Assistant Store Manager | Assistant Strategist | Associate Account Planner | Associate Financial Representative | Associate Project Manager | Associate Social Engagement Coordinator | Associate, Paid Search and Social | Auxiliary Services Graphic Designer | Beauty Advisor | Brand Director/ MarketingTrainee | Business Development Representative | Campaign Coordinator | Cashier/Parking Deck Attendant | Classified Advertising Consultant | Communications Specialist | Community Coordinator | Concierge | Content Writer and Editor | Creative Consultant | DeanQQs Office Clerk | Development Officer | Digital Marketing Specialist | Digital Media Coordinator | Event Assistant Lead | Executive Assistant | Executive Search Consultant | Flight Attendant | Food Service Sales Representative | Gallery Assistant | Graphic Designer | Human Resources Communications Coordinator | Independent Distributor | Junior Associate | Junior Paid Media Specialist | Marketing & Communications Associate | Marketing & Graphic Design Coordinator | Marketing Administrator | Marketing and Institutional Services Rotational Program Analyst | Marketing and Sales Representative | Marketing Coordinator | Marketing Coordinator / Graphic Designer | Marketing/Ad Operations Associate | Media Billing Coordinator | Media Buyer | Media Coordinator | Merchandise Assistant | Multichannel Media Coordinator | Navigation Support Specialist | Omnicom-Grady Future Leaders Fellow | Operations Specialist | Production Assistant | Project Coordinator | Project Management | Recreational Sports Utility Worker | Recruiting Coordinator | Relocation Coordinator | Research Assistant | Sales Assistant | Sales Coordinator | Sales Representative | Showroom Assistant and Model | Social Media Coordinator | Technical Support Advisor | Territory Sales Representative | The Inn and Farmhouse at Serenbe Marketing Representative | Total Access Specialist | VIP Room Manager at Lakewood Amphitheater | Wholesale Account Executive
Graduate/Professional Schools Attended by UGA Advertising Majors for the Class of 2016*
Georgia State University | Mercer University | Miami Ad School | Northwestern University | Pace University | The Creative Circus | The University of Georgia | The University of Louisiana at Lafayette | The University of Pennsylvania | Virginia Commonwealth University
UGA Advertising Career Outcomes for the Class of 2016*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Ad Club
- American Marketing Association
- The Association for Women in Sports Media at the University of Georgia
- Creative Consultants
- International Association of Business Communicators
- National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) – UGA Chapter
- Online News Association / Society of Professional Journalists at UGA
- Pandora Yearbook
- The Professional Entertainment & Sports Association (PESA)
- Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)
- Talking Dog Advertising
- The Red and Black
- Women in Sports and Events (WISE) – UGA Chapter
- UGA Critical Media Studies Interest Group (aka Culture Club)
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
- Connect with your Career Consultant.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Knowledge/Skills Needed in this Industry
- Students interested in the accounts and management side of advertising should consider taking at least one course in marketing, business management, accounting, and/or finance. Try to become proficient in Excel before you graduate.
- Gain practical experience in problem solving, customer service, marketing, writing, management and sales. Gain persuasion skills through sales and learn how to sell your ideas.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, interpersonal skills, teamwork, integrity, organizational and communication skills, and good judgment.
- For students interested in the creative side of advertising, develop and strengthen art skills, creativity and initiative.
- Gain experience with social media marketing using platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Become proficient in social media analytics by using a program like HootSuite.
- More students are becoming proficient in online advertising services such as Google AdWords.
- Get experience with a variety of software programs, including Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Photo Mechanic, Apple - Final Cut Pro X, Audacity and Soundslides. Additionally, Dreamweaver, Macromedia Flash, Adobe Premiere Pro, Avid, and Fireworks are also very useful in the multimedia industry. Lynda is a great, free resource for this.
- Consider enrolling in New Media Certificate courses to gain understanding and proficiency in digital media such as the coding, new technology and social media.
- Create a portfolio of writing samples, ad campaigns, marketing strategies, graphics and ideas. Making an online portfolio is a good way to market your skills for job opportunities by using websites such as Behance, Cargo Collective, Issuu, WordPress and Wix. For more information and platforms, check out Portfolio Resources on the Career Center website.
Campus Involvement, Domestic Field Study and Study Abroad Opportunities
- Participate in organizations such as Ad Club and Talking Dog Advertising, a student-run, full service advertising agency.
- Members of UGA's Ad Club travel to Chicago for an advertising agency tour every fall. In the past, the group has made stops at DDB, Digital Kitchen, Ogilvy, Leo Burnett, and McGarry Bowen to name a few.
- The ADPR department at Grady also offers the NYC Maymester course as a Grady elective. Students spend two weeks in class in Athens, and one week on agency tours in New York. Previous classes have visited Ogilvy & Mather, DDB, Digitas, Translation and Ignition, among many others.
- Join the American Marketing Association at UGA to gain knowledge in marketing strategies and research. You will also gain practical experience in applying social and digital marketing techniques with local and national businesses.
- Students interested in pursuing careers in the creative industry are encouraged to enroll in Summer at the Circus, a partnership between Grady College and The Creative Circus in Atlanta. The Creative Circus is one of the top portfolio schools in the country, offering programs in Art Direction, Copywriting, Design, Image, Interactive Design and several other areas.
- Participate in the UGA Global Advertising and PR Program in China, and learn about brand communication in Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong.
- Consider participating in the UGA Cannes Lions Study Abroad Program, which allows students to attend the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity and witness thousands of ads from around the world being showcased and judged. This opportunity also allows students to network with producers, directors, and actors who have starred in motion pictures.
LinkedIn Groups to Join
- Advertising and PR at UGA Grady College
- Internships and Interns
- University of Georgia Alumni Association Group (UGA)
- University of Georgia Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication Alumni
- Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
- For more information on how to effectively utilize LinkedIn, check out the UGA Career Center's Social Media Guide.
Additional Internship/Job Search Tips
- For additional information on internships and job opportunities, look out for emails sent every Tuesday on the Grady Career Services Update listserv. If you are not on that listserv, sign up for the Grady job leads listserv here.
- Follow @UGAGradyCareers on Twitter for timely job postings and career advice, run by the Grady College Office of Experiential Learning and the UGA Career Center Grady College Career Consultant.
- If you’re interested in working or interning for a specific company, visit that company’s website. Job and internship opportunities are usually listed under the “Careers” tab.
- For a complete list of advertising agencies and PR firms, check out this list compiled by Grady.
- For information about job salary, company reviews, and job openings, visit Glassdoor and CareerBliss.
- For a general job search, visit websites such as Indeed, Monster and Simply Hired.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET Click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (Type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- CareerSearch (Research employers by location and/or industry)
- GoinGlobal (To access GoinGlobal, login to your Handshake account)
- Handshake (Log in with your UGA MyID and password)
- Idealist (Non-profit jobs)
- USAJobs (Federal jobs)
- Ad Council
- Advertising Age
- American Ad Agencies
- American Marketing Association
- Association of National Advertisers
- Brand Republic
- Creative Pool
- Digital Media Jobs Network
- Entertainment Careers
- Journalism Jobs
- Marketing Research Association
- Media Bistro
- Media Post
- National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) Career Center
- Nation Job
- Production Hub
- PR Week Magazine
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA National) Job Center
- PRSA/Georgia Chapter Career Center
- Talent Zoo
- T. Howard Foundation – Diversity in the Media
- Turner Broadcasting System