What can I do with a major in Advertising?
UGA Specific Information for Advertising
Advertising aims to educate students about the role of advertising, public relations and marketing communication in business and in the social and economic orders. The advertising department seeks to acquaint students with advertising in a variety of contexts and from a number of different viewpoints. It attempts to explain why businesses and others use advertising as a form of communication; how advertising affects the mass media; how advertising is used by consumers in making buying decisions; how advertising is controlled and regulated; and what effects advertising has on the economy. People who work in advertising include artists, statisticians, writers, psychologists, salespeople, researchers, designers, managers, account planners, analysts, and others. Studying advertising will not train the student in any one of the specialized skill areas, but will give the students an overall understanding of how these skills are brought together and used to help solve advertising communication problems.
Employers Hiring UGA Advertising for the Class of 2015*
22squared | 97 Degrees West | Abshire Public Relations | Apache Spark | Applied Resource Group | Area 53 | Arketi Group | Artemis Creative | Auto Trader | Avid Bookshop | BBDO Worldwide | Big Communications | Blue Apron, Inc. | Brown & Brown Insurance | Capstone Financial, LLC | CareerBuilder | Children's Healthcare of Atlanta | Cloister Collection | Coffee & Filters Direct | Comcast Spotlight | Connect Marketing Services | Country Club Prep | Cox Media Group | Dentsu Aegis Network | Digital Insight | DigitalSherpa | Diversant, LLC | Dropbox | Eastbay, Inc. | Ernst & Young | Extra Special People | Facebook | Free People | Georgia Student Finance Commission | Hatchery Planning Company | HeavyDuty Branding | Honda Financial Services | IBM | Infinity Marketing | Insightpool | J. Walter Thompson Atlanta | Kforce Staffing & Solutions | Lawncrafters, Inc. | MailChimp | Mandel Media Group | Manna Project International | Marena Group | Mattress Firm | McGraw Hill Education | Meltwater Group | Mindshare | Modern Luxury | Mopdog Creative , Strategy | Moxie | MSLGROUP | NBCUniversal | Object 9 | Omnicom Media Group | Optomi | Overgroup Consulting | Peer39 by Sizmek | PHD Worldwide | Pinnacle Promotions | Premier Beverage | Prestige Staffing | Publicis Worldwide | PureRED | Ralph Lauren | Red Clay Music Foundry | Red Energy | Relus Technologies | RiskIQ | Scripps Networks Interactive | Second Chance Games and Visual Effects | Servpro Industries, Inc. | SocialWorx PR | Sony/ATV Music Publishing | South Magazine | SpotCo | State Bar of Georgia | Styletruist | Talking Dog Advertising | The Boston Consulting Group | The Echelon Group | The Grandparent Gift Company | The Walt Disney Company | Umano Clothing | UPtv | Vinci Family | VML | Whistlebury Properties | World 50 | Zeta Tau Alpha Fraternity | Zimmerman Advertising
Job Titles of UGA Advertising Majors for the Class of 2015*
Account Coordinator | Account Executive | Account Manager | Account Supervisor | Accounts Manager | Administrative Assistant | Art Director | Assistant Account Executive | Assistant Account Manager | Assistant Analyst | Assistant Media Buyer | Assistant Media Planner | Assistant Negotiator | Associate User Experience Designer | Brand Manager | Campus Recruiting Coordinator | Cast Member | Communications Administrative Assistant | Coordinator of Communications and Special Events | Customer Experience Associate | Customer Success Specialist | Digital Activation Assistant | Digital Investment Associate | Digital Media | Digital Media Specialist | Digital Sales Planner | Director of Public Relations & Recruitment | Events and Marketing Coordinator | Financial Customer Service Representative | Front Desk Coordinator | Install Team Member | Integrated Advertising Coordinator | Internal Recruiter | IT Recruiter | Junior Media Planner | Junior Visual Designer | Learning Tech Rep | Management Associate | Marketing | Marketing Account Assistant | Marketing Analyst | Marketing and Sales Associate | Marketing and Scan Technician | Marketing Assistant | Marketing Coordinator | Marketing Coordinator/Account Executive | Marketing Manager | Marketing Project Assistant | Marketing Specialist | Media Buyer | Media Buying Assistant Negotiator | Member Services Coordinator | Multimedia Graphic Designer | Office Assistant Secretary | Producer | Program Analyst | Project Manager | Property Manager | Public Relations and Events | Recruitment Coordinator | Retail Store Manager | Sales | Sales Assistant | Sales Associate | Sales Consultant | Sales Representative | Senior Graphic Designer | SEO Associate | SEO/PR Coordinator | Social Analyst | Social Community Manager | Strategy & Reporting Analyst | Talent Specialist | Tech Support Analyst | Technical Recruiter | Traveling Leadership Consultant | Web Designer | Web Developer
Graduate/Professional Schools Attended by UGA Advertising Majors for the Class of 2015*
Campbell University | Georgia State University | The Creative Circus | The University of Georgia
UGA Advertising Career Outcomes for the Class of 2015*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Ad Club
- American Marketing Association
- The Association for Women in Sports Media at the University of Georgia
- Creative Consultants
- International Association of Business Communicators
- National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) – UGA Chapter
- Online News Association / Society of Professional Journalists at UGA
- Pandora Yearbook
- The Professional Entertainment & Sports Association (PESA)
- Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)
- Talking Dog Advertising
- The Red and Black
- Women in Sports and Events (WISE) – UGA Chapter
- UGA Critical Media Studies Interest Group (aka Culture Club)
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
- Connect with your Career Consultant.
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Knowledge/Skills Needed in this Industry
- Students interested in the accounts and management side of advertising should consider taking at least one course in marketing, business management, accounting, and/or finance. Try to become proficient in Excel before you graduate.
- Gain practical experience in problem solving, customer service, marketing, writing, management and sales. Gain persuasion skills through sales and learn how to sell your ideas.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, interpersonal skills, teamwork, integrity, organizational and communication skills, and good judgment.
- For students interested in the creative side of advertising, develop and strengthen art skills, creativity and initiative.
- Gain experience with social media marketing using platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Become proficient in social media analytics by using a program like HootSuite.
- More students are becoming proficient in online advertising services such as Google AdWords.
- Get experience with a variety of software programs, including Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Photo Mechanic, Apple - Final Cut Pro X, Audacity and Soundslides. Additionally, Dreamweaver, Macromedia Flash, Adobe Premiere Pro, Avid, and Fireworks are also very useful in the multimedia industry. Lynda is a great, free resource for this.
- Consider enrolling in New Media Certificate courses to gain understanding and proficiency in digital media such as the coding, new technology and social media.
- Create a portfolio of writing samples, ad campaigns, marketing strategies, graphics and ideas. Making an online portfolio is a good way to market your skills for job opportunities by using websites such as Behance, Cargo Collective, Issuu, WordPress and Wix. For more information and platforms, check out Portfolio Resources on the Career Center website.
Campus Involvement, Domestic Field Study and Study Abroad Opportunities
- Participate in organizations such as Ad Club and Talking Dog Advertising, a student-run, full service advertising agency.
- Members of UGA's Ad Club travel to Chicago for an advertising agency tour every fall. In the past, the group has made stops at DDB, Digital Kitchen, Ogilvy, Leo Burnett, and McGarry Bowen to name a few.
- The ADPR department at Grady also offers the NYC Maymester course as a Grady elective. Students spend two weeks in class in Athens, and one week on agency tours in New York. Previous classes have visited Ogilvy & Mather, DDB, Digitas, Translation and Ignition, among many others.
- Join the American Marketing Association at UGA to gain knowledge in marketing strategies and research. You will also gain practical experience in applying social and digital marketing techniques with local and national businesses.
- Students interested in pursuing careers in the creative industry are encouraged to enroll in Summer at the Circus, a partnership between Grady College and The Creative Circus in Atlanta. The Creative Circus is one of the top portfolio schools in the country, offering programs in Art Direction, Copywriting, Design, Image, Interactive Design and several other areas.
- Participate in the UGA Global Advertising and PR Program in China, and learn about brand communication in Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong.
- Consider participating in the UGA Cannes Lions Study Abroad Program, which allows students to attend the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity and witness thousands of ads from around the world being showcased and judged. This opportunity also allows students to network with producers, directors, and actors who have starred in motion pictures.
LinkedIn Groups to Join
- Advertising and PR at UGA Grady College
- Internships and Interns
- University of Georgia Alumni Association Group (UGA)
- University of Georgia Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication Alumni
- Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
- For more information on how to effectively utilize LinkedIn, check out the UGA Career Center's Social Media Guide.
Additional Internship/Job Search Tips
- For additional information on internships and job opportunities, look out for emails sent every Tuesday on the Grady Career Services Update listserv. If you are not on that listserv, sign up for the Grady job leads listserv here.
- Follow @UGAGradyCareers on Twitter for timely job postings and career advice, run by the Grady College Office of Experiential Learning and the UGA Career Center Grady College Career Consultant.
- If you’re interested in working or interning for a specific company, visit that company’s website. Job and internship opportunities are usually listed under the “Careers” tab.
- For a complete list of advertising agencies and PR firms, check out this list compiled by Grady.
- For information about job salary, company reviews, and job openings, visit Glassdoor and CareerBliss.
- For a general job search, visit websites such as Indeed, Monster and Simply Hired.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET Click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (Type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- CareerSearch (Research employers by location and/or industry)
- GoinGlobal (To access GoinGlobal, login to your Handshake account)
- Handshake (Log in with your UGA MyID and password)
- Idealist (Non-profit jobs)
- USAJobs (Federal jobs)
- Ad Council
- Advertising Age
- American Ad Agencies
- American Marketing Association
- Association of National Advertisers
- Brand Republic
- Creative Pool
- Digital Media Jobs Network
- Entertainment Careers
- Journalism Jobs
- Marketing Research Association
- Media Bistro
- Media Post
- National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) Career Center
- Nation Job
- Production Hub
- PR Week Magazine
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA National) Job Center
- PRSA/Georgia Chapter Career Center
- Talent Zoo
- T. Howard Foundation – Diversity in the Media
- Turner Broadcasting System