What can I do with a major in Computer Science?
UGA Specific Information for Computer Science
Computer Science deals with the logical and mathematical foundations of computing and how to implement problem solutions as programs in a computer language. The computer science curriculum covers the design principles of key computing technologies such as hardware, operating systems, database systems, networks, graphics, and artificial intelligence.This major prepares its graduates to provide technical support for computer operations and to develop new computer hardware and software systems. With this major, students can look forward to working with major computer manufacturers, software development corporations, the communications industry and consulting firms.
Employers Hiring UGA Computer Science for the Class of 2016*
Acuity Brands | C.I. Actuation | Capgemini | CareerBuilder.com | Caterpillar Inc. | Citadel LLC | Clearleap, Inc. | Cogent Education | Comet Global Consulting | CSX Corporation | Daugherty Business Solutions | Digital Element | Digital Insight | Fast Enterprises, LLC | General Motors Company | Hegemony Software | Intelligent Global Solutions | Izenda, Inc. | JH Media Group | John Deere | Liberty Mutual Group | Macy’s, Inc. | Microsoft Corporation | Newton County School District | On-Line Instrument Systems, Inc. | Oracle Corporation | Perficient, Inc. | Possible Mobile | Red Clay Consulting | Relus Technologies | SAS Institute Inc. | Seller Labs | Square Engineering | State Farm | Systematrix Solutions | Taskstream | Technical Innovation, A Diversified Company | Texas RT Systems, LLC | The University of Georgia | Tri-Global Technologies, LLC | United States Navy | USA Badminton
Job Titles of UGA Computer Science Majors for the Class of 2016*
Application Analyst | Application Analyst Associate | Associate Consultant | Business Analyst | Business Intelligence Data Analyst | Cloud Support and Automation | Computer Programmer | Computer Scientist | Consultant | Data Analyst | Database Software Engineer | Executive Development Program Analyst | Implementation Consultant | Information Services Analyst | Integration Engineer | Interaction Designer | iOS Developer | IT Analyst | IT Leadership Development Associate | IT Operations Engineer | Junior Programmer | Police Dept Security Analyst Specialist | Premier Field Engineer | Quality Assurance Analyst | School of Social Work Software Developer | Security Consultant | Software Developer | Software Engineer | Software Engineering Systems Information Technology Specialist | Support Engineer | Teacher | Technical Consultant | Web Developer
Graduate/Professional Schools Attended by UGA Computer Science Majors for the Class of 2016*
Georgia State University | The University of Georgia
UGA Computer Science Career Outcomes for the Class of 2016*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Connect with your Career Consultant - Samantha Perrin - email@example.com
- Computer Science Academic Advisors - Annemarie Hitchcock and Christina Rowland
- Department of Computer Science
- Find additional clubs and organizations at the Center for Student Organization
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Minorities in Tech (MIT)
- Society for Management Information Systems (SMIS)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineerings (IEEE)
- Classic Hackers UGA Linux Users' Group
- Free technical training - access Skillsoft and Lynda through myUGA
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
- Develop your own website/portfolio to display your work: code, projects, apps and other professional examples.
- Stay up to date on new and emerging trends in your field(s) of interest. Visit the links above for more information.
- Join a professional association related to your field of interest; example: if you are interested in information security, consider joining the Information Systems Security Association. See the previous section for a list of suggested professional associations.
- Be aware that computer science is math heavy. You could consider adding a math minor.
- It is essential to get involved in campus activities and internships to further develop soft skills. It is usually soft skills that prevent some students from easily finding employment, not technical skills.
- Gain additional certifications and training. You can access Lynda.com and Skillsoft to receive free training on the MyUGA webpage.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - View the skills, knowledge, and abilities required to work in specific career fields.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Find information on different career paths, the education and training required, and the future outlook on the field.
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world's leading sources of Career Intelligence. View guides on specific career fields, information on employers, and job/internship openings. Enter your 810/811 to access.
- Candid Career - Access thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals in a variety of career fields. Enter your 810/811 to access.
- Career Cornerstone Center - Career planning resources for STEM fields
- Handshake - Login with your UGA myID and password to view thousands of jobs/internships from employers looking for UGA students
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals and view job openings
- GoinGlobal - Job/internship openings in countries abroad as well as country career guides providing information about finding employment in other countries.
- Idealist - Nonprofit Jobs
- Indeed - General job search engine
- USAJobs - Federal Jobs
- The Vault - Industry guides, jobs, and internships
MAJOR/CAREER SPECIFIC, OPEN TO ALL:
- iCrunchData - Big Data, Analytics, General Information Technology, etc.
- Computer Jobs - All IT related positions
- Dice - All IT related positions
- Game Development - Full-time and hobby work related to video game development
- IT Job Pro - All IT related positions
- Tech Careers - All IT related positions
- Hypepotamus - IT jobs in Atlanta Startups
- Atlanta Tech Village - IT jobs in Atlanta Startups
- Atlanta Startup Jobs - IT jobs in Atlanta Startups
- Angel List, Atlanta Startups - IT jobs in Atlanta Startups
- Computing Research Association - Faculty/Research jobs, primarily at universities
- Association for Computing Machinery - Many faculty/research with some industry
- GameRecruiter - Jobs in video game development and design
- IEEE - All IT/engineering related positions
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Association for Information Systems
- Association for Women in Computing
- Computing Research Association
- Information Systems Security Association
- Institute for the Certification of Computer Professionals
- International Game Developers Association
- Internet Society
- Mass Technology Leadership Council
- Software & Information Industry Association
- Storage Networking Industry Association
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest.