What can I do with a major in Dairy Science?
UGA Specific Information for Dairy Science
The thriving dairy industry in Georgia is an important segment of the agricultural economy. The modern industry requires personnel trained in business, economics, and management as well as the traditional dairy science courses. Courses of a more basic nature may be emphasized by students who desire careers in science-related fields or who wish to pursue graduate or professional study. This major is highly recommended for persons planning to enter a program of study in veterinary medicine.
** Includes Self-Employed
- Animal and Dairy Science Clubs and Organizations
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine Club
- Block and Bridle
- UGA Cattlemen’s Association
- UGA Horsemen’s Association
- Dairy Science Club
- UGA Livestock Judging Team
- UGA Meat Animal Evaluation Judging Team
- UGA Horse Judging Team
- UGA Dairy Judging Team
- College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Clubs and Organizations
- Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS)
- Alpha Gamma Rho (Men pursuing careers in agriculture)
- Sigma Alpha (Women pursuing careers in agriculture)
To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
Connect with your Career Consultant
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
A variety of industries hire Dairy Science graduates. Provided below are a few of the more prominent of those employers:
Manufacturing and Production
Food manufacturers are large employers of dairy science majors. Opportunities exist in a number of departments and specialties, including quality control/assurance, food processing, sanitation, packaging and inventory control. Your degree may qualify you for entry-level managerial jobs such as team leader, and with additional education and experience, some dairy science majors can become plant managers.
Sales and Marketing
Dairy manufacturers hire dairy scientists to sell and market their products to grocers and other food suppliers. There are also opportunities available to manage these accounts, as well as conduct and oversee market research projects. Along with food manufacturers, other industries such as breeders, animal nutritionists and feeders may also hire dairy scientists to work in areas of sales and marketing.
Research and Development
Dairy science majors often find employment in the field of research and development. They may research and test new products, develop recipes, collect data and work to improve on existing product lines, as well as tackle other problems such as food textures, processing and preservation
Many dairy science graduates aspire to own and manage farms. In this capacity they are responsible for overseeing all aspects of the dairy farm including herding, nutrition management, feeding, operation and milking. General business knowledge in accounting, sales, marketing and facilities management is also needed for this job.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Georgia Career Information Center (accessible only on campus computers)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- American Dairy Science Association
- Dairy Calf & Heifer Association
- American Society of Animal Science
- National Block and Bridle Association
- Animal Science Database
- Animal Health Institute
- The American Veterinary Medicine Association
- US Food and Drug Administration, Center for Veterinary Medicine
- Society of Dairy Technology
- Agriculture Future of America
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Graduate/Professional Schools Attended by UGA Dairy Science Majors for the Class of 2017*
The University of Georgia | Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University