What can I do with a major in Finance?
UGA Specific Information for Finance
Finance is a broad term that describes two related activities – 1) the study of how money is managed, and 2) the actual process of acquiring needed funds. Because individuals, businesses, and government entities all need funding to operate, the field is often separated into three subcategories: personal finance, corporate finance, and public finance. All three categories are concerned with activities such as the pricing of assets, decisions on how firms should decide what projects to undertake and how to fund those projects, decisions on appropriate investment strategies by individuals and institutions, and how financial markets work both domestically and internationally. The UGA Finance Department curriculum provides students with an enhanced understanding of the interdependent disciplines of financial management, financial markets and institutions, and financial planning. This knowledge helps students sharpen their analytical skills, broaden their comprehension of today's markets, and develop a foundation for advanced scholarship and research.
Class of 2018 Career Outcomes for Finance*
** Includes Self-Employed
- AIESEC - international volunteer & internship opportunities
- Apollo Society - 1st & 2nd year students interested in investment & financial markets
- Atlas Business Society - 1st & 2nd year students of all majors
- Corsair Society - investment banking & finance
- Delta Sigma Pi - co-ed professional business fraternity
- Economics Department
- Economics Society
- Enactus - entrepreneurial & community service
- Finance Department
- Finance Society - learn about the various areas of finance from employer speakers
- Multicultural Business Student Association
- Student Financial Planning Association
- Student Managed Investment Fund (SMIF) - 3rd & 4th year students interested in investments & financial markets
- Terry Student Consulting
- Women in Business
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
POTENTIAL CAREER PATHS
- Insurance Underwriters - Review individual applications for insurance to evaluate degree of risk involved and determine acceptance of applications.
- Financial Planning - Advise clients on financial plans using knowledge of tax and investment strategies, securities, insurance, pension plans, and real estate. Duties include assessing clients' assets, liabilities, cash flow, insurance coverage, tax status, and financial objectives.
- Financial Consulting - Enforce or ensure compliance with laws and regulations governing financial and securities institutions and financial and real estate transactions. May examine, verify, or authenticate records.
- Management Consulting - Conduct organizational studies and evaluations, design systems and procedures, conduct work simplification and measurement studies, and prepare operations and procedures manuals to assist management in operating more efficiently and effectively. Includes program analysts and management consultants.
- Investment Banking - Plan, direct, or coordinate investment strategy or operations for a large pool of liquid assets supplied by institutional investors or individual investors.
- Investment Underwriters - Manage communications or negotiations between corporate issuers of securities and clients regarding private equity investments. Underwrite the issuance of securities to provide capital for client growth. Negotiate and structure the terms of mergers or acquisitions.
- Financial Analyst - Conduct quantitative analyses of information affecting investment programs of public or private institutions.
- Credit Anlayst - Analyze credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Prepare reports with credit information for use in decision making.
- Actuary - Analyze statistical data, such as mortality, accident, sickness, disability, and retirement rates and construct probability tables to forecast risk and liability for payment of future benefits. May ascertain insurance rates required and cash reserves necessary to ensure payment of future benefits.
- Loan Officer - Evaluate, authorize, or recommend approval of commercial, real estate, or credit loans. Advise borrowers on financial status and payment methods. Includes mortgage loan officers and agents, collection analysts, loan servicing officers, and loan underwriters.
- Graduate School
- And more!
Finance students have many career options from which to choose. Because of this, students should begin exploring careers early on during their time at UGA. Below is a list of common careers that finance majors often pursue as well as tips for success & exploration resources to help get you started.
- Read all the time (Financial Times, Wall Street Journal, NY Times, etc.)
- Build & practice your writing & verbal communication skills
- Improve your technical skills & knowledge through trainings on SkillSoft, Lynda.com, Career Insider (Vault), Business Insider, Wall Street Oasis, Leaders Global Network,etc.
- Become Lean Six Sigma certified, if relevant
- Begin exploring careers early. This is something that must be done outside of the classroom
- Create your resume during your first semester & update it every semester afterwards
- Internships are crucial for testing out various industries & also building relevant experience on your resume
- Consider earning a certificate to supplement your major studies
- Attend employer networking events through Terry College & the Career Center
- Explore study abroad options during your 1st or 2nd year
RESOURCES - INDUSTRY RESEARCH & INTERVIEW PREP
- Ace the Case - case interview prep
- ArgoPoint - case interview prep
- Bloomberg Institute
- The Deal
- Deal Breaker
- The Financial Times
- Management Consulted - consulting prep
- Market Watch
- McKinsey Quarterly
- Pinterest - the Career Center has many resources on Pinterest, especially for the consulting industry
- Seeking Alpha
- Training the Street
- Vault - type in your 810/811 number, then select "Career Insider" to access the following interview guides:
- Advice from Finance Professionals
- Case & Finance Interview Practice
- Consulting & Case Interviews
- Finance Interviews
- The Wall Street Journal
- Wall Street Oasis
- Wall Street Prep - investment banking training
COMPANY & SALARY RESEARCH
- Options, Futures, & Other Derivatives - John Hull
- Security Analysis & The Intelligent Investor - Benjamin Graham
- The Handbook of Fixed Income Securities - Frank Fabozzi
- Liar’s Poker - Michael Lewis
- Average is Over - Tyler Cowen
- The Fast Track: The Insider's Guide to Winning Jobs in Management Consulting, Investment Banking, & Securities Trading - Mariam Naficy
- Join LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your career interests. To search, select "groups" & type in your keywords.
- Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined & consider joining those as well.
- Start by joining the University of Georgia Finance Society group, & then expand from there.
- To login, visit the LinkedIn main page.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledges, work activities, and interests associated with over 900 occupations (Login using your 810/811)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Vault is one of the world’s leading sources of Career Intelligence. It can help make your efforts at researching employers, industries, and career subjects significantly easier and more efficient. Whether you are just exploring possible career paths or you are ready for your interview, Career Insider can help! (Login using your 810/811)
- Candid Career - Whether you are just beginning to explore career options, preparing for a job interview, or looking to change careers, CandidCareer.com can help by providing you with access to thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals through an easy to use website. We can all learn from the experiences of others and the Career Center makes this valuable resource available to UGA students so they may be informed and ready for what lies ahead. (Login using your 810/811)
- GoinGlobal - View jobs/internship in other countries and country career guides (Login using your 810/811)
- Glassdoor - Glassdoor is a free jobs and career community that offers the world an inside look at jobs and companies. What sets us apart is our "employee generated content" – anonymous salaries, company reviews, interview questions, and more – all posted by employees, job seekers, and sometimes the companies themselves. Now with nearly 3 million salaries and reviews, you have all the information you might need to make your next career decision.
- Portfolium - Your work and projects are undeniable proof of your skills – Portfolium will help you learn and allow you to display the top skills graduate schools and employers want. Portfolium is where you’ll upload your work, projects, presentations and more. The UGA Career Center has pre-loaded your profile to include the top skills graduate schools and employers seek in their candidates. Log-in to your profile to see how you can build your skills!
- Big Interview - Online practice interview platform. Practice basic interview questions or questions based on your industry interests or competencies! Also provides practice interview questions for graduate/professional schools. Just sign-up using your uga email address!
- Terry Connect - Terry's online mentorship platform. By creating an online profile during the active enrollment period (mid-late August) students will be matched with a mentor in their prospective industry for advice on job/internship searches, interview skills, and professional development. Students are also able to engage with alumni and each other on discussion boards and in special interest groups.
GENERAL EMPLOYMENT WEBSITES
- Handshake - login with your UGA myID & password to search for internships & jobs
- GoinGlobal - login with your UGA myID & password to access international jobs & internships
- Idealist - non-profit jobs
- USAJobs - federal jobs
MAJOR & CAREER-SPECIFIC EMPLOYMENT WEBSITES
Finance Students Interested in Understanding & Interpreting Financial Matters
- American Association of Finance & Accounting
- American Bankers Association
- American Finance Association
- Association of Financial Professionals
- Financial Management Association
- Financial Planning Association
- International Academy of Business & Financial Management
- Securities Industry & Financial Markets Association
Finance Students Interested in Quantitative Analysis
- American Mathematical Society
- American Statistical Association
- Institute for Operations Research & the Management Sciences
- Society for Industrial & Applied Mathematics
Finance Students Interested in Investment Banking
- CFA Institute
- Leaders Global Network
- Mergers & Inquisitions
- New York Society of Security Analysts
- Securities Industry & Financial Markets Association
Finance Students Interested in Insurance
Finance Students Interested in Consulting