What can I do with a major in International Affairs?
UGA Specific Information for International Affairs
International Affairs is the comprehensive study of global issues of importance in the contemporary world. The focus in this field is on topics such as war and peace, globalization and economic development, as well as domestic and international politics and economics. The major is divided into two subfields: comparative politics and international relations. Comparative politics is the study of domestic politics in developed and developing countries and the different ways that countries deal with global issues. International relations studies how countries relate and interact with one another, as well as with multinational entities, as they deal with global issues.
Employers Hiring UGA International Affairs for the Class of 2016*
[Fuel Cell Enabling Technology, LLC | & Wansbrough Attorneys at Law | AIPAC | Al Masar Center | athenahealth, Inc. | Atlanta Public Schools | Bloomberg LP | Buddy’s Home Furnishings | Carnegie Endowment For International Peace | Ceasar Mitchell for Mayor | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention | Chronicle Media, LLC | City Year | Clarke County School District | Colonial Life | Commonwealth Trading Partners, Inc. | Community & Southern Bank | Convergint Technologies | Corrosion & Integrity Solutions, LLC | Cricket Wireless | Delta Air Lines, Inc. | Democratic Party of Georgia | DERBIGUM Americas, Inc. | Duval County Public Schools | E-Trade Financial Corporation | Epic Systems Corporation | Esrey & Buckley, LLP | Ferrer | GDH Consulting | Georgia Department of Economic Development | Hawkins Delafield & Wood LLP | Hillary for Ohio | Hollister Co. | If I Could | Insight Global | Iowa Democratic Party | Ketchum Inc. | Kim & Chang | KIPP DC | La Casa de Amistad, Inc. | LexisNexis Risk Solutions | Maxus Global | Mayor’s Office | McCullough Payne Haan Nadler | Memorial Ambulance LLC | Mercer | Military Service | MRM//McCann | Myers Research | Strategic Services | National Mentoring Partnership | New South Associates, Inc. | Often and Berg | Partnership for Public Service | Poirot | Procurri | Professional Sports Publications | Rakuten, Inc. | Rubicon Global | Sandia National Laboratories | Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc. | Senator Barbara Boxer | Senator David Perdue | SG Property Services LLC | Social Security Administration | SRVR, LLC | Stanley | Starbucks | Student Business Services Co-Op of Athens | Surya, Inc. | Teach for America | The Los Angeles Police Department | The National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism | The Peace Corps | The State of Georgia | The State of Georgia Governor Nathan Deal Office of the Governor | The University of Colorado Boulder | The University of Georgia | The Wesley Foundation | Total Quality Logistics | UBS Group AG | United Arab Shipping Company | United States Air Force | United States Army | United States Navy | Vision Planners LLC | Windermere Services Company
Job Titles of UGA International Affairs Majors for the Class of 2016*
Account Coordinator | Account Executive | Account Manager | Advertising Sales Rep | AmeriCorps City Year Member | Army Soldier | Assistant | Assistant Account Executive | Assistant Media Planner for NBC Symphony | Associate | Associate Product Manager | Barista | Bilingual Customer Accounts Manager | Business Associate | Business Strategy | Campus Organizer | Capital Teaching Resident | Case Assistant | Center for Government Leadership Fellow | Claims Associate | Claims Associate for General Liability | Claims Representative | Constituent Services Specialist | Contracts Specialist | Convergint Development Program | Corporate Engagement and Development | Corrosion Specialist | Customer Care Advocate | Dean’s Office Administrative Assistant | Democratic Party Event Organizer | Digital Media Coordinator | Digital Organizer | EMT | Engineering Systems Integration Implementation Professional | ESOL Instructor | Field Canvasser | Finance Assistant | Food Service Worker | Freelance Document Designer | Government Consulting Analyst | Government Relations Assistant | Head Custodians | Impact Associate | Intelligence Officer | Investment Banking Analyst | Junior Analyst | Junior Fellow | Lab Technician | Legal Assistant | Liaison Officer | Libraries-General Operations Clerk I | Logistics Account Executive | Management Analyst | Marketing | Media Service Specialist for House of Representatives | Navy Ensign | Peace Corps Volunteer | Philanthropy & Engagement | Product Sales Consultant | Program Specialist | Project Manager | Public Contracts and Infrastructure Advisory Paralegal | Public Health Associate | Recruiter | Research Analyst | Research Assistant | Richard B. Russell Security Leadership Fellow | Sales Coordinator | Sales Representative | Sales Support Executive | Scribe | Second Grade Teacher | Second Lieutenant | Senior Implementation Analyst | Staff | Staff Assistant | Support | Teacher | Third Grade Bilingual Teacher | Trainee | Vice President of Finance
Graduate/Professional Schools Attended by UGA International Affairs Majors for the Class of 2016*
American University | Columbia University | Duke University | Emory University | Erasmus Mundus Consortium | Georgetown University | Georgia Institute of Technology | Georgia State University-Perimeter College | Loyola Marymount University | Mercer University | Mississippi Valley State University | Nanjing University | SOAS | The Johns Hopkins University | The Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey | The State University of New York | The Univeristy of Kentucky | The University of Arizona | The University of Georgia | The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill | The University of North Georgia | UC Hastings College of the Law | University College Dublin | University College London | University of London
UGA International Affairs Career Outcomes for the Class of 2016*
** Includes Self-Employed
- Model United Nations
- SPIA Student Organizations
- SPIA Study Abroad opportunities
- Center for the Study of Global Issues (GLOBIS)
- Center for International Trade and Security (CITS)
- SPIA Ambassadors Program
To find additonal clubs and organizations, visit the Center for Student Organizations.
And connect with your Career Consultant!
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
SKILLS acquired with your degree
- Understanding complex factors within problems
- Perceiving patterns/structures
- Comparing/contrasting interpretations
- Assessing cultural differences
- Assessing conflicting viewpoints
- Analytical writing
- Drafting documents
- Summarizing and presenting information
- Public speaking
- Language proficiency
- Strong writing skills
- Defining problems
- Formulating and assessing hypotheses
- Gathering and analyzing information
- Using original sources
- Understanding cultural contexts
- Interpreting data
- Evaluating evidence and results
- Reading critically
SAMPLE INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
- White House Fellows
- U.S. State Department
- International labor organizations (e.g. AFL-CIO)
- U.S. or State Congress
- Research Institutes/Think Tanks (e.g. Brookings Institute, Urban Institute)
- International development and relief (e.g. Freedom House, AED, USAID)
- Environmental organization (e.g. EPA, PIRC, Green Peace)
- Educational programs (e.g. Summerbridge)
- Financial services (e.g. The Emerging Markets Private Equity Association)
- Consulting firms (e.g. Drum Cussac Inc.)
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Intelligence and National Security (e.g. Intellibridge.com, CIA)
- Political Action Committees (PACs) (e.g. American Israeli PAC)
- Government consulting (e.g. DFI, SAIC)
- Non-Governmental Organizations (e.g. Search for Common Ground)
- Develop linguistic skills. Become fluent in a second and third language.
- Demonstrate intercultural competency, sensitivity, and tolerance.
- Gain experience communicating with people from other cultures. Seek opportunities to interact with international students on campus or in your community.
- Study abroad, work abroad, or travel to a foreign country while in school to develop language skills and international competency.
- Commit to a continuous study of host country’s language.
- Develop a good understanding of etiquette and business practices in country of target.
- Look for temporary or volunteer positions abroad.
- Obtain daily papers in target city to determine international and national news, business features, real estate markets, and community calendars.
- Get your foot in the door through domestic positions because many international employers promote current employees to international positions.
- Develop traits such as creativity, initiative, tenacity, a willingness to take risks, an adventurous spirit, and a sense of humor.
- In general, international positions are competitive and difficult to obtain. Be proactive in developing the skills and experiences that will prepare you for an overseas job.
- Be very planful about building an international career. It takes time to develop a set of skills and experiences that will prepare you for an overseas job.
- Learn about international travel regulations including the specific visa requirements for the country you’re traveling to and the jobs you’ll be working in.
- Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. To search, select “groups” under the “interests” tab. Also, review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Interested in graduate school? Find current information on getting into graduate school at UGA’s Career Center webpage.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- My Next Move
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (under the Resources tab, select Online Resources)
- Candid Career - View professionals speaking about their careers (under the Resources tab, select Online Resources)
- Idealist Careers - Helping You Find a Nonprofit Career
- Data Analytics for Public Policy - Guide to public policy analytics degrees, the intersection of data science and policy, tips on industry applications, jobs, conferences, internships, and more!
- Go Government - Select "Find Your Fit" and then "Browse information by Agency"
- US Department of State
- US Agency for International Development (USAID)
- US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Defense Intelligence Agency
- National Security Agency
- Peace Corps
- United Nations
- Office of the U.S. Trade Representative
- U.S. International Trade Commission
- USAID 2015 VOLAG Report - List of voluntary relief agencies engaged in overseas relief and development
- The Washington Center
- OXFAM International
- Amnesty International
- Transparency International
- Habitat for Humanity
- American Red Cross
- Catholic Relief Services
- List of think tanks in the U.S. (Wikipedia)
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Institute for Policy Studies
- Center for Strategic and International Studies
- Escape Artist
- Resources for Working Overseas - from the U.S. Department of State
- Transitions Abroad
- Overseas Jobs
- Global Jobs
- Global Development Jobs
- Riley Guide - International Resources
- Go Abroad
- Language Corps - Teach English Abroad
- Athens-Clarke County Employment Guide
- Team Georgia - Careers with the State of Georgia
- The Carter Center
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Policy Jobs
- Disaster Relief Agencies
- Humanitarian Relief Organizations
- World Trade Organization
- International Relations EDU
- USA.gov - Public Service and Volunteer Opportunities
- Foreign Policy Association
- Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs
- International Strategic Studies Association
- Center for International Policy
- Council on Foreign Relations
- American Foreign Policy Council
- Center for Strategic and International Studies
- American Foreign Service Association
- Georgetown Journal of International Affairs