What can I do with a major in Latin?
UGA Specific Information for Latin
A major in Latin provides students with an opportunity to pursue studies in Roman literature, history, archaeology, art, philosophy, and religion while concentrating on the Latin language. Latin is a major that offers opportunities for students to not only acquire language skills, but also gain scholarly tools, and an understanding of the literature, culture, and linguistic distinctives of the Latin language. Employment opportunities include teaching at the secondary level, non-teaching academic positions, museum, library, editorial work, travel and tourist industry, government positions in foreign-service, graduate school in classics, comparative literature, linguistics, history, and other fields (for University teaching positions). Other opportunities include careers in law, journalism, or business. Generally, students who select Latin further their studies in a graduate program such as an M.A. and / or Ph.D.
Employers Hiring UGA Latin for the Class of 2015*
Gwinnett County Public Schools | Newton County School District | Westminster Christian Academy
Job Titles of UGA Latin Majors for the Class of 2015*
Latin Instructor | Teacher
UGA Latin Career Outcomes for the Class of 2015*
** Includes Self-Employed
To find additonal clubs and organizations, visit the Center for Student Organizations.
And connect with your Career Consultant!
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. To search, select “groups” under the “interests” tab. Also, review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Interested in graduate school? Find current information on getting into graduate school at UGA’s Career Center webpage.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- DAWGlink - Career Opportunities for UGA Students and Alumni (login with your UGA MyID and password)
- GoinGlobal - International (to access, login with your DAWGlink account)
- Idealist - Nonprofit
- USAJOBS - Federal
- Foreign Policy Association
- International Association for Greek Philosophy
- American Society of Greek and Latin Epigraphy
- American Association of Museums
- Association of Ancient Historians
- American Society of Papyrologists
- The Greek Institute
- National Association for Museum Exhibition
- American Library Association
- American Philological Association
- The Classical Association of the Midwest & South
- The American Numismatic Society
- The Center for Ancient Studies