What can I do with a major in Management Information Systems?
UGA Specific Information for Management Information Systems
An MIS major prepares students for a future as information systems professionals, innovators, and managers. The coursework choices also provide preparation for a variety of technical leadership positions. The program is interdisciplinary in nature with specialized training in information systems, information management, and information technology so that graduates can ultimately assume managerial positions and provide leadership in information systems innovation.
Employers Hiring UGA Management Information Systems for the Class of 2016*
Accenture PLC | ACI Worldwide | AGCO Corporation | Aon plc | AT&T | Bridge2 Solutions | Buckhead Business Consultants | Bullet Scanning, LLC | Capgemini | Caterpillar Inc. | Citigroup Inc. | Coastline International, Inc. | Collaborative Solutions, LLC | Collective Insights | Comet Global Consulting | CoStar Group, Inc. | Cox Enterprises | Crowe Horwath LLP | CTS, Inc. | CVR Associates, Inc. | Deloitte | Docebo | Equifax Inc. | EY | General Motors Company | Hewlett Packard Enterprise | Insight Global | KPMG US LLP | LinkedIn | Macy’s, Inc. | Manhattan Associates | McKesson Corporation | Microsoft Corporation | Military Service | NIKE, Inc. | OneTrust | Optuminsight, Inc. | Perficient, Inc. | PowerPlan, Inc. | PricewaterhouseCoopers | Protiviti Inc. | Pure Barre, LLC | Qubole | Riskonnect, Inc. | Socius1, LLC. | State Farm | SunTrust Banks, Inc. | Swarm Agency | Tata Consultancy Services Limited | Teoco | The Kapsch Group | The NCR Corporation | The University of Georgia | The University of North Georgia | The Wesley Foundation | Timberland LLC | Total Technology Solutions Inc. | Travelport | Tupco Tile And Stone | Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. | United Parcel Service | United States Army | UnitedHealth Group | Wells Fargo & Company
Job Titles of UGA Management Information Systems Majors for the Class of 2016*
Advisory Associate | Analyst | Assistant Manager | Associate | Associate | Associate - Forensic Technology | Associate Consultant | Associate Data and Analytics | Associate Security | Associate Systems Engineer | Associate Technical Consultant | Associate, Cybersecurity | Associate, Risk Assurance - Cybersecurity | Associate, Technology Consulting | Auditor | Benefits Administrator | Business Analyst | Business Analyst, Global IT | Business Consultant | Business Intelligence Analyst | Business Intelligence/Data Analyst | Business Systems Analyst | Business Technology Analyst | Business/Systems Architect | Co-Owner | Community Service Manager | Consultant | Cost Analyst | Cyber Risk Services Consultant | Cyber Security Consulting Associate | Data Analyst | Data and Analytics Consultant | Database Administrator | Director of Information Technology | Enterprise Resource Planning Risk & Compliance Solutions | ETR Developer with GMC | Executive Development Program Analyst | Financial Analyst | Forensic Tech | Front End Web Developer | FSO TAP Staff | Global Sales Associate | Golf Course Maintainance | Graduate Gateway Program-Data Scientist | Incoming Consultant | Information Technology Specialist | Instructor | Investment Banking Analyst | IT Administrator | IT Advisory | IT Advisory Services | IT Analyst | IT Audit & Assurance Associate | IT Auditing and Assurance Associate | IT Business Analyst | IT Consultant | IT Developer | IT Project Manager | IT Risk Consultant | IT System Analyst | Learning and Support Specialist | Management Consulting Analyst | Military Intelligence 2nd Lieutenant | Operations Manager | Professional Services Architect | Professional Services Consultant | Program Manager | Project Manager | Project Manager Specialist | Quality Assurance Analyst | Recreational Sports Fee Accountant | Risk Advisory Consultant | Risk Advisory Staff | Sales Representative | Salesforce Business Analyst | School of Public and International Affairs IT Support & Interim IT Manager | Senior IT Quality Analyst | Software Consultant | Software Developer | Software Engineer | Software Implementation Consultant | Software Test Analyst | Staff | Staff Consultant | Staff Consultant - Technology Risk | Staff Engineer | Strategy Associate | Support Engineer | Systems Analyst- Security Tools Development Service | Technical Advisor | Technical Business Analyst | Technical Development Program | Technology Advisor Program Associate | Technology Advisory Consultant | Technology Advisory Program Staff | Technology Consultant | Technology Consulting Associate | Technology Leadership Program Analyst | Technology Program Development Associate | Technology Risk Consultant
Graduate/Professional Schools Attended by UGA Management Information Systems Majors for the Class of 2016*
Indiana University Bloomington | Peking University | The University of Georgia
UGA Management Information Systems Career Outcomes for the Class of 2016*
** Includes Self-Employed
- UGA MIS Department
- Clubs & Organizations
- The MIS Advisory Board
- Terry Undergraduate Student Services & Corporate Relations (USSCR)
- Additional Training
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
- Connect with your Career Consultant - Samantha Perrin
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
- Consider picking up additional technical skills on Lynda and Skillsoft to become more competitive.
- Participate in SMIS. Many employers visit this student group each semester, which will help you to learn about different MIS career paths and network.
- Obtain technical experience through part-time jobs, internships or volunteer positions.
- Hone your analytical, problem-solving and communication skills through student groups or other activities.
Potential Career Options for MIS Majors:
Click the links to view more information including alternate job titles, skills/knowledge required, and daily work activities.
Consultants are professionals who provide expert advice in a particular area such as management, accountancy, technology, marketing, finance, etc.
- Data Analyst
Data Analysts gather and analyze data.
- Information Security Analysts (Cybersecurity)
Information Security Analysts plan, implement, upgrade, or monitor security measures for the protection of computer networks and information. May ensure appropriate security controls are in place that will safeguard digital files and vital electronic infrastructure. May respond to computer security breaches and viruses.
- Business Process Analyst
Business Procses Analysts conduct organizational studies and evaluations, design systems and procedures, conduct work simplification and measurement studies, and prepare operations and procedures manuals to assist management in operating more efficiently and effectively.
- Business Intelligence Analyst
Business Intelligence Analysts produce financial and market intelligence by querying data repositories and generating periodic reports. Devise methods for identifying data patterns and trends in available information sources.
- Computer/Business Systems Analyst
Business Systems Analysts Analyze science, engineering, business, and other data processing problems to implement and improve computer systems.
- Risk Specialist
Analyze and manage risk management issues by identifying, measuring, and making decisions on operational or enterprise risks for an organization.
- Information Security Analysts
Information Security Analysts plan, implement, upgrade, or monitor security measures for the protection of computer networks and information.
- Application Developer
App Developers develop, create, and modify general computer applications software or specialized utility programs. Analyze user needs and develop software solutions.
- Database Administrator
Database Administrators administer, test, and implement computer databases, applying knowlege of database management systems. Coordinate changes to computer databases. May plan, coordinate, and implement security measures to safeguard computer databases.
- Computer Systems Analyst
Computer Systems Analysts analyze science, engineering, business, and other data processing problems to implement and improve computer systems.
- Network Systems Administrator
Network Systems Administrators install, configure, and support and organization's local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), and Internet systems or a segment of a network system. Monitor network to ensure network availability to all system users and may perform necessary maintenance to support network availability.
- IT Project Manager
IT Project Managers plan, initiate, and manage IT projects. Lead and guide the work of technical staff. Serve as liaison between business and technical aspects of projects. Plan project stages and assess business implications for each stage.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET - In-depth information on careers
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - In-depth information on careers
- Career Insider: Vault Guides - Guides related to various careers. Great guides on consulting/case interviews!! (enter your 810/811 to access)
- Candid Career - Quick videos of professionals speaking about their careers, likes/dislikes, and the interview process?
- Handshake - UGA's online job/internship board. Find thousands of open positions, career related events, and information on employers (login with your UGA MyID and password)
- LinkedIn - Network with professionals, find UGA Alumni, and see job openings
- GoinGlobal - Resource for finding jobs abroad. Also includes guides on career advice, customs, and etiquette in other countries. (Enter your 810/811 to access)
- Idealist - Nonprofit jobs
- USAJobs - Federal jobs
- Indeed - General job board
- The Vault - Find jobs, internships, and company information (enter your 810/811 to access)
- icrunchdata - Jobs in Big Data, Technology, and Analytics
- ISACA - Jobs in all areas of IT including assurance, cybersecurity, risk, finance, etc.
- Computer Jobs - Jobs in all areas of IT in the US and abroad
- Dice - Jobs in all areas of technology including development, data analytics, database, security, hardware, etc. Includes a great feature to browse jobs by skills
- IT Job Pro - Jobs in all areas of IT including development and tech support
- Nation Job - Computer Software, Systems, and general IT jobs
- Robert Half - Jobs in all areas of IT including development, database, analytics, etc.
- Tech Careers - Jobs in all areas of IT. Most are Bachelors + experience required, but some are entry-level
- Cyber Center of Excellence - Jobs in Cybsersecurity fields in the San Diego area
- The Vault (Type in your 810/811 number and select "Career Insider" to download industry guides)
- E-Commerce Times
- Entertainment Software Association
- Gartner Group
- Government Computer News
- Internet News
- IT World
- PC Magazine
- American Society for Information Sciences
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Association for Information Systems
- Association for Women in Computing
- Information Systems Security Association
- Institute for the Certification of Computer Professionals
- Internet Society
- ISACA - Information Systems/Cybersecurity
- Mass Technology Leadership Council
- Software & Information Industry Association
- Storage Networking Industry Association