What can I do with a major in Music?
UGA Specific Information for Music
Music majors may focus on a number of distinct areas of specialization: Performance, music theory, voice and teaching. Performance students may specialize in developing skill with one musical instrument, while others may often specialize in a number of areas. Some students pursue careers closely related to music, such as performers, educators, songwriters, conductors, arrangers, composers and actors. Others choose careers behind the scenes, or in the business area of music in careers such as producers, engineers, managers, agents, and in publishing and sales. Many careers do not require a specific major but rather a wide range of demonstrated skills and accomplishments. Thus, some graduates pursue careers in fields quite unrelated to music. A bachelor's degree is sufficient for many entry-level positions, but for advancement in an area of specialization, an advanced degree may be required.
** Includes Self-Employed
- Hodgson School of Music Department Website
- HHSOM Student Organizations
- Collegium Musicum
- Music Teachers National Association Collegiate Chapter: T.O.N.I.C.
- UGA American Choral Directors Association
- UGA Music Therapy Student Association
- UGA's Chapter of the Collegiate National Association of Music Education (CNAfME)
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (Men's Social Fraternity)
- Sigma Alpha Iota (Women's Music Fraternity)
- Kappa Kappa Psi (Coed Professional Band Fraternity)
- To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the UGA Involvement Network
- Connect with your Career Consultant
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
- Build your professional network.
- Get involved and build your resume early.
- Consider internships and volunteer opportunities to demonstrate work ethic and experience through-out your resume.
- Join student organizations that fit your interests and career goals.
- Consider informational interviews of professionals within your field.
- Visit the career center website or career guide for more information about informational interviewing including questions to ask and a cold calling script.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Production Hub on LinkedIn
- LinkedIn Career Insights Tool (search what uga alumni do, what they studied, what they are skilled at, where they live, where they work and what they are skilled at)
Job Search Websites
- Production Hub
- Entertainment Careers
- ShowBizJobs (mostly LA & NY)
- FilmBiz Jobs
- My Music Job
- Musicians Contact
- Women in Music
- Careers in Music
- Music Online: Orchestras in the U.S.
- The Art Career Project
Possible Employers Who May Hire UGA Music Majors
Atlanta Symphony Orchestra | Christ Our Redeemer Catholic Church | EFX Corp | Metro City Bank | Milledge Wine & Spirits | N3 | St John’s Episcopal Church | The Home Depot | The Myers Crew
Possible Job Titles for UGA Music Majors
Business Development Representative | Communications Specialist | Loan Administrator | Music Director | Production Analyst | Shift Manager | Staff Singer | Talent Acquisition Coordinator | VP Information Technology