What can I do with a major in Russian?
UGA Specific Information for Russian
With Russian being the language of approximately 150 million people, students majoring in Russian study one of the major languages of the world. Primary emphasis for Russian majors is on Russian speaking countries found in Eastern Europe and countries in the former Soviet Union. The undergraduate program in Russian is designed to provide students with communicative proficiency in the Russian language and knowledge of important aspects of Russian culture. Having a greater sense of the Russian culture, these students are prepared for professions in government, politics, international relations and business, banking, trade, travel, or a host of other related professions. In fact, many companies in the United States and abroad are looking for employees who speak more than one language. The cultural awareness gained is a transferable skill that will be highly prized.
UGA Russian Career Outcomes for the Class of 2016*
** Includes Self-Employed
To find additonal clubs and organizations, visit the Center for Student Organizations.
And connect with your Career Consultant!
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
General Information and Strategies
- Choose an additional academic area of study to supplement the foreign language, preferably one that requires a high degree of technical skill. Most people with foreign language ability use those skills to assist them in a different career field such as business, education, journalism, law, etc.
- Related courses to study include geography, history, civilization, foreign relations, international law, and world economics.
- Plan to attend a private language institute to learn additional languages and cultures.
- Utilize a number of learning methods to develop language fluency. Combine listen and repeat drills, textbooks, audio lessons, and learning apps.
- Travel to a foreign country or study abroad in international exchange programs to develop your language skills and international/intercultural competency.
- Study and practice your foreign language skills by reading foreign newspapers, magazines, and books.
- Seek opportunities to interact with international students on your campus or members of your local community. Host international students, join relevant student organizations, and participate in international campus events.
- Watch foreign movies and listen to foreign broadcasts to maintain your fluency.
- Volunteer your language skills to churches, community organizations, and programs that work with people who speak your target language.
- Correspond with someone from a foreign country.
- Contact professional associations and read their publications to learn about job opportunities.
- Research job postings on the Internet to get an idea of jobs in which knowledge of a foreign language is useful.
- Participate in summer programs, co-ops, and internships to improve your skills.
- Network with others in the field to learn about job opportunities.
- In general, international positions are competitive and difficult to obtain. Be very proactive in developing the skills and experiences international employers seek.
- Get your foot in the door in domestic positions because many international employers promote current employees into international positions.
- Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. To search, select “groups” under the “interests” tab. Also, review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Interested in graduate school? Find current information on getting into graduate school at UGA’s Career Center webpage.
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- American Association of Language Specialists
- American Chamber of Commerce in Russia
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- American-Russian Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- Foundation for Russian American Economic Cooperation
- The Russian American Cultural Center
- United States Citizenship & Immigration Services