What can I do with a major in Turfgrass Management?
UGA Specific Information for Turfgrass Management
Turfgrass management is the study of the science and culture of fine grasses that are used on golf courses, athletic fields, home lawns, and other areas requiring an attractive but functional groundcover. Increasing interest in outdoor recreational activities as well as aesthetically appealing landscaped areas has created a demand for professional turfgrass managers. The turfgrass management major at the University of Georgia is unique in that it is the only 4-year turf program in the United States that is jointly administered by two departments. The combined effort of the departments of Crop and Soil Sciences and Horticulture provide greater resources to students in terms of laboratories, teaching equipment, demonstration field plots, faculty expertise, and course offerings.
** Includes Self-Employed
- College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Clubs and Organizations
- UGA Turf Club
- Horticulture Club
- Soil and Water Conservation Society
- Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS)
- Alpha Gamma Rho (Men pursuing careers in agriculture)
- Sigma Alpha (Women pursuing careers in agriculture)
To find additional clubs and organizations, go to the Center for Student Organizations
Connect with your Career Consultant
Additional UGA Career Center Recommendations/Considerations
Students that major in turfgrass management typically go on to work in golf course maintenance, professional lawn care, grounds maintenance, sod production, sales and service, athletic field maintenance, or research support.
If you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree, check out our website for assistance with this process
Supplemental Career Research Dashboard
Additional Career Research Resources
- O*NET (click on Find Occupations)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (type in general term for career of interest)
- Georgia Career Information Center (accessible only on campus computers)
- Career Insider: Vault Guides (Under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- Candid Career (View professionals speaking about their careers under the “Resources” tab and select “Online Resources”)
- The Golf Course Superintendents Association of America
- Sports Turf Managers Association
- Georgia Green Industry Association
- American Horticultural Society
- American Society for Horticultural Science
- Crop Science Society of America
Tip: Join LinkedIn groups that are related to your career interest. Need help finding groups? Check out the Groups You May Like link under the Interests/Groups tab. Review the groups that professionals in your field of interest have joined and consider joining them as well.
Graduate/Professional Schools Attended by UGA Turfgrass Management Majors for the Class of 2017*
Texas A&M University | The University of Georgia